Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery, frunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024 | 06:35 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Default Dead battery, frunk won't open

Yes, I know about the emergency access in the fuse box. It was the first thing I tried -- putting my battery charger on that at 10A gave me a dim left taillight and flickering right running light. No reaction to using the trunk release in the car or remote. Putting the charger on Jump Start mode still doesn't show any signs of life in the display or gauges but the frunk sort of reacts to the remote: I get what sounds like a mechanical release and a motor cycling but the frunk lid does not pop up.

I know about taking the front wheel off to get to the mechanical release but my torque wrench is in the frunk!

Any other ideas before I call for a tow truck to take it to the dealership?

In the past when my 997 had sat for weeks without being driven, I was able to use an AC-DC converter (6A output) that plugged right into the 14V socket and get enough life on the gauges to pop the frunk -- now, nothing I do seems to show any sign of life in the gauges or display. What gets me is that I had driven the car just a couple weeks before finding the dead battery condition. No wonder the previous owner had a trickle charger.
Old 09-02-2024 | 07:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

When you pull the tab out it is supposed to isolate the 12VDC line to just the front computer. I'm not sure why the taillight is coming on. But I speak from the 997 world and maybe the 991 world is different.

The biggest failure I see on the fuse box hookup is not getting an adequate ground connection.

You can remove the front half of the fender liner without removing the wheel. Fun? No. But it can be done. It might help get a bit more clearance if you raise that tire and turn the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
ROFLMAO (09-02-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 04:34 PM
El_Tigre
Instructor

I just did this earlier in the spring. You dont need to take the wheel off to pull the fender liner back enough to get to the manual release. I had the same problem because my lug nut key is in the frunk. I did however pull the wheel off to get the fender liner back in once I popped the frunk.
Old 09-03-2024 | 04:40 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
When you pull the tab out it is supposed to isolate the 12VDC line to just the front computer. I'm not sure why the taillight is coming on. But I speak from the 997 world and maybe the 991 world is different.

The biggest failure I see on the fuse box hookup is not getting an adequate ground connection.

You can remove the front half of the fender liner without removing the wheel. Fun? No. But it can be done. It might help get a bit more clearance if you raise that tire and turn the wheel.
the manual says to ground it on the door latch/hook
Old 09-03-2024 | 05:39 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeL31
the manual says to ground it on the door latch/hook
I get the same behavior whether I ground on the hinge or the latch. My guess is something got screwed up with one of the previous owners installed the dashcam.

I'll see if I can get to the fender liner without taking the wheel off. I should at least be able to jack that corner of the car up to get some clearance and room to work.
Old 09-03-2024 | 05:43 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

I have managed to release the frunk with a dead battery using the fuse jumper in the fuse panel by the driver side foot panel.

coincidentally, this past weekend, I decided to find this elusive cable in the front wheel well and will be posting a video about it soon. I agree that this would not be easy to get to without having the wheel removed, but it does seem like there are people who have done this. my guess is that if you can jack the front wheel up off the ground, then the wheel might lower sufficiently give you clearer access to remove at least the top part of the liner to get to this cable. I just took this picture over the weekend and you could see where I circled the cable.

before I put the wheel liner back, I drilled a small hole and rigged it so that this would never become a problem for me. Hopefully I never need to use it.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 09-03-2024 at 05:46 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
996scott (09-03-2024), Adams (09-13-2024), F355bob (09-03-2024), IRunalot (09-11-2024), q8linux (09-13-2024), thesaintusa (09-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2024 | 06:06 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I have managed to release the frunk with a dead battery using the fuse jumper in the fuse panel by the driver side foot panel.

coincidentally, this past weekend, I decided to find this elusive cable in the front wheel well and will be posting a video about it soon. I agree that this would not be easy to get to without having the wheel removed, but it does seem like there are people who have done this. my guess is that if you can jack the front wheel up off the ground, then the wheel might lower sufficiently give you clearer access to remove at least the top part of the liner to get to this cable. I just took this picture over the weekend and you could see where I circled the cable.

before I put the wheel liner back, I drilled a small hole and rigged it so that this would never become a problem for me. Hopefully I never need to use it.

That's a good idea!!!
Old 09-03-2024 | 06:21 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Thanks. The fuse jumper was my first thought and attempt. That almost always worked for me with my 997, have been frustrated that it doesn't seem to work on my 991.1 and I've tried grounding to the door hinge, the latch plate, even the two exposed bolts behind the gas pedal (and those were a real pain to get to. I'd be at the point of getting some spare wire and running it to the engine block if I could get to the engine block!

I guess I need to get in the habit of popping the frunk whenever I park in the garage so I can keep it on battery tender or at least get to the point of charging it if/when the battery has gone dead.
The following users liked this post:
cavemanmoore (09-07-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 07:38 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Thanks. The fuse jumper was my first thought and attempt. That almost always worked for me with my 997, have been frustrated that it doesn't seem to work on my 991.1 and I've tried grounding to the door hinge, the latch plate, even the two exposed bolts behind the gas pedal (and those were a real pain to get to. I'd be at the point of getting some spare wire and running it to the engine block if I could get to the engine block!
What type of electrical source are you using? A trickle charger? Battery tender? Direct connection to another 12v car battery?
Old 09-04-2024 | 04:18 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

What type of electrical source are you using? A trickle charger? Battery tender? Direct connection to another 12v car battery?
I have an old battery charger that puts out 10A for trickle charge and I think 30A for jump start.
Old 09-09-2024 | 04:47 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Had a 10A charging going on it all day yesterday (and sporadic long periods during the past week). Somehow got enough charge into the system to let me pop the frunk last night. I put it on a 3A trickle charge from my battery tender overnight and that still wasn't enough to register displays early this morning so I put it on 10A slow charge for about 3 hours (to the point that the charger was only reading 5A when I had to leave the house).

I did notice the battery just passed 4 years old in July so I think it's just a matter of the battery going bad -- I'm going to replace it completely this week -- but lesson learned: I'm popping that frunk and putting it on tender unless I know for a fact that I'm using it the next day.
Old 09-09-2024 | 08:01 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Yes, I know about the emergency access in the fuse box. It was the first thing I tried -- putting my battery charger on that at 10A gave me a dim left taillight and flickering right running light. No reaction to using the trunk release in the car or remote. Putting the charger on Jump Start mode still doesn't show any signs of life in the display or gauges but the frunk sort of reacts to the remote: I get what sounds like a mechanical release and a motor cycling but the frunk lid does not pop up.

I know about taking the front wheel off to get to the mechanical release but my torque wrench is in the frunk!

Any other ideas before I call for a tow truck to take it to the dealership?

In the past when my 997 had sat for weeks without being driven, I was able to use an AC-DC converter (6A output) that plugged right into the 14V socket and get enough life on the gauges to pop the frunk -- now, nothing I do seems to show any sign of life in the gauges or display. What gets me is that I had driven the car just a couple weeks before finding the dead battery condition. No wonder the previous owner had a trickle charger.
We offer a solution that is a Harness kit that connects directly to the Batteries Terminal Clamps and routes to be hidden behind the edge of the Hood of the Porsches. It allow you to hook up our MICRO-START Jump STarter in literally 2 seconds to your battery and jump start the Car or Trigger the Frunks Remote Latch. The reason it works so well is because it is allowing the Jump Starter to supply the energy directly to the Cars entire system rather than through the thin gauge wire at the Fuse Panel. You can see it here... and there is a video on the page you can see how it works.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...arness-msa10c/

Old 09-09-2024 | 09:44 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

I'll just leave this right here in case anyone needs it

The following 5 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
21forever (09-10-2024), q8linux (09-13-2024), thesaintusa (09-13-2024), tilac999 (09-10-2024), whuht (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 10:51 AM
brianmch
Advanced

I know that this may not be relevant any longer, but I was totally stymied in getting the frunk open a few weeks ago on my 986. Wheel lock was inside runk (never again) so the fender liner trick was NA. This has become my Cassandra effort.

I had hooked the jumper **** to several different chargers unsuccessfully. FINALLY saw a YT vid wherein you connect a functional 12V battery between the jumper **** and charger, which will then allow the charger to operate correctly through it to release the Frunk. Something about a totally dead battery that won't let them operate properly and the functional intermediate 12V didn't have enough ummph to power the release either.
The following users liked this post:
Omnigeek (09-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 04:31 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Trickle charger/maintainer didn't do the job. I used regular jumper cables hooked up to my X3, frunk popped open immediately. I don't think these chargers have enough juice. Charger juiced the battery overnight, back to normal. Try that before removing your bumper.

Quick Reply: Dead battery, frunk won't open