991.1 Rear Suspension Maintenance - Bushings

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 991.1 Rear Suspension Maintenance - Bushings

I recently bought a 2016 base Carrera 2 with 38K miles. It's always hard to gauge the history of an 8-year-old car, but there are no obvious signs of track use. It’s been 15 years since I last owned a 911, an '07 GT3, even so, a lot about this newer car is familiar.

On a recent drive through some twisty mountain roads, I noticed during right turns, the left rear felt like it was toeing in under compression. I turned off traction control to rule out any inside wheel braking. If it makes a difference, the tires are PZeros. This morning, I took off both rear wheels, expecting to find worn suspension bushings, but a visual inspection and some pressure testing with a long bar revealed that both sides felt similar. I checked all the linkages, and while I could deflect the upper toe arm, lower control arm, and lower wishbone the most, the upper control arm and upper slanted arm felt solid.

My testing wasn’t at a professional level, but nothing seemed obviously wrong. I’m curious if others have had similar experiences with the 991.1, and if it's common to find worn bushings on a relatively low-mileage car. Any insights?

The car is nearly due for its 40K mile service. It looks like bushing replacement is not an option from Porsche. I'd be fun to thake the car to a few DEs, but I am not looking to make it a track car. Are there any good aftermarket 'street' bushings available to the DIYer?

Thanks for your input,
Hank

Old Today, 12:13 AM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Not likely on that millage, it's a light car with limited power.
On the unnecessary opinion side nice wheels, horrible taillights.
Old Today, 12:50 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
Not likely on that millage, it's a light car with limited power.
On the unnecessary opinion side nice wheels, horrible taillights.
It's somewhat ironic. Prepurchase, I liked the taillights as they were different, but not so much the wheels. It's a Black Edition and came with those wheels as standard. The car was ordered with additional equipment option XXG, clear glass taillights. Now the wheels look more normal and the taillights, well, interesting, I think. For now, they're staying.

Back to the suspension, something doesn't feel right back there. Need to get in on a track to be able to tell.

Hank

Quick Reply: 991.1 Rear Suspension Maintenance - Bushings