Sponsored by:

GT3 Mirror Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 09:16 PM
jm82911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 Mirror Upgrade

So I upgraded my folding, dimming mirrors with the GT3 mirror from Suncoast. After having them installed the reverse mirror dip no longer worked. It would dip but not go back to its original position after driving above 20 mph as did the original mirrors. So with a Porsche master mechanic at local dealer, Porsche authorized body shop technician and one of the best independent Porsche shops to me, none could not get the mirror to return back to its original position. The Porsche mechanic said the GT3 mirrors did not come with the reverse dip option. So not that I don't believe them, I thought I would put it out to the general population here to see if anyone else has experienced same affect after upgrade, or maybe find what everyone here has missed to get it to work.

Old 08-21-2024, 11:34 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Doesn't make sense to me...
All you did is replace the shells, internals are original to your car.
Unless I'm missing something, it should work other than fold function.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 08-21-2024 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:02 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I do not know if my mirrors are the same, but they look exactly like your photo .. 991.2 tts with sport design mirrors (from vinanalytics build sheet).

Mine tilt down to see rear passenger contact patch and tilt back to normal when moving forward
Old 08-22-2024, 01:28 AM
jm82911
Rennlist Member

Suncoast sends new shells, mirrors, harness and motors. So it is a complete replacement. You can not reuse the folding mirror shell with the GT3 shell. Or so I am told by Porsche mechanic. rumble-bee, mine is a 991.1 not a .2. They are actually different. <shrugs>
Old 08-22-2024, 01:56 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Do you have seat memory/comfort sertings? It was discovered that reverse tilt was predicated on that in the 991.

Try all the steps in post #10 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9663...t-woeking.html

Different? Why does suncoast say that the gt3/sport design mirrors fit all 991?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991MIRROR.html

“Sport design mirrors add a more aggressive look to 911 models. . . .

Fits the following models:
- 911 Carrera or Carrera S 2012.5 - 2019 (991 & 991.2)
- 911 Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, & Targa models 2013 - 2019 (991 & 991.2)
- 911 Turbo or Turbo S models 2014 - 2019 (991 & 991.2)

in any case mine look like that and are named the same as the ones in suncoast gt3 mirror package, and they tilt down and go back back up afterward.

I was going to research some coding on them, but since they are different, I’ll just wish you good luck.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-22-2024 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:44 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Hard to understand why mirror would go down but not back up.

Do you have seat memory? If you press the 1 or 2 memory button on your door, will the mirror move back up?
Old 08-22-2024, 12:57 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Does the mirror go back up when you turn off and exit/lock the car?

Do you have the "mirror tilt on reverse" in your MFD menu? If so, toggle off,exit and key fob lock the car. Unlock and turn back on, and then toggle the mirror tilt back on.Save to Key now. Then complete the full process in my post above. Make sure your mirror selector switch is selecting the Passenger side. While still in "R" and after you have moved the mirror to your desired dip position, Hit the Seat save button to key.

The initial save in my process should save the normal mirror position. The second (R) save should save the dipped setting. In theory you now have both normal and R settings saved to your key.

I am speculating the the normal saved position is not there as the outputs from the mirror are different now. The above hopefully gets all the values needed saved. If there was not a "valid" normal position stored ... it does not have anything to return to after the dip.

All of these mirror settings are actually a part of the seat memory.

I wonder if factory installed Sport Design mirrors are coded vs normal mirrors .. maybe the system sees different outputs from the two mirror types. A lot of 991 turbos have the sport design mirror like mine and they all tilt/return normally.

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-22-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:42 AM
bill edwards
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reinstall your original . Very it works as designed. Only 2 options then are possible: 1- Suncoast aftermarket new one doesnt work as original
2- your install was at fault . No other possible
Old 08-23-2024, 04:03 PM
jm82911
Rennlist Member

After legnthy conversations with Suncoast, my local Porsche dealer's master mechanic and their shop Forman, as Bill said, the mirror sold by Suncoast DO NOT support the reverse option. The stock mirror comes with two gyroscopes built in the mirror. It requires two of these to go from normal road driving, curb view and then back again. The GT3 mirrors from Suncoast do not have the motors or wiring to support it. If you enable the reverse feature, it will go down to the curb view, but not able to go back to normal driving mode. The mechanic looked to see if they could swap motors and wiring and try a hybrid Frankenstein config but the motor mounts within the shell are different. Considering the cost of these mirrors, paint and labor it is kind of shame the do not operate as completely as GT3 mirrors installed on GT3. Going to post a review on Suncoast to the fact.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:50 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Well that definitely sux.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:39 PM
jm82911
Rennlist Member

I mean, I really like the look and would have purchased them anyway. As you put it, it just sux that Suncoast noted they don't fold, they forgot to note this particular feature. When I notified them of course you talk with a person when buying something, but then sent off to send an email if you have concern. Shrugs, first world problems at the end of the day.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:56 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

I think they are full of BS, if the mirror position can be stored for different seat or key memories that is all that is needed. The glass position is just read by a position sensor. That how it knows where to move for different memories.. that same stored memory position would be used for the reverse dip, I call BS.

Gyroscopes, really? Not a simple position sensor? Blow more smoke please.

Applications of gyroscopes include inertial navigation systems, such as in the Hubble Space Telescope, or inside the steel hull of a submerged submarine”

They have given up and are now trying to use made up **** to get you to do the same.

What is different from the mirror in the photo below (2017 911 turbo 991.2) and the gt3 mirror?

I have the mirror in the photo and it does all the reverse dip and revert properly.

If you look through this thread this mirror design is a popular option on the turbos … I am confused what the difference is. I am sure, like mine, that all of those Turbo(s) with this mirror design have reverse dip and revert.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...el-thread.html

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-23-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by jm82911
After legnthy conversations with Suncoast, my local Porsche dealer's master mechanic and their shop Forman, as Bill said, the mirror sold by Suncoast DO NOT support the reverse option. The stock mirror comes with two gyroscopes built in the mirror. It requires two of these to go from normal road driving, curb view and then back again. The GT3 mirrors from Suncoast do not have the motors or wiring to support it. If you enable the reverse feature, it will go down to the curb view, but not able to go back to normal driving mode. The mechanic looked to see if they could swap motors and wiring and try a hybrid Frankenstein config but the motor mounts within the shell are different. Considering the cost of these mirrors, paint and labor it is kind of shame the do not operate as completely as GT3 mirrors installed on GT3. Going to post a review on Suncoast to the fact.
This is False!

I have this mirror upgrade from suncoast and my and the wiring and motors do support this function. At least it does in my car.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:09 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Back to my earlier question. Do you have seat memory?

Do you have the mirror Option in the MFD?

Last edited by Rumble-Bee; 08-23-2024 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:29 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with Rumbe-Bee, a "setting" might be off. It doesn't make sense that it will go down but not up, lol. Maybe ask someone with a Thikdiag unit to check the coding for you.

Quick Reply: GT3 Mirror Upgrade