Sponsored by:

New potiential buyer 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:24 AM
faheezus
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New potiential buyer 991.1

Looking to purchase my first Porsche, I am in talks with a dealer for 991.1 C2S (2012), is there something I should be on the look out for? Any glaring issues with that generation?

Additionally, I will be getting a private PPI done, can I request they check on spark plugs, brake fluid, leakdown/compression test etc? The service history doesn't have those things changed, I guess the previous owner went to an indy and not in the records.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance, very excited to join the club.

Last edited by faheezus; Today at 10:26 AM.
Old Today, 10:41 AM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by faheezus
Looking to purchase my first Porsche, I am in talks with a dealer for 991.1 C2S (2012), is there something I should be on the look out for? Any glaring issues with that generation?

Additionally, I will be getting a private PPI done, can I request they check on spark plugs, brake fluid, leakdown/compression test etc? The service history doesn't have those things changed, I guess the previous owner went to an indy and not in the records.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance, very excited to join the club.
Congrats. I am in the same boat and from what I learned so far, these cars are very solid, no issues to focus on with the 991.1. However, I do suggest you do the complete PPI on it.
What is the mileage on it and what price range are you getting on it? is it a 6MT or PDK? Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, what else?
Old Today, 10:42 AM
faheezus
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
Congrats. I am in the same boat and from what I learned so far, these cars are very solid, no issues to focus on with the 991.1. However, I do suggest you do the complete PPI on it.
What is the mileage on it and what price range are you getting on it?
Around 60k miles and around $70k. Seems like a fair price point, I think.
PDK, Sport Chrono, Premium Package. Basically all the things I want or need lol

Last edited by faheezus; Today at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DR_DFW (Today)
Old Today, 11:29 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do a PPI I'd basically just be looking for signs of an accidents, rodents and brake pad life. I wouldn't bother with compression or such on a 991.1. I'd just plan to change the fluids and w/o maintenance background probably change the plugs & drive belt. Cars are very solid. I've bought two w/o PPI relying on Carfax and had no issues, bought from reputable dealers.
Old Today, 11:40 AM
faheezus
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
If you do a PPI I'd basically just be looking for signs of an accidents, rodents and brake pad life. I wouldn't bother with compression or such on a 991.1. I'd just plan to change the fluids and w/o maintenance background probably change the plugs & drive belt. Cars are very solid. I've bought two w/o PPI relying on Carfax and had no issues, bought from reputable dealers.
Thank you for your response and advice.
Old Today, 03:27 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes. 2012's had a problem with body seam sealing from the factory, which leads to water ingress into the interior. That water then destroys electrics.

There was a campaign which 2012 and 2012.5 model years got under warranty -- but I looked at 2 that had *not* had it done and I thus passed on them because I live in Oregon where it rains endlessly 9 mos of the year and didn't want to chance it. I would not buy an early build (2011 build, 2012 model year, and it went into 2012 build dates of 2012 model year) ** IF ** the campaign has not been done. BTW, I'm told all 2013 model years (even built in 2012).

Additionally, I think if the campaign was done and there's a record of it, the car should be done. So - proceed without hesitation.

The campaign involved going to the body shop and a fair amount of disassembly and rework + adding body seam sealer where they didn't put it from the factory. Mostly up front around the front trunk and firewall.

WC25 - this one is a big one - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/MC-10109316-9999.pdf
WC30 - slightly less big deal - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...09307-9999.pdf

Otherwise, 2012's seem to be just as solid as the other years of 991.1.

The 2 cars that I liked without the campaign completed were both Southern California cars. The owners probably never knew, it never rained enough to cause issues... and thus the campaign was not done.

You can read my thread about this here when I was looking for a 991 -- Rennlist thread I started

Last edited by Nashvegas; Today at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New potiential buyer 991.1