Sponsored by:

991.2 steering wheel upgrades/customization

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 12:46 PM
HydroDawg88
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 991.2 steering wheel upgrades/customization

I have a 2018 911 Carrera 2 dr coupe (991.2) with a 7-speed manual transmission (no paddles)

I'm looking to purchase a steering wheel that I can send off to have wrapped in Alcantara, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I removed the drive mode selector from the current wheel and install it on a similar steering wheel?
  • Does Porsche make a 'D' shaped steering wheel?

2) Can I add these buttons for the radio, phone, etc..? Are they 'plug & play'? Links below
3) I need a recommendation for a shop to add the Alcantara and/or sources for either an OEM or aftermarket wheel.

I'm not opposed to using the current wheel. I just don't want to have to wait 4-6 weeks to get the wheel back.

Any advice or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS!

Old 06-24-2024, 01:49 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

I'll try to answer as I've done some of what you want to do. Of the two ebay listings you have, only the 2nd one will work with your wheel. The other multi-function controls are for a different vehicle (Macan maybe?). Also, it's not just the buttons that have to be replaced. You need to have the proper control module which would have to come out of a car with similar configuration as yours in order to function without dealer programming. That means that you would want a controller from another 991.2 that had BOTH manual transmission AND Sport Chrono. In my case, when I found a set of controls AND controller that came out of a vehicle with the same configuration, then it was pretty much plug & play. Others have not had it so easy presumably because the controller need to be re-programmed by dealer. I hope all of that makes sense.

I don't believe that Porsche makes D shaped wheels. Lastly, if you search around (google), you will find a number of companies that will retrofit your existing steering wheel how you would like in terms of appearance.(ie. wrapped in Alcantara). There's one company I see advertising a lot of Facebook that you could give a call to and see if they can help. There are probably others that are less expensive. Bottom line is you'll generally spend less if you provide your own 'core' wheel than if you are asking to buy one ready made.

Good luck and be sure about what you're buying on ebay. Not all sellers can tell you exactly what you need to know about what vehicle the parts came out of. I bought mine from an ebay user named 911ava. He was indeed able to provide me the detail I needed at the time I purchased my controller to make the right decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
HydroDawg88 (06-25-2024), IRunalot (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:37 AM
HydroDawg88
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I'll try to answer as I've done some of what you want to do. Of the two ebay listings you have, only the 2nd one will work with your wheel. The other multi-function controls are for a different vehicle (Macan maybe?). Also, it's not just the buttons that have to be replaced. You need to have the proper control module which would have to come out of a car with similar configuration as yours in order to function without dealer programming. That means that you would want a controller from another 991.2 that had BOTH manual transmission AND Sport Chrono. In my case, when I found a set of controls AND controller that came out of a vehicle with the same configuration, then it was pretty much plug & play. Others have not had it so easy presumably because the controller need to be re-programmed by dealer. I hope all of that makes sense.

I don't believe that Porsche makes D shaped wheels. Lastly, if you search around (google), you will find a number of companies that will retrofit your existing steering wheel how you would like in terms of appearance.(ie. wrapped in Alcantara). There's one company I see advertising a lot of Facebook that you could give a call to and see if they can help. There are probably others that are less expensive. Bottom line is you'll generally spend less if you provide your own 'core' wheel than if you are asking to buy one ready made.

Good luck and be sure about what you're buying on ebay. Not all sellers can tell you exactly what you need to know about what vehicle the parts came out of. I bought mine from an ebay user named 911ava. He was indeed able to provide me the detail I needed at the time I purchased my controller to make the right decision.

https://youtu.be/6rcDboTKw4Y
THANKS! This is good info. I really appreciate it!

Do you know the proper name for the control module that I need? Or perhaps a part #?
Old 06-25-2024, 10:31 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroDawg88
THANKS! This is good info. I really appreciate it!

Do you know the proper name for the control module that I need? Or perhaps a part #?
If you go to 4:15 in the video, you'll hear me read off the part number for the one I used in my car (95B.959.256.F) It actually came off a GT2RS with PDK, so I may have been mistaken about the transmission having to be the same to avoid reprogramming by dealer. Again, I may have just gotten lucky.

If you do a googles search for that part number, it does seem like you can buy them from Porsche parts dealers.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:48 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Did you consider getting a temporary substitute wheel to use while your original gets recovered?

Quick Reply: 991.2 steering wheel upgrades/customization