Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag warning after seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024 | 07:20 PM
ShootingSight
AutoX

Default Air bag warning after seat removal

I pulled the passenger seat from my 991.2. Now the airbag warning light stays on. Is there a way to reset this, either with an ODB, or via the dealer, or do I need to short two wires in the plug, or do I put black electrical tape on the dashboard?
Old 06-05-2024 | 07:28 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Mine reset after a few drives when I pulled out my seats. Just make sure the connectors are fully seated.
Old 06-05-2024 | 10:02 PM
ShootingSight
AutoX

Sorry, I did not pull and re-install. I did a passenger seat delete for my dogs, so it will remain disconnected.
The following 3 users liked this post by ShootingSight:
Got Bearings? (06-05-2024), justabout (06-05-2024), mamsp (06-09-2024)
Old 06-05-2024 | 10:41 PM
Kethran
Track Day

If the seat is completely removed, I believe you would need to follow the process detailed in this thread, though I presume only the settings pertaining to the passenger seat would need to be changed: https://www.planet-9.com/posts/2196907/

If you do not have access to a PIWIS, I have found these settings are available using a ThinkDiag OBD tool as well, though I have not tested it yet myself (will be giving it a try in a couple weeks when I have all the parts to swap seats on my Cayman). So attempt at your own risk.
The following users liked this post:
ShootingSight (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024 | 10:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

You need a few things and it won’t cost a ton. I would source a passenger side wiring harness from a 911 or panamera. You would need a few things to make this work.

1.) seat position sensor - easily removed from your seat

2.) occupancy bladder from eBay

3.) occupancy compute from your existing seat

4.) resistor for the passenger side airbag

5.) a seatbelt receptacle from your old seat or one from eBay from a Panamera or 911 or cayman or similar era.

6.) wiring harness from a 911 or Panama or cayman to plug all the above in OR take the one off your existing seat.

without all the above items plugged in the computer will always throw an airbag light.

good luck

ShootingSight (06-05-2024)
Old 06-08-2024 | 05:10 PM
Kethran
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kethran
If the seat is completely removed, I believe you would need to follow the process detailed in this thread, though I presume only the settings pertaining to the passenger seat would need to be changed: https://www.planet-9.com/posts/2196907/

If you do not have access to a PIWIS, I have found these settings are available using a ThinkDiag OBD tool as well, though I have not tested it yet myself (will be giving it a try in a couple weeks when I have all the parts to swap seats on my Cayman). So attempt at your own risk.
As follow up to my earlier suggestion, I tried editing these settings with my ThinkDiag today and unfortunately trying to change any of the settings in the airbag coding category resulted in a "write code failed" notification. So I went with the backup plan and just disabled the relevant warning lights in the instrument cluster coding category, appears to have worked (it let me code it without issues at least, will see when I remove the seat next weekend if this actually keeps the light from coming on).

Not an ideal solution though because with the light disabled, it won't come on if one of the other airbags has an issue.

If I can't find a way to make it work with ThinkDiag, will probably ultimately either buy/borrow a PIWIS or try improvising all the necessary connections to the wiring harness as the other poster suggested.
Old 06-08-2024 | 05:52 PM
ShootingSight
AutoX

Called my dealer, they said Porsche does not give them the ability to get into the config side of software - all those options are greyed out.

Called Porsche NA, they had never been asked this question before, had no idea how to address it, had no idea where to direct me to ask further.

Might try calling Porsche Germany.

Actually, I have found that the light is pretty easy to ignore. I'd still like that it worked, so if I had a fault with any of the other airbags, I'd know. But failing that I can live with it.

Pulled out the rear seat and fabricated a shelf that just about comes even with the top of the transmission tunnel, giving me max flat space in the back, so now set up as a 1 person + 2 dog daily driver. I just have to drive easy when they are with me.
Old 06-08-2024 | 06:10 PM
ShootingSight
AutoX

Originally Posted by Joec500
You need a few things and it won’t cost a ton. I would source a passenger side wiring harness from a 911 or panamera. You would need a few things to make this work.

1.) seat position sensor - easily removed from your seat
2.) occupancy bladder from eBay
3.) occupancy compute from your existing seat
4.) resistor for the passenger side airbag
5.) a seatbelt receptacle from your old seat or one from eBay from a Panamera or 911 or cayman or similar era.
6.) wiring harness from a 911 or Panama or cayman to plug all the above in OR take the one off your existing seat.

without all the above items plugged in the computer will always throw an airbag light.

good luck
I like this approach - just read that the occupancy sensor is coded to the car, so it has to be the one from my original seat. Not an ersatz part.

Last edited by ShootingSight; 06-08-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2024 | 11:48 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShootingSight
I like this approach - just read that the occupancy sensor is coded to the car, so it has to be the one from my original seat. Not an ersatz part.
This is not true, the sensor itself has does not need to be coded. There is a calibration that should be done with a piwis, I have one.

i actually just did this using an eBay occupancy sensor.

ShootingSight (06-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Air bag warning after seat removal