Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety for rear seat passengers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 11:13 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 501 Posts

Great family vehicle if you have the right mindset.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
Blu311 (07-29-2024), ieatfishburritos (07-29-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:38 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

If you want your kids to be safe, I don't think a smallish car, even one like a 911, is the answer,

IMO - I would never consider using a 911 as a daily transport device for kids ... there are soooo many more appropriate vehicles for children.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:17 AM
pranayh
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to share an update in case it helps future parents who are considering a 911.

I learned from local Porsche dealer that certain generation and trims of the 911 do have rear side curtain airbags. Here's a quick summary
  • 991.1 - the Turbo and Turbo S have have side curtain airbags that cover the rear passenger in the event of a side impact (base and S models in both 2 and 4 do NOT have side curtain airbags protecting the rear passengers)
  • 991.2 onwards - all trims of the 911 have side curtain airbags that cover the rear passenger in the event of a side impact
This has been confirmed by looking at the parts diagrams for these cars (my rep at the local dealer shared these with me). I also checked this myself by looking at parts diagrams online available through third parts sites. You can also download the manuals from Porsche themselves but I did not do this given I already got the info from my local dealer.

Attached is an airbag parts schematic for a 991.1 TT (you'll see the side curtain airbag curves all the way around so that it goes to the C pillar. Also attached is a photo of a crashed 992 TTS where you can see the side curtain airbag.

Finally, someone commented above that you want to avoid airbags near young children. This is the case with front airbags because they deploy at an extreme force in order to become large enough to offer protection to the occupants. The side curtain airbags work in a very different way. They deploy down (not out towards the occupants). Additionally, in the US, the side curtain airbags remain inflated for a few seconds in order to protect passengers in the event of a rollover. Given the different ways in which these airbags operate, you DO want side curtain airbags to protect children so that they heads do not hit a hard object in the event of a side impact.

The following 2 users liked this post by pranayh:
ieatfishburritos (07-29-2024), Nashvegas (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 04:21 PM
HNSC4S
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

[

Thanks for this information-really nice to know.

matt

QUOTE=pranayh;19569831]I wanted to share an update in case it helps future parents who are considering a 911.

I learned from local Porsche dealer that certain generation and trims of the 911 do have rear side curtain airbags. Here's a quick summary
  • 991.1 - the Turbo and Turbo S have have side curtain airbags that cover the rear passenger in the event of a side impact (base and S models in both 2 and 4 do NOT have side curtain airbags protecting the rear passengers)
  • 991.2 onwards - all trims of the 911 have side curtain airbags that cover the rear passenger in the event of a side impact
This has been confirmed by looking at the parts diagrams for these cars (my rep at the local dealer shared these with me). I also checked this myself by looking at parts diagrams online available through third parts sites. You can also download the manuals from Porsche themselves but I did not do this given I already got the info from my local dealer.

Attached is an airbag parts schematic for a 991.1 TT (you'll see the side curtain airbag curves all the way around so that it goes to the C pillar. Also attached is a photo of a crashed 992 TTS where you can see the side curtain airbag.

Finally, someone commented above that you want to avoid airbags near young children. This is the case with front airbags because they deploy at an extreme force in order to become large enough to offer protection to the occupants. The side curtain airbags work in a very different way. They deploy down (not out towards the occupants). Additionally, in the US, the side curtain airbags remain inflated for a few seconds in order to protect passengers in the event of a rollover. Given the different ways in which these airbags operate, you DO want side curtain airbags to protect children so that they heads do not hit a hard object in the event of a side impact.

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-29-2024, 07:09 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

the way that I have my seat set back to fit my 6 ft body there is no way anything with legs will fit in the back seat behind me.
Old 07-30-2024, 04:28 PM
Dirty Jacket
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pranayh
I wanted to share an update in case it helps future parents who are considering a 911.

thank you for this. I feel much better now as I do daily the car with my young kids comfortably in the rear.

Quick Reply: Safety for rear seat passengers