Sponsored by:

New 991.2 Owner - A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 01:23 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts
Default New 991.2 Owner - A Few Questions

I've owned my 991.2 C2S for about a month now and so far I'm loving it. Having just come from a 997.1 C2S, the performance and refinement of the 991.2 has been a welcome upgrade. I've spent a lot of time researching here on Rennlist and elsewhere, but was still hoping for a little clarity on the following:

- Climate Control always comes on
I think I already know the answer to this, but figured I would double check with the braintrust. Is there a way to program the climate control to remain off when you get in a start your car? I was able to program it so that the AC doesn't come on and the temp setting remains the same, but I rarely use the climate control in my 911 and on the rare occasion I do, I'll just turn it on myself. From the threads I've read here and from talking to my sales rep at Porsche Palm Springs, it sounds like the climate control will always come on regardless of programming the key and the individual settings. Does anyone here know of a way to program your settings so it remains off?
- Rear Axle Steer Alignment
So far I'm really digging RAS. It makes the car feel as small as my old 997 in tight corners, but also makes it feel more stable at speeds without if feeling like it is intrusive or even there. My question is how much does a dealer or an Indy typically charge for a 4-wheel alignment on a car with RAS? Also, has anyone here had any issues with RAS? Alignment issues, components failing, etc.? It seems like a fairly straight forward and robust system, I'm just curious if there is any longer term cost of ownership issues with RAS equipped cars that I should be aware of. Also, is it worth rotating the tires side-to-side every 5k miles or is that even worth the hassle considering the 15k-20k mile lifespan of summer performance tires?
- Brake Dust
A common mod/upgrade on the 997's is to upgrade the brake pads to Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. I did this myself on my 997 and noticed an 80%-90% decrease in the amount of brake dust produced with no noticeable difference in performance with street use, even during spirited canyon runs and hard braking going into corners. Coming back to OEM pads, I'm already missing my Hawk pads from my 997. It does not appear that Hawk makes pads for 991 S's from what I can tell. I emailed Hawk to find out if they do make them, or intend to at some point, and have not heard back yet. Does anyone here have any brake pad recommendations that significantly reduces brake dust?
- Oil
I know, I know, it's a hotly contested debate and everyone has a different opinion on what oil to use, but I do geek out on the subject a bit. Having just come from a 997.1 the bore scoring PTSD is real, and used oil analysis was a way of life for many of us. While I realize that the 3.0L engines in the 991.2's are fairly robust, I intend on keeping my car for a while and want to make sure it maintains its reliability. I'll be doing my own oil changes and will likely do used oil analysis at least to start in order to get a baseline. Yes, I've searched here but am not finding many results. That's probably a good thing considering that most people don't even worry about which oil they use as long as it is A40 approved. I'm not looking to start a debate here, but if anyone has any good links here on Rennlist or elsewhere (preferably with UOA results), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Climate control is inexplicably part of the entry+drive system. As far as saving it as completely "off" I'm not sure, I think you can only save it at minimum speed?

For RAS alignment, these cars are comically easy to align. I can't stress how simple, basic, and straightforward alignment is on the non-GT 991. $120-180 is reasonable around here for a four-wheel, as it's only a 45 minute process. Unless you're replacing a RAS motor, which have a very low failure rate, the fact that it exists has no bearing on the complexity of the alignment.

There are lots and lots of threads about brake pads, rotors, and dust. I always just ran OEM and just washed the car semi-regularly so I don't have much of an opinion or advice here, but there are a handful of preferred options to reduce dust and maintain most of the stopping power.

Oil. Please let's not make this yet another oil thread. Any approved oil in any remotely close to approved weight changed at an interval that can be described as "regular" will be just fine.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:23 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
.. I'm not looking to start a debate here…
Which oil
Oh buddy, at least you didn’t ask if the 10k mile oil change interval is okay, or if you can wait longer than 4 years to change your spark plugs…
The following users liked this post:
asellus (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 02:24 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Hawk yellow box ceramic pads for the 991.2S:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...c8rcbjudd3f0o5

I noticed exponentially less dust compared to factory pads.

When my 2017 C2S with RAS was last aligned, the tech said the only nuance with the RAS was that the ignition needed to be on when he aligned the rear.

Last edited by awittig; 05-25-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:30 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
Climate control is inexplicably part of the entry+drive system. As far as saving it as completely "off" I'm not sure, I think you can only save it at minimum speed?

For RAS alignment, these cars are comically easy to align. I can't stress how simple, basic, and straightforward alignment is on the non-GT 991. $120-180 is reasonable around here for a four-wheel, as it's only a 45 minute process. Unless you're replacing a RAS motor, which have a very low failure rate, the fact that it exists has no bearing on the complexity of the alignment.

There are lots and lots of threads about brake pads, rotors, and dust. I always just ran OEM and just washed the car semi-regularly so I don't have much of an opinion or advice here, but there are a handful of preferred options to reduce dust and maintain most of the stopping power.

Oil. Please let's not make this yet another oil thread. Any approved oil in any remotely close to approved weight changed at an interval that can be described as "regular" will be just fine.
Noted! Thank you. I think you're correct with the climate control, at least that is as far as I have gotten. Good to know re the alignment. I'll keep looking for brake pad alternatives. I was hoping to hit the easy button with Hawk but will need to do some more research.
Originally Posted by MingusDew
Oh buddy, at least you didn’t ask if the 10k mile oil change interval is okay, or if you can wait longer than 4 years to change your spark plugs…
Haha, fair enough. I plan on changing the oil every Fall regardless of miles (usually around 3k-4k for me annually). My spark plugs have already been changed so not looking to tackle that anytime soon....
Old 05-25-2024, 02:38 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by awittig
Hawk yellow box ceramic pads for the 991.2S:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...c8rcbjudd3f0o5

I noticed exponentially less dust compared to factory pads.

When my 2017 C2S with RAS was last aligned, the tech said the only nuance with the RAS was that the ignition needed to be on when he aligned the rear.
Good find. Thank you! When I searched the Hawk website and entered my year, make, and model, the only parts they had listed were brake fluid. Nothing came up from Hawk when I searched Amazon using the same search criteria. I'll confirm the part number but it looks like these will be a winner. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:26 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-9...gines-special/

some easy reading to calm your PTSD.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:55 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Welcome to your 991. If you would like the tech sales manual, PM me with your email.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:12 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by rensoyka
https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-9...gines-special/

some easy reading to calm your PTSD.
Great article. Thank you. That article seems to confirm what I thought I remembered reading a while back regarding the new cylinder plating technology on the 3.0L turbo engines.

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Welcome to your 991. If you would like the tech sales manual, PM me with your email.
PM sent. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New 991.2 Owner - A Few Questions