Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if it ticks all the boxes, but doesn't have sport chrono...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 12:35 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but can't the Sport Chrono function be added by a dealer (without the clock, obviously)? I know quite a few people who did that on their 997's but it might be more complicated, if even possible, with a 991.2.

How long have you been searching and what are your must-have options? I know it's hard with so many modern 911 variants and options to get everything you want so there is no right answer here. Another option is to buy the car and if you still find yourself missing Sport Chrono, you could always keep searching and buy a different one in a year or two. However, as others have mentioned, there are some work arounds to not having Sport Chrono and you may not even miss not having it.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2024, 08:36 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Honestly if you really like the car and it has a manual transmission and everything but Sport Chrono (SC) you'll learn that the only thing SC can't do for you is right there in your own feet.

Once you realize that, the car and your own skills will give you a lot more fun than a "Sport Chrono" option could ever do.

In short, learn to heel and toe.

I promise you, you will be a happier driver and have a lot more fun.

It ain't that hard. And you won't have an ugly wart on your dashboard.

Even with a PDK/automatic.

Porsche has made millions selling SC IMO and it isn't worth ka-ka. You can punch the same buttons on the console for the most part.

Last edited by George from MD; 05-25-2024 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:05 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe you can retrofit sport chrono.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:56 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Again I beat the **** out of mine in normal mode and would be lucky to hit 9 psi boost. in sport 2 on chrono I see 13psig all the time. Sooooo drive it as hard as you can and see if you hit 13 psi boost easily, if so then Chrono can be skipped if not then you will never get the acceleration that the chrono package gives you. I asked many times before but nobody would ever give me an answer if a non chrono base will hit max boost easily.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Slick top MT is rare

I would add a tune and call it a day. The slick top part is very hard to find. For some reason everyone wants a hole in their roof. Also you can add the clock and if you do track there is aftermarket rev matching. For AX its all 1st gear.
The following users liked this post:
tiiger (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:07 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I would add a tune and call it a day. The slick top part is very hard to find. For some reason everyone wants a hole in their roof. Also you can add the clock and if you do track there is aftermarket rev matching. For AX its all 1st gear.
That's my plan. Watched a few sport-chrono-clock install vids, and seems quite doable if I want it.

On the rev-matching, I wanna get better at heel-toeing anyway.

On the sunroof... Yeah, it took forever to find an E46 wagon with a 5-speed and sport suspension with a slicktop. I love having the top down in my miata, but I am not a sunroof guy.

Last edited by tiiger; 05-27-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Bud Taylor (05-29-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:17 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
This may be a dumb question, but can't the Sport Chrono function be added by a dealer (without the clock, obviously)? I know quite a few people who did that on their 997's but it might be more complicated, if even possible, with a 991.2.

How long have you been searching and what are your must-have options? I know it's hard with so many modern 911 variants and options to get everything you want so there is no right answer here. Another option is to buy the car and if you still find yourself missing Sport Chrono, you could always keep searching and buy a different one in a year or two. However, as others have mentioned, there are some work arounds to not having Sport Chrono and you may not even miss not having it.

Good luck!
The clock can be added, but it's just the clock. (And a stopwatch. You can control it from the dash tho, so that's cool.) I do like the way it looks.

But for must-haves, otherwise, this car has 'em all.
  • Miami blue (graphite blue metallic was #2)
  • 7MT
  • Slicktop
  • Sport exhaust
  • Graphite blue interior (black is fine, but was great to find something different)
  • Heated seats
  • Carrera sport wheels (the five-spoke ones) ... could always add later, but love that this already has them.
That's basically it.

Anyway, we're talking. He's only mildly interested in selling, and I'm not pushing him too hard. But it's a perfect car and hopefully we can strike a deal.

Fingers crossed.
jfischet (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 11:17 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

The only thing SC does for me is the auto throttle blip, pops/burbles in the exhaust and extremely bad mpg.

The compromise with my car was no sport exhaust so you can’t really hear the popcorn backfiring unless you’re in a parking garage.

Quick Reply: if it ticks all the boxes, but doesn't have sport chrono...?