Sponsored by:

Independent Porsche Maintenance in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 02:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Independent Porsche Maintenance in San Diego

In lieu of going to one of the 2 local Porsche dealerships, I had been going to Vollig in San Diego for service. Unfortunate, the business is no longer there for specifics unknown to me. Vollig will be missed as they offered full service, had some great techs, provided track support, built race cars to spec and had their own fabricator, AND they had Master tech Gary. As I found out over my time as a Vollig customer, Gary, and the owner Adam, their techs are world class.

Fast forward to present day, with Vollig no longer an option, I needed a venue for the annual oil change on my 991.2 GTS car. As a matter of personal preference, I didn't want to go to a Porsche dealer preferring independent service. I recalled having some track prep work done on my former 991.1 S car at INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS, less than a mile from the former Vollig shop. They advertised their focus on comprehensive BMW, Mercedes and Audi service, all the major brands with with the exception of Porsche. Fortunately for us Porsche owners in the San Diego area, times have changed. INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS now additionally offers Porsche service, and to top it off, they hired Master Tech Gary, when his former employer Vollig went out of business. They continue to offer service for BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

On May 14th, 2024, I took my car in to INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS and had the oil changed...everything went well. They put in the best oil and filter, and noting they have a PIWIS that is required to reset the oil mileage counter. And for us Porsche owners having center lock wheels, INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS acquired aHYTORQ device that makes center lock wheel removal and installation safe and sane. No need for a 48" breaker bar and a monster 3/4" torque wrench.

In closing, the shop not only is spacious, it is immaculate. If you live in the San Diego area, INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS is a god send. Also note, the the price I paid for the oil and filter change was competitive, and almost certainly better than I would have seen at a Porsche Dealer. Final note, they also do work on track cars, and on the weekends, Gary does offer track support through a 3rd party....and also note, the owner Chris, is a Porsche racer, with POC and PCA. They know track prep here.

INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS
9220 Mira Este Court
San Diego, CA92126
independentmotorcars.com

(Note: No compensation was received for this endorsement.)

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-15-2024 at 02:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Martin S.:
911BOSS (05-16-2024), huntflyer (06-20-2024), jt3sd (06-20-2024), LargePuppy (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

Agree. Also, the owner, Chris Kiefer, is a great guy. Gary is a genius mechanic.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:33 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Thank you @Martin S. for sharing this! I just moved to the Del Mar area and this solved one my questions I had (reliable local Porsche tech)
The following users liked this post:
huntflyer (06-20-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 05:20 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Chris is as honest as they come and a really good guy. @LargePuppy, make sure you take that Large Puppy to Del Mar dog beach before it becomes leash only for the summer- mornings are great if its low tide.

Old 06-19-2024, 08:52 PM
KINGHURL
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Adam Gill, formerly of Vollig is back in business at a location close to his old place in San Diego. So another great independanet Porsche shop is back.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:28 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGHURL
Adam Gill, formerly of Vollig is back in business at a location close to his old place in San Diego. So another great independanet Porsche shop is back.

Name? Location?
Old 06-19-2024, 10:11 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

It will be a one-man show. No name yet. He's still getting the shop set up.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:48 AM
jt3sd
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Another positive experience @ Independent Motorcars

Thanks Martin..

I too was a very pleased Vollig client . Adam and Gary had done great work on both my Macan GTS and 911T .

I did some research on alternatives after Vollig closed , 2 shops kept getting referred ; HG Autohaus in San Marcos , and Chris / Independent Motorcars right around the corner from where Vollig used to be.

Chris responded almost immediately to an inquiry email I sent , I chose to have them do my annual Oil Service on the 911 , CPO inspection ( CPO ends soon) , and coding my new Sport Design rear spoiler ( reduce angle of attacks ) .

Long/ short , I felt immediately comfortable the second I walked into his immaculate show/ waiting room , viewed the shop , then met and spoke with Chris who took care of me personally.

They did great work and I had a positive experience , Chris was articulate and engaging to communicate with - he knows his stuff , they won me as a client . 2 thumbs up

Old 07-02-2024, 11:23 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking

The spreadsheet info on GT4 4.0 engine failure is shocking. Not really relevant to me as I have a 2017 991.2 GTS and I am NEVER going back to NA engines. I never thought I'd say this, but 2 1/2 years with this car has made be a "true" believer.

Quick Reply: Independent Porsche Maintenance in San Diego