Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 01:07 PM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

How many miles on the car? May want to try full PDK service and recalibration.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:32 PM
Otakugamer
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneSequence0
All, thank you for your input so far.

Maybe I did not explain it properly. The car did not accelerate further and was revving at 5000rpm. I was still pushing max or almost max throttle. It was like the car was hitting a limiter. The car should have either accelerated further and increased rpm until redline, or shift and accelerate. This happened 4 times in a row, in automatic and also in manual mode while shifting using the shifting pedals.

Very weird indeed. Today I was at the mechanic and we could not reproduce the issue. There are also no error codes to be found.
When you say you could not reproduce the issue at the mechanic, does it mean at max throttle the car then kept accelerating and finally shifted from 3rd to 4th?

Were you driving it any differently? Or was it the mechanic test driving the car?
Old 04-16-2024, 03:47 AM
GeneSequence0
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ktnielsen
How many miles on the car? May want to try full PDK service and recalibration.
It has 93k miles on it. Thanks, will talk about it with the mechanic.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:53 AM
GeneSequence0
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dannyk304
If what you're saying is that the car, under full Open Throttle acceleration only goes to 5k RPM and hangs there without shifting or going beyond 5k, yes, sounds like an issue. But in may not be the PDK at all, more ECU related. Could also be PSM related. Curiously, you have no codes or fault warnings? Do you notice the yellow PSM light come up on the dash when this happens? If the PDK were having a mechanical issue to not allow it beyond 5k I'm sure there'd be some warning. If the PSM is acting up, perhaps it believes everything is normal and so no warning. My take based on the limited info. Good luck.
There were no lights flashing and no error codes whatsoever. However they did find a CV-joint boot leaking grease on the front right, which they are now fixing. Could this support your PSM theory? According to the mechanic this it not connected to the behaviour I described.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:00 AM
GeneSequence0
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Otakugamer
When you say you could not reproduce the issue at the mechanic, does it mean at max throttle the car then kept accelerating and finally shifted from 3rd to 4th?

Were you driving it any differently? Or was it the mechanic test driving the car?
I tried to reproduce the problem myself with the mechanic next to me, and the mechanic tried it also by himself. The car behaved completely normally.

I now suspect that the issue only occurs under certain conditions. Maybe it has to do with environmental variables (air pressure / humidity) or when certain parts are at a certain temperature. [edit: or something similar to a “loose screw”..] Best case is that this was a temporary hickup where the computer had to adjust to these conditions / relearn something.

I also called Porsche yesterday and they said without being able to reproducee the issue, it could be a million things. They were not able to point me into a direction.

In the next few weeks I will testdrive thoroughly and hope to have my phone ready for a video in case it happens again.

Last edited by GeneSequence0; 04-16-2024 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:13 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneSequence0
There were no lights flashing and no error codes whatsoever. However they did find a CV-joint boot leaking grease on the front right, which they are now fixing. Could this support your PSM theory? According to the mechanic this it not connected to the behaviour I described.
Doubt the CV boot would cause it. The only thing I can think of that proactively limits the engine's power is the ECU which could be caused by various issues. But since there's no fault code or limp mode happening, it seems the ECU thinks the restricted power is called for not induced by a mechanical issue. Hence my theory of PSM issue. But could be something else. It is a strange behavior, interested in your follow-up when you find out.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:42 PM
jan86
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

it happend when was car warmed up? I had on R8 there was rev limiter on 3500rpm until you reach 60C I believe 911 have also cold rev limiter

Last edited by jan86; 05-16-2024 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with PDK?