Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS / Sport Chrono / PSE / Loss of 4WD problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024 | 09:27 PM
Swooop
5th Gear

Default PIWIS / Sport Chrono / PSE / Loss of 4WD problem

Hi all - hoping you could help me with a coding problem (I've read dozens of threads on this subject). First, I have a 2014 991.1 4S. Love it!!! Factory Sport Chrono (sport and sport+ buttons). PSE was NOT one of the options.

After driving around with the exhaust vacuum lines removed and plugged for a few months, I decided I need the button so I can turn it off sometimes (there is a drone at highway speeds). So I installed a new center console with the added PSE button.

Using PIWIS 3, coded the PSE button just fine. Works like a charm. Part of the PSE coding procedure calls for automatic coding of all control modules. After doing this, it seems I have 2 new problems.

1. Sport and sport plus buttons no longer work. Error message: 'Sport mode not available'. I've read that you need to add the 16 digit hex code to re-enable these modes even if they are factory equipment. The shop I'm working with doesn't know about it so I asked my dealer and they also don't know about it. I know I can go find a code on the internet somewhere but rather keep it somewhat legit. I've read that some menus in PIWIS require the code to enable sport chrono and some menus don't, but the PIWIS I have access to doesn't seem to have those options.

2. 2nd error: 'Loss of 4WD, only rear-wheel drive - Possible to drive on'. I have no idea why this popped up considering only software was changed. I thought it was related to the PSM button not being programmed correctly, so we went back in and made sure each button was programmed correctly, then did the auto-coding process and the error still shows up. The PSM and PASM buttons function as intended. What is it about the center console and the auto coding that messes with the 4WD system?

Please!!!! Any thought on how to overcome either of these issues? I'm very much missing sport button! I was ready to give up and ask the dealer to fix it, but they don't even know how to fix it and they've never head of a 16 digit code.

Thank you all!
The following users liked this post:
corsica13 (04-03-2024)
Old 03-13-2024 | 09:53 PM
VII7
Racer

Your problem is in the 'Automatic coding of all modules', that was not necessary and you have apparently miss coded a few modules.
You likely will need to have modules recoded by dealer with legitimate current PIWIS.
​​​​
Old 03-13-2024 | 10:02 PM
Swooop
5th Gear

Got it. That certainly makes sense for the 4wd error. Perhaps I just need to enable specific control modules if they are present on the car. Maybe there is module that sets the S and 4S apart. I'll take a look.

​​​​​​Any thoughts on how I can find out which control modules should be enabled based on my factory set of options?

Also, for clarity, definitely using a legit PIWIS 3 from my local porsche indy shop (with the help of their technician). They seem to know more than my local dealer.

Thanks for the quick reply!
corsica13 (04-03-2024)
Old 03-14-2024 | 02:11 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Ooh, awesome. You may have solved a mystery for me.

I was tracking hard one day and Bing! Up came a “Front Diff failure” error. 🤣

I thought WTF. I pitted. Turned car off and back on again, and it was gone. The interesting thing was, my car is RWD 🤣.

I figured the E-Diff was struggling and over heating. I’ve since changed to a full mechanical diff from OS Giken and never had an issue since. But you have solved the mystery as to how it was even possible.

i had been to the dealer and they wiped my reverse camera when trying to get rid of the error of front park sensors no longer there when i swapped to GT3 front bumper.

later attemps they deleted my bluetooth icon. Morons.

i bet they mass programmed modules and left AWD.

cheers.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 03-14-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2024 | 02:19 PM
VII7
Racer

It's not enabling modules but rather the coding in the modules, it seems like something went very wrong and who knows how many items in how many modules are coded incorrectly.
I am not versed on the details of current Porsche diagnostics but on other brands online SCN would return your car to match your build spec. This is easily performed by a dealer.
​​​​​​
Old 03-14-2024 | 07:01 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VII7
It's not enabling modules but rather the coding in the modules, it seems like something went very wrong and who knows how many items in how many modules are coded incorrectly.
I am not versed on the details of current Porsche diagnostics but on other brands online SCN would return your car to match your build spec. This is easily performed by a dealer.
​​​​​​
This was the dealer that caused this.
Old 04-03-2024 | 07:23 AM
corsica13
1st Gear

Hello, i have the same problem on my 991.1 c4s, after coding all modules with non official piwis.

Any tuto to go back ?
Thanks a lot !
Old 07-01-2024 | 09:56 PM
Swooop
5th Gear

Update!
Dealer fixed it for $400. All they did was go through the error messages 1 by 1 and fox each one. Obvious answer, but one of the codes it was throwing was 'clutch class missing'. The piwis message said to go under the car to find the clutch class printed on some other part. Well, the tech did what piwis told them to do and all was well. I think there were 4 codes and each one was fixed based on the recommendations from piwis.

Got an oil change for an extra $400 while I was there. Wow... Thought the $70 oil change for my other car was expensive. Boy was I wrong! For the record, dealers quotes on the area for oil change were between $380 and $700. Nuts!

Originally Posted by Swooop
Hi all - hoping you could help me with a coding problem (I've read dozens of threads on this subject). First, I have a 2014 991.1 4S. Love it!!! Factory Sport Chrono (sport and sport+ buttons). PSE was NOT one of the options.

After driving around with the exhaust vacuum lines removed and plugged for a few months, I decided I need the button so I can turn it off sometimes (there is a drone at highway speeds). So I installed a new center console with the added PSE button.

Using PIWIS 3, coded the PSE button just fine. Works like a charm. Part of the PSE coding procedure calls for automatic coding of all control modules. After doing this, it seems I have 2 new problems.

1. Sport and sport plus buttons no longer work. Error message: 'Sport mode not available'. I've read that you need to add the 16 digit hex code to re-enable these modes even if they are factory equipment. The shop I'm working with doesn't know about it so I asked my dealer and they also don't know about it. I know I can go find a code on the internet somewhere but rather keep it somewhat legit. I've read that some menus in PIWIS require the code to enable sport chrono and some menus don't, but the PIWIS I have access to doesn't seem to have those options.

2. 2nd error: 'Loss of 4WD, only rear-wheel drive - Possible to drive on'. I have no idea why this popped up considering only software was changed. I thought it was related to the PSM button not being programmed correctly, so we went back in and made sure each button was programmed correctly, then did the auto-coding process and the error still shows up. The PSM and PASM buttons function as intended. What is it about the center console and the auto coding that messes with the 4WD system?

Please!!!! Any thought on how to overcome either of these issues? I'm very much missing sport button! I was ready to give up and ask the dealer to fix it, but they don't even know how to fix it and they've never head of a 16 digit code.

Thank you all!
ieatfishburritos (07-01-2024)
Old 07-12-2024 | 06:33 PM
JJohn95
4th Gear

@swoop Do you mind sharing what Dealership was able to reprogram it? I'm dealing with a similar issue on a 991 Targa.

Quick Reply: PIWIS / Sport Chrono / PSE / Loss of 4WD problem