Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Chip(s) Require Entire Hood To Be Resprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
2hot
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Yeah I like Blue Metallic too
Old 03-15-2024, 01:09 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 408 Posts

I would remove the old PPF, have the hood properly detailed and reapply new PPF. I believe you’ll forget about it and just enjoy the car.

A quick side story to backup my reasoning. Back in ‘09 I bought a 997 turbo., Funny enough it only had PPF halfway up the hood. Certainly wasn’t enough to prevent me from buying the car but did wonder why not just go all the way. Inevitably the area not covered had some small chips. I didn’t like it but let it be. I knew when I replaced the PPF next I would address it then. One afternoon driving on the freeway a car in front of me kicked up a piece of tire and it nailed my front bumper - leaving a significant black smear. The PPF held up but wouldn’t polish off. Bingo, time to replace the yellowing old film anyway. Took the car to my detailer who also does PPF and had the whole front recovered. Had the car properly cleaned and prepped prior. Never even noticed any blemishes from that point forward and proceeded to put another 15k miles on it before selling.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2024, 11:36 AM
ERinEC
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

After giving this more thought after everyone's responses, I think the best course of action is to have the PPF removed from the hood, do my best to touch up the affected area on my own, and then have new PPF installed. Totally understand that rock chips are inevitable, given my car is NOT a garage queen.

I daily the car (along w/my E92 M3) and track it too, so of course the risk of incurring imperfections in the paint goes up substantially.
IMO, spending $1K to respray the entire hood isn't worth it and I'd rather this money go into my mod fund.

Last edited by ERinEC; 03-15-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2024, 12:06 PM
hopetogolf
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2hot
Good morning everybody I want to chime in on this. You’re chasing the ghost. It’s gonna be a continuous thing you’re going to constantly do if you’re gonna drive on the highways today it’s unavoidable stress out about it and keep throwing good money after bad or just enjoy the ride and don’t worry about it, I’ve had two Porsches five Corvettes these vehicles that sit so low to the ground. It’s kind of built-in. It’s baked into the cake deal with it and live with it or you just keep throwing money down the drain or you just keep it in the garage and never take it out , good luck to all that running into this problem because it’s an inherent problem and today there’s too many cars and trucks on the road and there’s too much crap on the road and it’s unavoidable. I said you buy the car to drive it’s gonna get road rash or you just keep it in the garage and walk around with a drink in your hand and look at it and say god that’s a beautiful looking car isn’t it .cheers !
Good advice….as a new owner, I think I’m going to approach things this way.

I’ve owned my 2021 C2S for about 4 weeks. The previous owner installed PPF and owned the car for 9500 miles and the PPF was pristine. I wonder if the previous owner got lucky, never took longer trips, or never drove at speeds fast enough to kick up debris. I put 1000 miles on the car and have two small tears in the film but hoping the paint is fine underneath. I came to this thread to see how folks approach rock chips since they seem inevitable for the way I drive or the roads I’m on or both. I think I’m going to try not to stress or think about this much and instead drive the car.

Last edited by hopetogolf; 07-21-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:38 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

if you dont have a garage queen.... drive it until you HAVE to repaint the hood or maybe thats just my philosophy lol!
most my rock chips etc have a story because I USE my car aka mountain runs and track days.

Chips in headlights hood.. bumper..
eventually I'll respray, re-ppf, and have rennlights do the lights when it goes into garage queen mode,

Last edited by snake eyes; 07-22-2024 at 12:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by snake eyes:
nsau (07-22-2024), rwbern (07-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Rock Chip(s) Require Entire Hood To Be Resprayed?