Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any sureshot way of knowing a car was used as a PEC car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024 | 09:03 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

The dealer should be more helpful regardless. When I was looking for a M5 Comp I ran into this very scenario. Interestingly, one of the telltale signs for the M5’s I was looking at was carbon brakes. The majority of used M5’s with the carbon brake options were prior BMW track cars. I’m not claiming every M5 with this option is a prior BMW track car, but since it’s a more rare option on them that was my experience. The carfax was typically a sign as well, with each car being sent off to dealers with a unique gap for the first couple of years. I also found there were a few dealers where these were commonly sent to. Likely part of their business model to take advantage of a good profit margin. One salesperson I came across was completely open about it, and others took some questioning, and then days later would confirm. Often the pitch was an executive or VIP car, and indeed some were that, but in every instance I was able to get confirmation eventually by being persistent. I’m not claiming cars used in this manner are junk, but I firmly believe it should be disclosed. Some I saw were in awesome condition and others not. The salesperson shared many repairs that were made on lots of cars while they were in use as track vehicles. I don’t believe these were on the carfax either. He was literally reading from some documentation that came with each vehicle that described its history. Again, the person was totally open about it and I thanked him for the details. There was zero pressure and he gladly shared the history.
The following users liked this post:
9Gyarah (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024 | 09:10 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
wouldn't engine hours versus chassis miles be a strong indicator?

This! Do the math and figure out average mph during its life. Regular cars typically fall in the 20mph-35mph range.
Old 02-28-2024 | 09:54 AM
Nashvegas
Pro

Originally Posted by ///M///
They didn't provide one.
You said it's a CPO car, which would imply it's from a Porsche dealership. If they pull it up in their system, on the main screen it says the originally-delivered dealership/location (same info as the window sticker)
Old 02-28-2024 | 03:09 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
You said it's a CPO car, which would imply it's from a Porsche dealership. If they pull it up in their system, on the main screen it says the originally-delivered dealership/location (same info as the window sticker)
Yes it's a Porsche dealer and I have always seen this issue at Porsche. They all claim there is not national database they can look at and it's only their own dealership. Carfax shows another dealer who originally sold this as a CPO. Called them but they were no help either claiming it's over 5 years old and their systems don't go that far back which is essentially BS.
Old 02-28-2024 | 03:11 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
wouldn't engine hours versus chassis miles be a strong indicator?
How does one get engine hours?
Old 02-28-2024 | 03:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///M///
How does one get engine hours?
You can get it from your DME report or from a scanner or your dealership. It's not going to matter anyway. Porsche warms up their PEC cars by idling them. So engine operating hours are adding up with no chassis miles. Also, the PEC tracks are not fast tracks so the average speed is not going to be high. There will be no way to tell if this was a PEC car by comparing engine and chassis mileage.
The following users liked this post:
9Gyarah (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024 | 06:14 PM
HardRider
Racer

I went to the PEC website of all the cars I didn't see one base 992. "lowest" 911 was an S. Maybe they don't use base models at PEC?
Old 02-28-2024 | 07:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HardRider
I went to the PEC website of all the cars I didn't see one base 992. "lowest" 911 was an S. Maybe they don't use base models at PEC?
They have the 718 base but not the base 911.

Quick Reply: Any sureshot way of knowing a car was used as a PEC car?