Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024 | 09:29 AM
Indenial
Rennlist Member

Default Touch up paint

I removed the gloss black rims/tires on my 2015 911 for my annual cleaning and coating. I have a few small (lead pencil sized) white dings on the black rims. What have people used to mask the chip? I tried, unsuccessfully, to use a Sharpie and didn't like the result.
Old 02-25-2024 | 09:46 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I would order touchup paint from dr colorchip. Keep in mind whenever you're doing touchup, it isn't going to look as good as a full wheel refinish. However, it will look better than Sharpie.

https://drcolorchip.com
Old 02-25-2024 | 12:32 PM
SConn
Drifting

If your wheels are just gloss black and the chips are small, any gloss black touch up paint should work just fine. Check out Amazon for a generic touch up pen.

A sharpie is great in a pinch, but the color is a bluer black and has no sheen so that's probably why you aren't happy with it.

I used to use Dr Colorchip for all my paint touch up kits but have switched to Scratches Happen. Great quality kits and cheaper than Dr Colorchip. I wouldn't buy either kit just to touch up a gloss black wheel though.
Old 02-25-2024 | 07:24 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would order touchup paint from dr colorchip. Keep in mind whenever you're doing touchup, it isn't going to look as good as a full wheel refinish. However, it will look better than Sharpie.

https://drcolorchip.com
I find I can get an almost imperceptible match by blending, wet sanding, clear coating, wet sanding, polishing. I’m a little more adventurous with repairing wheels than body panels though, because if I really botch it up I’ve got a guy who will repaint the wheel for $150. There are a lot of good videos on YT that show how to do it, and you can buy cans of spray paint that are color matched to the wheels.
Old 02-25-2024 | 10:57 PM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Originally Posted by Indenial
I removed the gloss black rims/tires on my 2015 911 for my annual cleaning and coating. I have a few small (lead pencil sized) white dings on the black rims. What have people used to mask the chip? I tried, unsuccessfully, to use a Sharpie and didn't like the result.
I've had great results with the Dr. ColorChip touch-up paint. It's easy to apply, and the color matching is spot-on for my black rims. What I love is the blending solution they provide – helps smooth things out for a seamless finish.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint