Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't even know where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024 | 07:56 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Default Don't even know where to begin

So I have a 2017 911 Carrera 4 GTS. All of a sudden I got an Engine too hot pull over now warning. I was close to home so i went home. I waited a half hour. I put some coolant in and i "test drove" to the store just a couple of miles away. I immediately got the warning again! I didn't even go to the store. I turned around, and when I pulled into the garage I took the following video. I really hope someone can access the below link. What the heck would you do next. ( I know I just opened myself up a bit on that one) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlC...usp=drive_link
Old 02-07-2024 | 08:03 PM
doctj
Instructor

Oh no!
sorry to see this
I’d have it towed to the mechanic of your choice or dealer. Wouldn’t drive it.
The following users liked this post:
Seth K (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024 | 08:29 PM
slowrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seth K
So I have a 2017 911 Carrera 4 GTS. All of a sudden I got an Engine too hot pull over now warning. I was close to home so i went home. I waited a half hour. I put some coolant in and i "test drove" to the store just a couple of miles away. I immediately got the warning again! I didn't even go to the store. I turned around, and when I pulled into the garage I took the following video. I really hope someone can access the below link. What the heck would you do next. ( I know I just opened myself up a bit on that one) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlC...usp=drive_link
Have you had your water pump replaced yet? Might be that considering that 2017-2018's were known for this and they have 10 year warranties on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by slowrey:
EXFIB (02-14-2024), Seth K (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024 | 08:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I put some coolant in. What the heck would you do next.
Why would you need to put coolant in if it was at the correct level and it wasn't draining out of the vehicle.

Diagnose it. By the way, what did the coolant temperature read as all this happened.
Old 02-08-2024 | 08:18 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

I haven't and YES I remember the letter now. That's my first call in the AM. Feel better already. Thanks. :-) @slowrey
EXFIB (02-14-2024)
Old 02-08-2024 | 08:22 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Why would you need to put coolant in if it was at the correct level and it wasn't draining out of the vehicle.

Diagnose it. By the way, what did the coolant temperature read as all this happened.
Never said it was at the correct level. I did fail to mention that I also got a "put coolant in immediately" warning. The level was low and it the needle was pinned. Does that help Dr. House?
fsmich (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024 | 02:41 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Water pump. They pretty much all go bad in the .2 at some point. Porsche extended their warranty on that part specifically. Dealer will take care of it if your mileage isn't too wild.
Old 02-13-2024 | 02:48 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Water pump. They pretty much all go bad in the .2 at some point. Porsche extended their warranty on that part specifically. Dealer will take care of it if your mileage isn't too wild.
Yes Sir. Believe that was the issue. At the dealer now getting same verified. Should be no problem. Dodged a bullet there! Thanks for your response.
Old 02-13-2024 | 05:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I did fail to mention that I also got a "put coolant in immediately" warning.
That bit of info helps and tells you have a leak somewhere because coolant simply does not disappear.
Old 02-13-2024 | 05:33 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That bit of info helps and tells you have a leak somewhere because coolant simply does not disappear.
You have a real knack for this stuff. Did you happen to see the video. Or read the part about the trail of coolant I left up the driveway? Appreciate your response.

Ps. Found it.
fsmich (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024 | 05:47 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

that's a lot of coolant for just a water pump seal, it usually drips out, not rivers out. it could be, but I'd be more inclined to look at a possible crack in the coolant reservoir.
Old 02-13-2024 | 06:05 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rensoyka
that's a lot of coolant for just a water pump seal, it usually drips out, not rivers out. it could be, but I'd be more inclined to look at a possible crack in the coolant reservoir.
Not sure how I would have done that. You can drive this thing sideways at 140mph and nothing breaks and the car is like "yeah? that's all you got?" LOL but it's at the dealer. I'll be happy to report back here after I get word. I hope the fricken pump is broken though at least at this point or i'm going to be paying for the whole take down / put back together and then all the funny crack jokes I'm thinking in my head right now but not typing out of respect for this magnificent vehicle aren't going to be nearly as funny anymore. :-)
Old 02-13-2024 | 06:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

You have a real knack for this stuff. Did you happen to see the video.
I tried back when you posted it and it would not open. Clicked the PLAY triangle several times on my tablet and nothing happened. Never an issue with YouTube though.

Old 02-13-2024 | 06:46 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Not sure how I would have done that. You can drive this thing sideways at 140mph and nothing breaks and the car is like "yeah? that's all you got?" LOL but it's at the dealer. I'll be happy to report back here after I get word. I hope the fricken pump is broken though at least at this point or i'm going to be paying for the whole take down / put back together and then all the funny crack jokes I'm thinking in my head right now but not typing out of respect for this magnificent vehicle aren't going to be nearly as funny anymore. :-)
truth, but it gets rather hot in the engine compartment and heat/cold cycles will eventually take their toll on plastics.
Seth K (02-14-2024)
Old 02-13-2024 | 08:04 PM
RonanQuinn
Cruisin'

You don't crack the reservoir by doing anything, the reservoir cracks from the heat cool cycles.
I had a coolant loss issue on a 997 I had that was only apparent when hot and didn't leak when parked up.
Pressure test on the system showed it leaking from a crack in the plastic. Warranty replacement.
Does not explain that river of coolant you have there though.
Like the other person replying, I can't play the video and your original post suggested it was an overheat without fluid loss.
IXLR8 (02-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Don't even know where to begin