991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell or keep? 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024 | 12:13 PM
K996
Racer

Ha! I was going to provide a counter opinion but you have already decided and that's good too!

Honestly once you've got the car sorted out to know if it has any problems and fixed them, I think keeping it isn't a bad idea at all.
Most of my vehicles are older and there is a point where some components are exceeding their design or service life and you're replacing things you wouldn't normally expect (rubber, plastics, etc.). Certainly I dont think your car is near that point but it is something to keep in mind over the next several years.
I also don't know the Porsche market in Sweden so while that sounds like a very good price, the only question is if you wanted a newer or different Porsche and that helped you get it. Otherwise... yeah why sell?

Great photos by the way!
I spent some time in Uppsala and the Swedish countryside and archipelago is just incredibly beautiful in summertime. (I would probably find other places to spend winter though
The following users liked this post:
Robbie_swe (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024 | 12:29 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john981
This is a great offer. If I would be you, I would try to find a newer model maybe with lower mileage and sell and get that one. Here in the US the prices have started to fall. Something like yours would, depending on condition and location go between $55-$70k.
Newer isn't necessarily better and the thing hardly has any miles on it.(< 4k a year).
Prices is Europe are very different to the US market, where folks tend to cycle through their (leased) cars like a pair sneakers.
Old 02-06-2024 | 12:58 PM
Atheist
Racer

Well you state you can make a profit on the car after 5 years of ownership. I say take the $86K and add something to it and move up to a newer, lower mileage GTS or GT3 or Turbo S or GT4. With the rate you put miles on the car most any Porsche will probably turn out to be similar on the back end. As we say in stock market investing, the hardest thing to do is to sell at a high. People tend to fall in love with a stock that has gone up. Don't be afraid to take a profit and not look back. There is always another good stock out there. Apply that to cars when the opportunity arises, which in the car world is very seldom. If someone wants to overpay you for a car you used basically for free for 5 years, well that's tough to pass up. You don't need the money spend it on another Porsche only better and drive it more. Just my opinion.
Someone asked me the other day if my car was for sale as he felt it was the perfect "gentleman's car" for him. My answer I hadn't thought about it but, everything's for sale I suppose. Make an offer I can't refuse.
Old 02-06-2024 | 02:20 PM
RP4S911
Pro

You'll eventually start chasing that feeling again after you sell it. There will always be a "newer 911". Imagine the guys that traded in their 993's for a 996. If its paid off it's free fun, and a 991.1 will always age marvelously ....but if you need to sell, family and priorities always come first, not a car.
Old 02-06-2024 | 02:26 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by Robbie_swe
The return is good, bought it 5 years ago for 75k, now I have received a serious offer of 86k.
Feels like it was nice to discuss my thoughts here with you guys also.
After the night's sleep, I have decided to keep. I'm happier getting into my 991 and driving it than look at my bank account.
Just saw this and I agree. Why do we work? Why do we make money? To look at a number online, or is it to enjoy our lives for the little glimpse in history that we're lucky enough to be on this planet? I've seen someone save cash their entire life and live a life they truly didn't want.. just so their kids get free money when they die unexpectedly and they blow it all on things they want, leaving nothing left of their 40years of hard work and saving.
The following 4 users liked this post by RP4S911:
awittig (02-07-2024), Cityfisher (02-11-2024), Dgags (02-06-2024), RRF985 (02-07-2024)
Old 02-06-2024 | 02:44 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
Newer isn't necessarily better and the thing hardly has any miles on it.(< 4k a year).
Prices is Europe are very different to the US market, where folks tend to cycle through their (leased) cars like a pair sneakers.
A 13 year old 991 will have lots of parts which needs to be checked, replaced, serviced. If PDK and not done yet, the PDK service is due and don't forget this was the first model year of the 991, which might have some potential issues which were corrected for the later model year. If this would have been my car, I would sell and either look for newer model bigger engine (whatever I always dream of) and pay the up charge or if you want to stay with 991.1 get a 2016 model year with low miles. That was the last model year of 991.1 and had taken care of all the small issues.

Last edited by john981; 02-06-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2024 | 02:22 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robbie_swe
Now I’ve got a really great offer, 86.000 USD.
That might be a good deal in the US, but what will it buy you in Sweden. Used car prices vary depending on where you are buying.
Maketrax (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024 | 10:16 AM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atheist
Well you state you can make a profit on the car after 5 years of ownership. I say take the $86K and add something to it and move up to a newer, lower mileage GTS or GT3 or Turbo S or GT4. With the rate you put miles on the car most any Porsche will probably turn out to be similar on the back end. As we say in stock market investing, the hardest thing to do is to sell at a high. People tend to fall in love with a stock that has gone up. Don't be afraid to take a profit and not look back. There is always another good stock out there. Apply that to cars when the opportunity arises, which in the car world is very seldom. If someone wants to overpay you for a car you used basically for free for 5 years, well that's tough to pass up. You don't need the money spend it on another Porsche only better and drive it more. Just my opinion.
Someone asked me the other day if my car was for sale as he felt it was the perfect "gentleman's car" for him. My answer I hadn't thought about it but, everything's for sale I suppose. Make an offer I can't refuse.
Totally agree with this ^^^ . Consider taking the money and turning it into a 2015-2016 GTS! Thats what I did and couldn’t be happier. I had a 2012 C2S just like you. When the market got good I sold it (I enjoyed that car for 5 years, also drove about 4k a year) and sat on the money and waited until I found my current 2016 GTS. Paid 95k for my GTS so had to throw a little more money at it. I always thought I’d look at moving up to a GT3 touring someday but I’ll admit the 991.1 GTS is just so damn good I wonder if I’ll ever sell it.

However, if you absolutely love your current car and its specs then I say you keep it!
Old 02-07-2024 | 10:55 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default I have a 2012.5S

It is everything I need. I may add some headers but other than that I will probabpy keep it until I no longer can afford the repairs. There are very few differences between 2012.5 and 2016. GTS's in my opinion are way overpriced. I would love to own one but at 100K for a 10 year old car the math doesnt work. If you cash out I would decide on the new lotus or a 991.2S and then tune for 500hp. The 991.2 just does not do it for me and the 992's interior is a hot mess.
jfischet (02-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Should I sell or keep? 991.1