help: installing new brake master cylinder reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 05:06 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts
Default help: installing new brake master cylinder reservoir

Hi all,

I just removed my old (rat-gnawed) brake fluid reservoir, and I'm trying to install the new one... and having a hell of a time. I have it lined up with the master cylinder grommets, but I can't quite get it to seat fully (most notably, I can't get the screw hole to line up with where it needs to be screwed into the master cylinder. There's a plastic tab underneath, and it feels like it may need to snap onto a metal bit on the underside of the master cylinder, but so far I can't get it to do that. I'm pushing and pulling it at various angles, to far to no avail.

Any tips/tricks to get this thing to seat properly? I appreciate it!

Thanks so much,
Christina

Last edited by CPL55; 02-02-2024 at 05:28 PM. Reason: word missing
Old 02-02-2024, 05:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by CPL55
Any tips/tricks to get this thing to seat properly? I appreciate it!
I've never had the reservoir off my 991.1 but on my other cars that I have, I just lubed up the spigots on the reservoir and the grommets with brake fluid and pressed it in. Wiggling the reservoir slightly, it helped. The bolt then fit.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Alex—you'd think that would do it, but I've spent a lot of time wiggling and pulling and pushing every which way (and it's definitely lubed up w brake fluid)... that certainly could still work, eventually, but I'm curious about that tab on the underside, and whether there's any nuance (e.g. tilting it down to engage that and then pushing straight on, etc) that I'm missing.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has thoughts or experience with this, I appreciate them all!

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I've never had the reservoir off my 991.1 but on my other cars that I have, I just lubed up the spigots on the reservoir and the grommets with brake fluid and pressed it in. Wiggling the reservoir slightly, it helped. The bolt then fit.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:24 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Still looking for help here, if anyone has done this and can explain the motion to getting this reservoir seated… especially how to het that tab on the underside engaged (that seems to be what’s blocking it.)

thanks so much for any guidance!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:24 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

I have to ask - is the new one OEM? Is this for your 993 or 991? I’ve seen parts list (may have one) to confirm we have the right part here.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:52 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Yes, I was suspicious too.. this is for my 991, and porsche deprecated the old PN and this is a new one (99135501302). It appears identical to the one I took out, and I’ve confirmed numerous places online (including Pelican who updated the PN when I ordered the old one.)

every source I’ve checked confirms this is right, but if it’s not… I’m going to be very, very mad

Last edited by CPL55; 02-03-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:23 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

are you able to re-install the old one without problems?
Old 02-03-2024, 09:42 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Thank you to everyone who offered advice... I did try to re-install the old one (good question, rensoyka!) to see if it would fit, and it wouldn't. Which was good news, because it meant I probably did have the right new part.

As I suspected, it turned out it was my installation technique that was the problem. Instead of just wiggling/pushing the new part on with lateral force (in the direction in which the reservoir nipples fit into the master cylinder grommets), that tab I mentioned on the underside did play a role. It turned out it was necessary to angle the whole reservoir up MUCH more than I had anticipated—almost 45 degrees—and push/seat it at that angle, then lowering it down to line up its hole with the bolt hole in the master cylinder. Simple, but only after you do it/know that's the way.

And now, I have a new stupid dilemma... I managed to drop the little rubber friction fit thing (not the master cylinder grommets, the smaller rubber thing on the upper right in the photo below) into the engine bay, and now I can't find it... but I also can't identify it to order more (not shown on any of the part diagrams I've seen. Anyone know what that's called/what the part number is?

What a saga... and I still have to bleed the brakes once I get this sorted out!

Quick Reply: help: installing new brake master cylinder reservoir