Sponsored by:

Sharing experience: 991.1 7MT - almost perfect

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 02:29 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sharing experience: 991.1 7MT - almost perfect

Wanted to share my modest experience, it may (or may not) help someone somewhere...
I bought a 13 4S about a year ago with the options I mostly cared about (Manual Transmission, SPASM, Sport Chrono, PSE, 18 way seats...) and I made small tweaks, all DIYs. Nothing to the engine, suspensions... I have 0 interest in adding more power or tunes:
- Installed an OEM short shifter. Bought from Suncoast. Can't believe Porsche is selling it for <$300.
- Swapped the steering wheel for the 991.2 GT steering wheel. Wheel and Airbag from Suncoast as well.
- Added wireless Apple Carplay (Mr12Volt). Perfect integration with PCM. No way to tell it's aftermarket (other than seeing the external box under the steering wheel).
- Added a Natika backup camera. I still can't believe a $130k car sold in 2013 didn't come standard with a backup camera. Also seamless integration and from what I saw, the image quality is better than the OEM cameras.
- Bought a 2nd set of wheels (Carrera S III) to swap during the winter. Summer tires are PS4S (Carrera S III wheels) and winter tires Michelin Alpin PA4 (Carrera Classic wheels).
- Swapped the engine cover for the GTS engine cover (the black one)
- Bought a Thinkdiag and coded the GT3 steering setting.
- Previous owner installed a Passport 9500 radar detector and a Blackvue dashcam.
- Changed all interior lights to LEDs. Can't believe a $130k car sold in 2013 had incandescent lamps...

I already have a 997.1 Turbo 6MT for the weekends during summer and my thinking when I bought the 991 was to get a manual, fun car to daily drive (less than 3k miles a year) that doesn't depreciate much compared to regular premium cars (brand new 5 series, E class, M3...).
I chose to look for a 991.1 with really very low expectations: I was wrongly thinking that the 991 is an inferior generation (don't kill me): softer, bigger, inferior steering (this is true especially for .1, but valid for almost any 991 or 992 when compared to the 997 TT), more focused on comfort, full of useless gadgets...

I have to admit that for what I was looking for and after all these small changes I made, this car is the closest thing to perfection! I'm losing interest in the Turbo and thinking about selling it in the spring.
The combination of GT3 steering setting + .2 steering wheel + short shifter + sport exhaust is heaven.
By today's standard it is not a fast car, but I really don't care, don't need more than 400HP and really enjoy the "lesser torque".
Don't want to start a .1 vs .2 debate but these tweaks got it to the best of both worlds between .1 and .2 (at least for me).

I just came back from a 50 miles drive to test the new steering wheel (last and final mod I planned) and it was such a blast.

One last thing: the Michelin Alpin PA4 are insane. The level of grip that these tires have is beyond anything I expected. Maybe because they are brand new, but I feel I have more grip at 30 degrees with the Alpins than at 75 degrees with the PS4S...

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
The following 13 users liked this post by thegenius:
Dark Kauphee (01-14-2024), desmotesta (01-14-2024), duxsi (01-16-2024), jfischet (01-14-2024), maschinetheist (02-11-2024), nsau (01-15-2024), Pavegeno928 (01-16-2024), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-14-2024), sailorlite (01-15-2024), spdracerut (01-14-2024), voightkampff (02-10-2024), WAM (01-25-2024), Watson (02-11-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2024, 05:02 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by thegenius
Wanted to share my modest experience, it may (or may not) help someone somewhere...
I bought a 13 4S about a year ago with the options I mostly cared about (Manual Transmission, SPASM, Sport Chrono, PSE, 18 way seats...) and I made small tweaks, all DIYs. Nothing to the engine, suspensions... I have 0 interest in adding more power or tunes:
- Installed an OEM short shifter. Bought from Suncoast. Can't believe Porsche is selling it for <$300.
- Swapped the steering wheel for the 991.2 GT steering wheel. Wheel and Airbag from Suncoast as well.
- Added wireless Apple Carplay (Mr12Volt). Perfect integration with PCM. No way to tell it's aftermarket (other than seeing the external box under the steering wheel).
- Added a Natika backup camera. I still can't believe a $130k car sold in 2013 didn't come standard with a backup camera. Also seamless integration and from what I saw, the image quality is better than the OEM cameras.
- Bought a 2nd set of wheels (Carrera S III) to swap during the winter. Summer tires are PS4S (Carrera S III wheels) and winter tires Michelin Alpin PA4 (Carrera Classic wheels).
- Previous owner installed a Passport 9500 radar detector and a Blackvue dashcam.
- Changed all interior lights to LEDs. Can't believe a $130k car sold in 2013 had incandescent lamps...

I already have a 997.1 Turbo 6MT for the weekends during summer and my thinking when I bought the 991 was to get a manual, fun car to daily drive (less than 3k miles a year) that doesn't depreciate much compared to regular premium cars (brand new 5 series, E class, M3...).
I chose to look for a 991.1 with really very low expectations: I was wrongly thinking that the 991 is an inferior generation (don't kill me): softer, bigger, inferior steering (this is true especially for .1, but valid for almost any 991 or 992 when compared to the 997 TT), more focused on comfort, full of useless gadgets...

I have to admit that for what I was looking for and after all these small changes I made, this car is the closest thing to perfection! I'm losing interest in the Turbo and thinking about selling it in the spring.
The combination of GT3 steering setting + .2 steering wheel + short shifter + sport exhaust is heaven.
By today's standard it is not a fast car, but I really don't care, don't need more than 400HP and really enjoy the "lesser torque".
Don't want to start a .1 vs .2 debate but these tweaks got it to the best of both worlds between .1 and .2 (at least for me).

I just came back from a 50 miles drive to test the new steering wheel (last and final mod I planned) and it was such a blast.

One last thing: the Michelin Alpin PA4 are insane. The level of grip that these tires have is beyond anything I expected. Maybe because they are brand new, but I feel I have more grip at 30 degrees with the Alpins than at 75 degrees with the PS4S...

Glad you're enjoying the Mr12Volt kit!

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 01-14-2024, 06:15 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

was this an easy swap?
Old 01-14-2024, 06:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

I have put 100k miles on my 991.1 C2S over the last 8 years, it will always be one of my forever cars.

I upgraded the suspension to Tractives and redid all my control arms etc (100k mile chassis gets tired)
I also did the 991.2 steering wheel
The next highly recommended upgrade for you IMO is the numeric Racing Shifter and the cables if you are more bold in that install.

Other than suspension and that shifter, this car is really A++

One last inexpensive mod BUT does increase come NVM is the installing the Function First Transmission mount. Super easy install and relatively low cost, but does improve shifter feel and throttle response. as it removes that slight amount of slack in the drivetrtain, but there is more noise and vibration. I went with the softest orange one and its perfect for me. Def don't go stiffer. Most people hate them.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited by Joec500; 01-14-2024 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thegenius (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:43 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfischet
was this an easy swap?
This thread was helpful: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1171...d-upgrade.html
The short answer: easy DIY.
If you don't want/have multifunction and heating, this is probably the easiest DIY: disconnect the battery (wait 30min), pop the airbag with a screwdriver, unscrew the old steering wheel and do everything in reverse with the new one. Can be done in matter of minutes.
In my case, I had and wanted to keep multifunction and heating so I added a Gpsadapter (gpsadapter.us). Still easy DIY but you have to follow more instructions (swap the heating button, add small wire harness...).
It just can be a bit nerve-racking dealing with an Airbag and all but fairly easy.
jfischet (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:50 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have put 100k miles on my 991.1 C2S over the last 8 years, it will always be one of my forever cars.

I upgraded the suspension to Tractives and redid all my control arms etc (100k mile chassis gets tired)
I also did the 991.2 steering wheel
The next highly recommended upgrade for you IMO is the numeric Racing Shifter and the cables if you are more bold in that install.

Other than suspension and that shifter, this car is really A++

One last inexpensive mod BUT does increase come NVM is the installing the Function First Transmission mount. Super easy install and relatively low cost, but does improve shifter feel and throttle response. as it removes that slight amount of slack in the drivetrtain, but there is more noise and vibration. I went with the softest orange one and its perfect for me. Def don't go stiffer. Most people hate them.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Please don't make me spend more money. I promised myself I was done changing anything in this car
I looked up the Numeric Racing Shifter, and decided to go with the OEM short shifter because OEM, fairly easy to install, improved the feel dramatically, and its price was impossible to beat (Short Shift Kit (991/981/718) : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com))
Never heard of the Function First transmission mount. Will look it up.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2024, 12:55 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Please don't make me spend more money. I promised myself I was done changing anything in this car
Stay away from the "What did you buy your 991 today thread".

It's a bad influence...
The following 2 users liked this post by awittig:
996scott (01-17-2024), thegenius (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 03:52 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 255 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by awittig
Stay away from the "What did you buy your 991 today thread".

It's a bad influence...
LOL
Old 01-15-2024, 05:12 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I looked up the Numeric Racing Shifter, and decided to go with the OEM short shifter because OEM, fairly easy to install, improved the feel dramatically, and its price was impossible to beat (Short Shift Kit (991/981/718) : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com))
Never heard of the Function First transmission mount. Will look it up.
Thanks!
yah the mount is not pricey and install is literally one bolt and a second jack to support the trans as you insert the mount. It literally just fills the gaps around the original trans mount so nothing else comes out.

i also did the same journey as you with the oem short shifter.

numeric racing unit is worthy upgrade when you get replenished budget
Old 01-16-2024, 04:45 AM
boldish
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I am a DSC controller shill

It's probably my favorite thing I've done to my car. But yea, the numeric shifter really does make a huge difference also. I am still pending the cables install (have the cables, haven't installed them myself yet).

I found that while the change in length of the shifter mattered to me, it completely is overshadowed by the change of the feel of the shifter.
Whereas 2->3 or 4->5 on the stock shifter was missing a certain level of precision and was best described as "mushy", with the numeric shifter my shifts are now significantly more precise and satisfying. But I'm a fan of things like mechanical keyboards so I prefer a more tactile feel.

Last edited by boldish; 01-16-2024 at 04:47 AM.
thegenius (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:31 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Couldnt agree more with the sentiments above.

Silly Automotive "journalists" ( shame on me for listening to them) and lack of a 7MT car locally to test drive prevented me from buy a Manual GTS in the first place. Cost me thousands of dollars and wasted year of putting up with a PDK car, not to mention the money I wasted always "modding" the PDK car because the driving experience was always missing something.

Between the Numeric shifter, glorious sound of the N/A motor, wider track Fuchs replicas and steering wheel software I feel exactly the same as you, I have achieved perfection. Any improvement on this set up would require another $125,000 added investment into a GT3 touring which would frankly be a waste for my intended use. ( Although my FIL keeps tempting me with crazy low asking price for his Touring that he no longer drives)
I just hope and wish that I get to keep this N/A Manual perfection for a long time to come, these are the last of their breeds.
The following 4 users liked this post by desmotesta:
Porsche911GTS'16 (01-17-2024), thegenius (01-17-2024), voightkampff (02-10-2024), Watson (02-11-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 01:38 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

7spd M/T FTW.. always enjoyable driving the 991.1S with this transmission no doubt.

I had PDK in my previous Panny4s....
Old 01-17-2024, 08:13 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Couldnt agree more with the sentiments above.

Silly Automotive "journalists" ( shame on me for listening to them) and lack of a 7MT car locally to test drive prevented me from buy a Manual GTS in the first place. Cost me thousands of dollars and wasted year of putting up with a PDK car, not to mention the money I wasted always "modding" the PDK car because the driving experience was always missing something.

Between the Numeric shifter, glorious sound of the N/A motor, wider track Fuchs replicas and steering wheel software I feel exactly the same as you, I have achieved perfection. Any improvement on this set up would require another $125,000 added investment into a GT3 touring which would frankly be a waste for my intended use. ( Although my FIL keeps tempting me with crazy low asking price for his Touring that he no longer drives)
I just hope and wish that I get to keep this N/A Manual perfection for a long time to come, these are the last of their breeds.
Let's not start another PDK vs MT war...

We're thinking the same way. After I wrote the first post I thought about it and realized that I got myself a poor man's 991 Touring or R.
Right now the only car that could get me to replace this car is effectively a GT3 or Touring but given this is my daily driver, it would be silly...

...or we only live once?
The following 3 users liked this post by thegenius:
desmotesta (01-17-2024), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-17-2024), Watson (02-11-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Let's not start another PDK vs MT war...

We're thinking the same way. After I wrote the first post I thought about it and realized that I got myself a poor man's 991 Touring or R.
Right now the only car that could get me to replace this car is effectively a GT3 or Touring but given this is my daily driver, it would be silly...

...or we only live once?
You only live once, you need an ST
Watson (02-11-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 05:05 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

I am weak. After saying I was done changing anything, I just ordered a DSC controller...
Will report back when I receive and install it.
The Function First Transmission mount website is also bookmarked in my browser...
No more recommendations please!

Quick Reply: Sharing experience: 991.1 7MT - almost perfect