Sponsored by:

Sharing experience: 991.1 7MT - almost perfect

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 06:30 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by thegenius
I am weak. After saying I was done changing anything, I just ordered a DSC controller...
Will report back when I receive and install it.
The Function First Transmission mount website is also bookmarked in my browser...
No more recommendations please!
Seek help...
Old 01-23-2024, 10:07 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I am weak. After saying I was done changing anything, I just ordered a DSC controller...
Will report back when I receive and install it.
The Function First Transmission mount website is also bookmarked in my browser...
No more recommendations please!
Very very hot takes on the DSC controller. I installed it minutes ago and went "to buy milk". Very first impressions on my daily commute roads where I know every single bump, pothole...I'm in the Northeast and roads are absolutely terrible here.
  1. This thing is some wizardry. Can't believe unplugging a module and installing a different one without coding anything works and has such a big impact on the way the car feels.
  2. It really really changes the way the car feels in a very very weird way. Unsettling and definitely needs adjusting to it. It is both very subtle and yet very present.
  3. The best way to describe it: the car was on its nerves, every road bump made the suspensions jumpy and struggle to keep up. With the DSC controller, the car is totally relaxed and handles the bumps gently. It didn't make it a Range Rover though, still a 911 that doesn't like bumpy roads. I personally never put the suspensions in sport mode, always thought they were already too stiff in comfort mode, to the point where I was looking for ways to code the Sport and Sport Plus button not to engage sport suspensions. With the DSC controller on, I put suspensions in sport mode for a few minutes and I honestly wasn't bothered by it. Still early impressions that will evolve over time. A bit like the GT3 software setting, I don't really love it but I feel like after a bit of time I won't be able to go back. Need to do some spirited driving to see how the DSC controller changes the car.
  4. What did Porsche really do here? did they deliver great hardware (suspensions + all the sensors) and totally messed up the software? did they do it on purpose to keep Carreras inferior to GT/Turbos? does the 991 Turbo have better suspension management? did the 991.2 and 992 get better at this? or is Porsche just bad at this??? so many questions...
Will need to drive the car more to make up my mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by thegenius:
jfischet (01-23-2024), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 10:45 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

yeah, between the DSC and the GT3 EPS steering setting the car is transformed with nothing but software. it's pretty amazing.
The following users liked this post:
thegenius (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:21 AM
SinkRate
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Installed an OEM short shifter. Bought from Suncoast. Can't believe Porsche is selling it for <$300.
The reason the OEM short shift kit *appears* to be reasonably priced is because it isn't what many would consider a "true" short shifter. It's nothing more than an OEM shift lever with a slightly reduced height. It doesn't actually reduce the length of the throw. When you consider $320 for nothing more than a smaller lever, it really isn't a steal.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:00 AM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SinkRate
The reason the OEM short shift kit *appears* to be reasonably priced is because it isn't what many would consider a "true" short shifter. It's nothing more than an OEM shift lever with a slightly reduced height. It doesn't actually reduce the length of the throw. When you consider $320 for nothing more than a smaller lever, it really isn't a steal.
Porsche sells the GTS engine cover (a piece of black plastic) for about 1700$. Everything they sell is overpriced because we are all suckers and will pay the price. I still think a 300$ for an OEM mechanism is a bargain when compared to other things. The short shifter and the Porsche floor rubber mats ($90) are by far the most fairly priced items I've seen.
maschinetheist (02-11-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 07:19 PM
SinkRate
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Porsche sells the GTS engine cover (a piece of black plastic) for about 1700$. Everything they sell is overpriced because we are all suckers and will pay the price. I still think a 300$ for an OEM mechanism is a bargain when compared to other things. The short shifter and the Porsche floor rubber mats ($90) are by far the most fairly priced items I've seen.
I think at the end of the day, some of the pricing becomes a wash when compared to other cars. I also own a 2014 Audi S4 I bought new, and one of the most surprising things to me after owning my 991 for a while was the number of things that go on the Porsche that are CHEAPER than the Audi. Assuming you buy OEM parts for both, I could make a lengthy list of parts that cost less money to replace on my Porsche than on my Audi. Floor mats, pads, rotors, interior trim pieces, etc. are all cheaper on the 991. Stuff like that softens the blow for me mentally when I go to order something trivial like you described (a $1700 engine cover)
Old 02-10-2024, 01:30 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

So after driving the car long enough on my daily road and on some twisty roads I had enough time to make an opinion on the DSC controller. Long story short: it is a must have, especially when combined with the GT3 software. On twisty roads, the car feels much lighter and engaging.
I'm definitely going to get the Function First Transmission mount at some point. Also got an appointment to get my Carrera S III wheels (summer set) painted in Satin Platinum. Found a place in Connecticut, they work with Porsche dealers and have the exact paint mix to match it.
I may keep this car forever now...

Btw, I realized I never posted any pictures. Below pics from this morning after a thorough undercarriage wash. I try to wash the undercarriage (with a power wash extension) every other week during the winter.

The following 5 users liked this post by thegenius:
Home Run (02-10-2024), jfischet (02-11-2024), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-10-2024), WAM (02-11-2024), Watson (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 05:27 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Great thread and mods! Does the "manettino" on your 991.2 steering wheel work i.e. you can change from normal to Sport to Sport Plus with the rotary dial?
Old 02-11-2024, 06:08 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Watson
Great thread and mods! Does the "manettino" on your 991.2 steering wheel work i.e. you can change from normal to Sport to Sport Plus with the rotary dial?
It works perfectly thanks to the GPS X-Adapter (Adapter-X — GPS Adapter) but I honestly find it completely useless...I still use the buttons in the center console.
Watson (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 06:35 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

You're mostly right, but one thing you left out is that it has spring loaded actuation that gives it a better feel, but you're totally correct it's 90% . Def worth saving up for the numeric unit. Although the GT4/GT3 shifter is a nice upgrade the Numeric is a REAL upgrade and worth the premium.

Quick Reply: Sharing experience: 991.1 7MT - almost perfect