Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any difference in quality/longevity between battery brands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 10:49 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by First991C2
I picked up an Interstate AGM Group H8 from Costco today for my 991.1 (base). That's what their chart recommended. That thing is massive compared to the old Banner, but it appears it will fit in the tray. Is group H8 ok?
The battery tray (and threaded holes in the base) will actually accommodate 3 different sized batteries.
The following users liked this post:
First991C2 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:08 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Oh, I didn't know there is a post limit on a thread.

Anyway, I answered the OP and then Scott at AG tries to limit my free speech. Whatever happened to free speech in the USA?

Did you ever find out why a 40 Ah = an 80 Ah.
You are absolutely insufferable
Old 01-22-2024, 09:15 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
To defend AG, I use LI batteries in my boat. They were $650 each but the weight savings and the ability to monitor them with my phone is worth it to me. Also they discharge at such a low level when not being used.
Yup, when you've got multiple 8D lead-acid batteries, switching to LiFePo4 saves a lot of weight. The switch in my Eastbay 47 shaved off about 600 pounds. Am I'm glad someone else had to hump those 8D bastards out of the engine compartment!
Old 02-02-2024, 10:40 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
... The low weight of a LI battery is pretty cool if you can spare the coin and I do think the ability to jump start a dead battery with the push of a key fob is a pretty ingenious selling point
I've actually used this feature when I forgot to unplug something and it drained the battery. The key fob jump start thing worked perfectly - very slick feature and was yet another value add reason I upgraded to antigravity. I think there is another feature that gets overlooked - consistency/quality in voltage provided. These cars are hyper sensitive to electrical irregularities and I think the improvements in that regard alone are worth the money. For the same reason I don't buy the cheapest mods available for the 911, I don't buy the cheapest batteries for it either - it's my philosophical approach so to each their own.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:34 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

And, the rationalizations continue.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
And, the rationalizations continue.
They sure do!
Old 02-02-2024, 05:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
These cars are hyper sensitive to electrical irregularities.
By the way, where did you read this or dig it up?
Old 02-02-2024, 05:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I've actually used this feature when I forgot to unplug something and it drained the battery.
Strange because when I initially connected my dash cam (before hard wiring it in), the cigarette lighter that it was connected to would power down in exactly 6 minutes (timed it).
Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

By the way, where did you read this or dig it up?
No need to read it or dig it up - I've lived it with my current and other 991s. Seen some weird error codes, weirder dash warnings and other general electrical gremlins that all came down to one thing - the f-ing battery. One time it was on a new battery that I got from the dealer! Never again. I don't think this is limited to 991s either - I hear about this from people with other Pcars too, and its not hard to find it on the forums with a quick search.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 02-02-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:58 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Strange because when I initially connected my dash cam (before hard wiring it in), the cigarette lighter that it was connected to would power down in exactly 6 minutes (timed it).
It was a combination of hardwired Cobb tuner plus wrong sequence of key cycling which left it on after it should have timed out. The key fob jump start thing saved me the hassle - very handy!
Old 02-02-2024, 10:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

No need to read it or dig it up - I've lived it with my current and other 991s. Seen some weird error codes, weirder dash warnings and other general electrical gremlins that all came down to one thing - the f-ing battery. One time it was on a new battery that I got from the dealer! Never again. I don't think this is limited to 991s either - I hear about this from people with other Pcars too, and its not hard to find it on the forums with a quick search.
Strange, because in my nearly 6 years of 991 and 15 years of 993 ownership, I have not had ANY codes come up regarding electrical issues or any issues.

When you get down to it, even a slow start due to a weak battery and/or corrosive connections and/or a faulty starter drawing more current drawing system voltage down, systems like the ECU/Motronic still function because they have a lower voltage requirement. What it is I have no idea but I'd like someone with specs from Siemens or Bosch to show me what the minimum value is.

In many cases that I have seen on vehicles of others, dealers and shops rarely solve the issue of why other systems fail. As I have always said, diagosis is a black art to many and they just throw parts at the issue. I call them "parts replacers" instead of techs. Reminds me of certain posts here about cooling issues and the need to go back to the dealer several times.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:36 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Well, regardless of the battery type you have, Antigravity Batteries is upping the game again with our NEW Charger that will be coming to market.

In about 2 months Antigrvaity Batteries will be releasing our NEW line of chargers to directly compete with other top brands. It will be offered for a lower price than CTEKs yet offer a bit more in terms of the features and functionality of the CTEK or other Brands. So we developed a more functional and useful Charger and we are in the final stages of production.

The new Antigravity Batteries Chargers model line will offer 2-Amp, 4-Amp and 10-Amp Chargers. For Automobiles/Trucks it will be mainly the 4-Amp and 10Amp Models of Chargers that are best for that application.

So heres the features of our chargers.

-We didn't like the colored LED "lights" on Chargers like the CTEK and Optimate that tell where you are in the Charge Cycle. We actually manufacture Lithium Batteries so we wanted to see the actual Voltage and Current going into the Battery during the Charge Cycle. So, we made a Digital Display that shows the actual Voltage and Current that the Charger is Charging the Battery at. That Digital Display also will have a easy to read Battery Icon Showing the level of Charge on the Battery and also display other information when used in other modes which I will describe below.

- We wanted the Charger to do MORE than just Charge a Lithium Battery or Lead/Acid/AGM Battery so we put in other stuff. So we built in the ability of our Chargers to Charge (at the correct profiles for each type of battery) 6v and 12v Lithium (Lifepo4) Batteries, 12v Lead/Acid batteries such as AGMs, Gel, or Flooded forms of Lead/Acid, and our 10-Amp Version will do 12v and 24v Charging. So our charger does them all. You can charge your Trucks Lead/Acid Battery, and then charge a Lithium Battery in your Motorcycle, Porsche or any other 6v or 12v Lifepo4 Lithium Battery with our Charger.

- We wanted the customer to be able to Change out a Battery or have a 12v source of power to power other things, so we put in a Power Supply Mode into these Chargers. Our 4 Amp Charger will have a 3-Amp Power supply, and the 10A will have and 8 amp Power supply. This will enable you to switch out a battery and not lose any settings if you connect our Charger to your battery clamps during a Battery change, or you can power DC things like Air Pumps and other stuff wth it.

- We wanted to have a Voltage Meter on a Charger because sometimes you want to know what the Battery Voltage is at without having to pull out a Multimeter. So we incorporated a Voltage Meter into our Battery Charger. Its a great useful feature we did not see on other chargers.

- Since we are Lithium Battery Manufacturers specifically, we wanted out Charger to be able to WAKE UP a Lithium Battery's BMS (Battery Management System). Something that the CTEK cannot do even though they say their does it. The issue is the if a Lithium Battery over-discharges its BMS protection will put it into a Sleep Mode, but a regular Charger cannot wake up a Lithium Battery because it will see no Voltage at the terminals due to the battery being asleep, nor put out sufficient current or voltage to wake a BMS up. But our Charger when set to Charge a 12v Lithium Battery will automatically re-awaken the BMS so the Lithium Battery will accept a charge, and then start charging it. This has been a problem for people with other Brands of Lithium Batteries. Actually with the Antigraity Battery our batteries can wake up with our wireless keyfob so this is not an issue for our battery. But its a big benefit to others running any other brands of Lithium Batteries.

-We stayed with the Typical SAE Battery pigtail type of Connection for our Clamps, Charger and Pigtail. We DO NOT like the brands with proprietary connections for thier brand of Battery Charger. For example CTEK and NOCO...We deal with alot of Adeventure Motorcyclists and Overlanders who travel to other countries, if you need a charge in another country you cannot easily find these proprietary plugs just to charge or plug into your pigtail when on the road. So we have they typical charger input of SAE for the pigtail, and Charger and clamps. Not a big deal for some, but very big for others who on the road alot and a big deal in our garage for simplicity since we have several different types of chargers.

- I does have the recondition mode for Lead/Acid Batteries as well as and Automatic Winter mode for all battery types, no need to select Winter mode it does it automatically with it built in temperature sensor.

So anyway it will be a definate step up in Chargers and good for those wanting something like this.

Quick Reply: Any difference in quality/longevity between battery brands?