Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level after HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 10:51 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

I have a 991.2 with roughly 20k miles. I have done a Blackstone UOA after each oil change and everything appears to be quite healthy. I just did my first HPDE. I checked the display before and after the HPDE event. I drove and pushed the engine pretty dang hard for all 4 sessions. Since mine is a 991.2, it doesn't have the 'lines' on the display but I'm estimating a loss of approximately 1/8-th from max to min. I'm guessing this is completely normal but look forward to seeing what the next Blackstone report tells me. I will probably have one more HPDE done before the next oil change.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:43 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't track my car and generally drive pretty conservatively. I have put 20,000 miles on it since purchase. I generally keep add oil with the level gauge drops about 1/4 quart to bring it up to the full mark. Never overfill. I generally get a little smoke on cold start up for about 30 seconds. In the first 10K mile I wound up adding a about 1 quart over the course of the mileage between oil changes. After the first oil change I noticed that the level gauge remained at the full mark for the entire next 9500 miles. The owners manual states up to 1 liter of oil every 1000 km is totally normal. I became concerned as a little burn off at start up and 9500 miles of driving later I hadn't used enough oil to affect the gauge even a small amount. Just had the second oil change at the dealer and they replaced the oil level sensor as it just seemed like a good precautionary measure as it didn't make any sense not to burn even a drop of oil in that many miles. They purposely left the oil level in the middle of the range. I drove the car for a week and then added about a third of a quart to see if the new sensor was registering the added oil, which it did. Still on full now after about 500 miles and monitoring. Either I have a car that doesn't use oil (a good thing I think) or I the oil level gauge is not very reliable. FWIW I do check the oil level regularly at start up and after running when the oil temp reaches normal I will shut off on level ground, let it sit for a couple minutes and then check. It does seem odd that Porsche claims a quart per 1000 miles is completely normal as I have never had to add that much between changes 10K miles apart.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:43 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I have a 991.2 with roughly 20k miles. I have done a Blackstone UOA after each oil change and everything appears to be quite healthy. I just did my first HPDE. I checked the display before and after the HPDE event. I drove and pushed the engine pretty dang hard for all 4 sessions. Since mine is a 991.2, it doesn't have the 'lines' on the display but I'm estimating a loss of approximately 1/8-th from max to min. I'm guessing this is completely normal but look forward to seeing what the next Blackstone report tells me. I will probably have one more HPDE done before the next oil change.
You have the Thinkdiag OBD unit, you can add segments to the oil meter with it.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 04:06 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
You have the Thinkdiag OBD unit, you can add segments to the oil meter with it.
That's good to know. I actually have never taken my Thinkdiag out of the box because I never picked up an appropriate android device to use it with.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:36 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Ark20
Ugh. If that’s the case I’m seeing a loss of 2 lines/3.6 quarts between the period I mentioned earlier. Strange.
1 qt = 32 oz. One line is close to 1/3 qt, so 1/2 qt will top it off.
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:13 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ark20
Ugh. If that’s the case I’m seeing a loss of 2 lines/3.6 quarts between the period I mentioned earlier. Strange.
I know this is an older post by the original/string creator but it’s NOT 1.8 quarts PER SEGMENT … it’s 1.8 quarts between minimum and maximum. The amount between each segment is about 300 milliliters, or just over 10 ounces … that’s less than a 12 ounce can of beer (remember, a quart is 32 fluid ounces … 1 quart is also 946.353 milliliters)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:51 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
After an oil change my oil level will read let’s say mid bar level. And I see the reading so I think perfect and done with my oil change. Then after driving another 30 miles or so my oil level drops again a bar or two. Your experience as described sounds like this. And is normal.

I have the same thing. I would just measure it after each time out on the track and see if it's the same or dropping but I would say it's "normal"

Quick Reply: Oil level after HPDE