Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Back Up Camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023 | 12:44 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Default After Market Back Up Camera ?

My 2014 Carrera 4s came without a backup camera. Can a aftermarket one be installed and if so any brand recommended?
Old 12-11-2023 | 11:23 AM
GNB
Advanced

Originally Posted by MPawelek
My 2014 Carrera 4s came without a backup camera. Can a aftermarket one be installed and if so any brand recommended?

I have the same issue, and would love having a back up camera in my 2012 Carrera.

Seems the oem PCM radio unit is integrated with dash functions. So my original thought of replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit capable of supporting a back up camera went out the window ( as I do not want to lose the integration aspects). Seems other people have successfully installed "Apple Play" devices tied into the orginal factory PCM unit to get back up camera capability ( check out the posts on this in this forum). This seems like a good option.
Old 12-11-2023 | 12:58 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MPawelek

Here are several options: There is the central mount camera where drilling into the rear bumper is required. If you are planning to use this style, more than likely will be required to remove the rear bumper. Composite wire must be fished from (PCM) to rear bumper.

The other choice is the license plate light insert. This requires you remove the (left) or driver side rear license plate light which is a plug in functioning light and power supply for the rear camera has a positive + red wire, yellow is the video trigger wire and black for ground. You are still required to fish the composite wire from the (PCM) to the rear and connect a trigger wire.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/cameras

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 12-11-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2023 | 01:22 PM
GNB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Here are several options: There is the central mount camera where drilling into the rear bumper is required. If you are planning to use this style, more than likely will be required to remove the rear bumper. Composite wire must be fished from (PCM) to rear bumper.

The other choice is the license plate light insert. This requires you remove the (left) or driver side rear license plate light which is a plug in functioning light and power supply for the rear camera. You are still required to fish the composite wire from the (PCM) to the rear and connect a trigger wire.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/cameras

Will this also work on a 2012 911 ( 991.) Carrera? Will that model PCM support a rear camera for display?

Old 12-11-2023 | 02:40 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GNB
Will this also work on a 2012 911 ( 991.) Carrera? Will that model PCM support a rear camera for display?
The NMautomotive camera for the license plate light will only work on the PCM 3.1 AND it requires a kit or interface to adapt the BU camera which I failed to mention previously.
The pyramid type camera will work on PCM 3.0 & 3.1 as stated in the link with their CarPlay Kit.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 12-11-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: After Market Back Up Camera ?