Sponsored by:

991.1 OEM Back Up Camera Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 05:44 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts
Default 991.1 OEM Back Up Camera Wiring

I recently installed a Chinese made head unit with Android Auto and CarPlay. The unit looks and functions great. The screen response and appearance are miles above the original 3.1 PCM. However I have one issue that I can't resolve - the OEM back up camera no longer functions. The build sheet for my 2016 GTS lists this -

Given that, I assume the wiring for the reverse/back up camera is in the dash and part of the wire loom that connected to the PCM. The new head unit has a pigtail with wires labeled for the camera, but I need to know which wires I will need to move to that pigtail to regain functionality of the camera. It seems that color coding its not universal or at least it doesn't appear to be so. As a second question, is the module that the reverse camera is connected to located under the drivers seat? Is that the TV module?

Any help is appreciated.

Oh here are pics of the new HU installed. Very clean and the bezel matches the OEM finish.

Last edited by Live Steam; 11-27-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:12 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve got a mr12volt unit which uses the oem head unit and an aftermarket cam.

Somewhere in the settings is an option to select oem or aftermarket cam

you may want to check throughly to make sure you don’t have that setting?

Is your car definitely a 991.1? I enquired about the oem cam before doing my aftermarket but was told it wasn’t an option on the 991.1 model.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:09 AM
cycw08
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonny9999991

Is your car definitely a 991.1? I enquired about the oem cam before doing my aftermarket but was told it wasn’t an option on the 991.1 model.

IIRC OEM cam was available since model year 2015 so still a chance on 991.1

Plus one on OEM/Aftermarket cam option on HU, saw the same on my Joyeauto box
Old 11-28-2023, 01:10 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Not sure why you would ask that question, especially since I posted the build code above that states - ParkAssist and Reversing Camera. Why would I not know what year/model my car is? It's a 2016 GTS. The reversing camera is factory installed and not aftermarket. It works with the original 3.1PCM and also with the Isudar board for CarPlay I installed. It does not work as of now, with this new head unit. I have to believe it can be made to work. I just don't have the technical skills in this area to get there on my own. I can however, follow directions and sometimes even troubleshoot issues where I don't necessarily have extensive expertise. My thoughts are it's a combination of things - finding the associated wires for the camera, the trigger to turn it on and connect them to the supplied pigtail and toggling the proper canbus settings within the operating system of the new unit.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:41 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Amazing. Can you post the link where you bought this head unit? I was thinking of getting an Alpine, but maybe this matches the interior better.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:04 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Perhaps @ZedZed can help as he has experience with this unit and I think his bu cam works.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:25 AM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Not sure why you would ask that question, especially since I posted the build code above that states - ParkAssist and Reversing Camera. Why would I not know what year/model my car is? It's a 2016 GTS. The reversing camera is factory installed and not aftermarket. It works with the original 3.1PCM and also with the Isudar board for CarPlay I installed. It does not work as of now, with this new head unit. I have to believe it can be made to work. I just don't have the technical skills in this area to get there on my own. I can however, follow directions and sometimes even troubleshoot issues where I don't necessarily have extensive expertise. My thoughts are it's a combination of things - finding the associated wires for the camera, the trigger to turn it on and connect them to the supplied pigtail and toggling the proper canbus settings within the operating system of the new unit.
I’ve not seen an oem reverse camera on a 991.1 and I’ve seen about 30 in the last year and I don’t know your -EDIT- what you drive.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-28-2023 at 09:48 AM. Reason: No personal attacks
Old 11-28-2023, 09:35 AM
Live Steam
Racer

I’ve not seen an oem reverse camera on a 991.1 and I’ve seen about 30 in the last year and I don’t know your -EDIT- what you drive.
-EDIT- Thanks for your useless input.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-28-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: No personal attacks
Old 11-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Good grief, will everyone please stop with the personal attacks.
The following users liked this post:
Z00mie (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:14 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Perhaps @ZedZed can help as he has experience with this unit and I think his bu cam works.
Hey Porsche_nuts. I've been going back and forth with him. We're still troubleshooting. He believes this has something to do with manual vs pdk. Seems those that already installed this unit have PDK transmissions vs manual. There may be an issue in how the reverse camera is triggered in one vs the other.

By the way, nice looking wheels

Last edited by Live Steam; 11-28-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Porsche_nuts (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:22 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Hey Porsche_nuts. I've been going back and forth with him. We're still troubleshooting. He believes this has something to do with manual vs pdk. Seems those that already installed this unit have PDK transmissions vs manual. There may be an issue in how the reverse camera is triggered in one vs the other.

By the way, nice looking wheels
Good to hear you both are troubleshooting it. Interesting about manual vs pdk.

Thanks regarding the wheels. A really good guy helped me with them!
Live Steam (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 08:00 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Here is a link to pcm 3.1 pinouts in a pcm4 retrofit thread. I think the rear camera is labeled CBVS+ CBVS- Hope this helps.
Pcm4 retrofit

I've got a 2015 C2s 7sp manual with factory backup camera and proximity sensors, and hope you guys get this figured out. I've got an Isudar board, but may just replace the head unit and put the oem unit on the shelf. I just spent $4k getting it repaired by dealer. Luckily the PCM settlement reimbursement came thru!

Last edited by DanQ; 11-28-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:27 PM
DanQ
Pro

When you get it working, it would be good to know if the resolution of the factory cam looks better on the new display than it did on the old. I'm not impressed with the clarity of the factory cam compared to the camera on my wife's 2018 GTI and I was thinking of replacing the porsche cam with a newer model, but I think the "real" issue is the resolution of the 3.1 PCM screen.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:20 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by DanQ
Here is a link to pcm 3.1 pinouts in a pcm4 retrofit thread. I think the rear camera is labeled CBVS+ CBVS- Hope this helps.
Pcm4 retrofit

I've got a 2015 C2s 7sp manual with factory backup camera and proximity sensors, and hope you guys get this figured out. I've got an Isudar board, but may just replace the head unit and put the oem unit on the shelf. I just spent $4k getting it repaired by dealer. Luckily the PCM settlement reimbursement came thru!
Dan thanks for that. I'm going to forward it to the techs in China. This may only require a Canbus switch - there are numerous Canbus protocols already loaded onboard in the HU. I'll certainly post my impressions of the video quality. But I have to be honest, I never took interest in the rear view picture quality. I just need the rear view to keep me from backing into the garbage cans in the driveway lol

Wow $4k for a repair? :O Not something I ever would have considered if I knew I'd be on the hook for it. That's a crazy Porsche tax if there ever was one. I feel this new HU is a much better option than the Isudar board which I also tried. Too many annoyances with it for my liking.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:51 PM
DanQ
Pro

Long story on the $4k repair. I bought the Isudar board last winter while the car was in storage. The PCM hard drive failed on the way back from storage so I never even got to install it. I was frustrated to even drive the car since it was rebooting constantly. Then I got an email from Porsche about the settlement. It seemed like the repair would be covered if the work was done by the dealer. I took it to the dealer, but had to wait all summer for a new PCM. During that time I learned about the China PCM replacement. I was about a day from canceling the german PCM, when it came in. The dealer did the repair for a total of $4k, but it was working again so I could enjoy the car. Now I had to SWEAT it out for a couple of months until the reimbursement check came. What a relief when it arrived!

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just spent $350 on the China PCM and not risk $4k.. In fact, anyone with a failed PCM should just replace it. If that option wasn't available, you can try and replace the bad hard drive ($100) assuming you can copy a good drive from someone and have it coded to the car ($250?). Better yet, backup/replace the hard drive with a solid state HD drive BEFORE it fails.

Quick Reply: 991.1 OEM Back Up Camera Wiring