Sponsored by:

2019 991.2 Valve Stem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 04:42 PM
cbcznc
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2019 991.2 Valve Stem

My car is a 2019 991.2 with 20" Carrera S wheels. I removed the wheels from the car, removed the tires from the wheels, removed the Schrader valves from the valve stem and removed the TPMS sensor from the backside of the valve stem. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the valve stem from the wheel because the whole stem assembly just spins. Performing the vise grip garage method results in the stem assembly spinning continuously inside of the vise grip, chewing into the aluminum. This is a low mileage, (12k miles) 2019 991.2 and I can find no information on removing the valve stem nor any information on a specialty tool for gripping the rounded "button" shaped portion of the stem assembly that is on the "inside" of the wheel.

I called my local tire expert, who is a friend, and he said that almost all of theses stem types that he gets into his shop don't come off and said that they just cut these aluminum stems off with a cutting wheel by cutting about halfway through and then bending/breaking the remainder off with pliers.

Surely, I am missing something, There has to be a better way or a tool that I am missing. Please Help! Thanks.

Last edited by cbcznc; 11-21-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:00 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

cut them off and start over is my bet.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:36 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is this helpful?

Old 11-21-2023, 08:48 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

nice post.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:39 PM
cbcznc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matrog
The video says "and you're good to go". The problem is that I'm not good to go. The stem assembly just spins and loosens the TPMS. Since there is no good way to hold the "button" shape rounded portion of the stem assembly my only option is to get out a cutting wheel and cut it off which is what I am trying to avoid.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:57 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 104 Posts

Tire shop owner here. 3" cut off wheel, or even smaller dremel cut off whatever you got. Just cut the bottom off. We do this daily.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:13 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

dremel would be ideal.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:19 PM
cbcznc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pappagray
Tire shop owner here. 3" cut off wheel, or even smaller dremel cut off whatever you got. Just cut the bottom off. We do this daily.
I'm the original poster. Here are the lessons learned after more than a week of research, talking to tire shop managers and performing my own myopic analysis on my 20" 2019 991.2 Carrera S wheels:

Porsche used a white thread lock paste on my 2019 Carrera S valve stem nuts and that is the reason the stem assembly was difficult to remove and was spinning when I tried loosening the 11mm nut. The best way to remove the stem assembly is to first remove the TPMS (torx bolt). Second, insert hardened round stock, or an allen wrench into the tiny hole that is drilled into the side of the rounded "button" portion of the assembly (inside of wheel). Inserting roundstock or the right size allen wrench into this hole will keep the assembly from spinning while loosening the 11mm nut. The risk is bending the roundstock / allen wrench. Mine bent significantly until the OEM thread locking paste finally gave way. Expect to bend or ruin whatever you are inserting into this tiny hole.

Once removed, I replaced mine with O'Rielly / HUF part # RDV026 (black stem assy) or #RDV027 (silver stem assy). These are less than $5 each at O'Rielly's. *Do not use the HUF TPMS bolt because it WILL chew into the TPMS. Re-use the OEM TPMS bolts/screws and apply a spec of blue loctite.

Cutting the stem assembly off is far less desirable because chances are that the cutting wheel will contact the rim, and these OEM Porsche rims/wheels are paper thin. My car is 3165 lbs, 585HP with a top speed that exceeds 200MPH. Assuming the risk of nicking the paper thin rim with a cutting wheel is NOT a good idea! Especially on a car that exceeds 200mph top speed.

The O'Reilly part is aftermarket (HUF) and is not a Porsche OEM part. The quality of the O'Reilly part was good/fair.

I strongly recommend applying a minute amount of blue loctite to the valve stem nut, and the TPMS bolt and slightly over-torqueing the 11mm nut because the new rubber grommet will compress significantly during the 1st 24 hours.

Also worth note: On one of the valve stem assemblies I was able to use a good quality (old craftsman) vise grip and successfully loosened the nut this way as well. With the remaining 3 I inserted round stock into the tiny hole.

To all of the tire shop guys cutting them off with cutting wheels: Shame. Shame on you for increasing the risk of a catastrophic wheel failure on cars where even the base Carrera exceeds 182mph, and my Stage 3 base Carrera exceeds 200mph.

Last edited by cbcznc; 11-29-2023 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 991.2 Valve Stem