Sponsored by:

991.2 4 GTS Tune: Cobb vs FVD choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 02:38 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
The tune files generate a checksum so they can deny the old files checksum value or only allow certain checksum values.
Curious how 3rd party gets around this.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:06 PM
CarGuy888
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grabbed an APR tune and it definately increased HP and torque. I subsequently installed BMC filters and also Soul HFC's and will get my car re-tuned by a custom tuner. The off the shelf tunes only do so much but I can say that my car is so much fun to drive. Good luck
Old 11-27-2023, 05:38 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I went with FVD on my Turbo (non-S) which apparently takes it from 540 - 650hp along with an equivalent improvement in torque. I chose them because I liked dealing with their team directly, because they were willing to tweak the software a bit to reduce the fake snap-crackle-pop in Sport mode by about 50%, and because the gains were quite material (and very noticeable without any decline in drivability). On the downside, working with the My Genius programming tool is not as slick as the Accesport.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:45 AM
mrneef
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Cobb that was protuned. FBO with pretty much we everything but new turbos on e85. Love the car. Pushing 618whp on a wind tunnel dyno.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:44 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS99ONE
Okay this makes sense. The Accessport this person has is before the “Green Speed” adjustment by Cobb but I just read their website and it explicitly states they will not support/offer technical assistance to anyone with the original ECU tune. I also understand that if the Accessport is connected back to a computer it will update to the latest ECU tune and disable the ability to put the original tune on the car. For this reason, I think I am going to go for the FVD route.
Originally Posted by IRunalot
You can still install the original tune back, that was done during the dyno run. I did read somewhere that Cobb updated the firmware and does not allow the earlier tunes to be installed on the car. Take that with a grain n of salt as I read it on the internet, but I have v1.02 and does not allow the install as its greyed out.
Originally Posted by GTS99ONE
no grain of salt required—COBB lays out that they will no longer support the earlier ECU tune here: https://www.cobbtuning.com/green-spe...te-april-2022/
Sigh...looks like I need to go through this all again.

You can, and always have been able to, transfer any previous version OTS or Protuned maps to an Accessport and in turn flash your ECU with said map, assuming that map is actually for your specific vehicle ID (WHICH INCLUDES THE ROM VERSION).

The linked blog post discussing our updates does not address, apply, reference, OTS map functionality in ANY WAY unless said map is loaded into our ACCESSTUNER SOFTWARE. Since the only Accesstuner software that's ever been available for our 991.2 application (and almost every other COBB supported Porsche application) is our AccessTuner Pro...which is only available to authorized business with calibration capabilities...the required software changes affect exactly zero end users directly. The indirect affect to end users is if you have modifications to your vehicle, for example: catless downpipes, that previous software versions supported the ability to disable certain related DTCs (IYKYK things here) then newly created Protuned maps will no longer be able to disable said DTCs AND OLD PROTUNED MAPS WITH THOSE FEATURES/CAPABILITIES ENABLED WILL NOT BE EDITABLE IN NEW ACCESSTUNER SOFTWARE. That's it...in full...hard stop.

Notice neither the blog post nor I have said exactly zero about maps being removed from APs, unable to be loaded on APs, unable to be flashed to ECUs, etc etc etc as part of this update to our business model. The only circumstance in which older version OTS maps are automatically removed from an AP is when a new version of maps are included as part of a firmware update and during the firmware update, the old version maps are removed from the AP and then replaced with the new version maps. This is 100% the same exact firmware update to new version maps we have done as normal business for over 20 years. Now read that previous sentence again, nothing new or nefarious is going on, nor has there ever been.

As long as we're talking V3 AP maps here (which for Porsche is 100% of them) all anyone has ever had to do to keep the old versions of the OTS maps is...save a copy of them. That's it. Nothing special. Drag and drop them off the Accessport once it's installed on your car, rename the map(s) something so you know it's your golden copy, and then put it in a folder, and then most importantly never touch it again. Next, make ANOTHER copy of the map, save it with a different name, again, DON'T LEAVE IT THE DEFAULT OTS NAME, and then move it back on the AP. Next firmware update guess what? It's gonna stay on your AP during the FW update. Got any Protuned maps? Guess what...they stay there during every firmware update as well. However, I strongly and ALWAYS recommend saving backup copies of any Protuned map or OTS version map you like because at any point you may have an AP stolen, damaged, die, need a relicense cause you took your car to the Porsche dealer, you didn't uninstall the AP before you went in like ya shoulda, the dealer reflashes your ECU because the Porsche mothership told them to, and now your AP will say "This AP is not installed on this vehicle. Then you email us, we set you up with a relicense key for your AP so you can reinstall it on your car...and guess what relicensing does...it wipes the entire AP back to like it was brand new and you lose all of those previous version OTS maps and Protuned maps. Again...nothing nefarious.

I'll say it again, you can flash ANY previous version OTS map you want to your ECU as long as its the actual correct vehicle and ROM id for your vehicle. It CANNOT just be for you model year and trim of vehicle, each ROM id has it's own specific maps and if it's not correct...it's gonna be grayed out. That's my guess as to the issue you're specifically having IRunalot with your v102 map- aka the ROM id on your ECU does not match the ROM id of the map. That's easily confirmed by sending me a diagnostic file from your AP along with a copy of that map and I'll let ya know if its the correct map for your car. Otherwise...there is one other slim but potential reason the map is grayed out and that's if your ECU is currently flashed with a newer version map that was built with a newer version of ATP that has enough table differences that an older version map cannot be flashed to the ECU directly. However, this situation is also easily remedied via a simple work around. Uninstall the AP completely from the vehicle (rather than trying a change map) and this will reflash the ECU back to your fully stock ROM. Then, go ahead and install DIRECTLY using that older version map as it should no longer be greyed out (assuming again the ROM IDs match). You CANNOT install to any newer version map, be it even a stage 0 OTS map or a Protuned map, you MUST install directly to that older version map.

So there it is, outlined once again, no grains of salt needed. No, we do not have access to any of the older version maps for legal reasons. Yes, you're welcome to use those older version maps for as long as you want and you'll never have them disabled, removed, deleted, whatever, as long as you follow the steps outlined above. Here are those steps again real simple:

Make copies
Rename copies
Keep golden copy safe
Transfer renamed copy to AP as needed

As for support of those older version maps...I'm not sure what support you're looking for? At most we may be able to find some older dyno plots of them but just like every other technology, if you call or email in with some kind of driveability or functionality issue, the first thing they're gonna ask is "are you on the latest firmware and are you on the latest maps". The map updates aren't always about power improvements/changes, sometimes they need to happen to resolve bugs so if you're adamant about running older version maps because you think you need them for more power...be ready to accept some bugs we've probably fixed with later versions.

PS- the change in power gains from early version OTS maps wasn't emissions related. The early version maps were very aggressive on some vehicles and after review it was decided we needed to pull some of those calibration adjustments out and update the maps. However, our next map versions were probably an over-reaction too far to the conservative side which is where a lot of complaints about "power loss" have come from. The latest version 991.2 3.0l maps that are entirely CARB approved for sale in all 50 states and in most circumstances make within spitting distance of our earlier version maps via a revised/less aggressive tuning strategy while still retaining our preferred level of conservatism.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 11-28-2023, 06:47 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

I didn’t think it made sense you couldn’t use older files.

Quick Reply: 991.2 4 GTS Tune: Cobb vs FVD choice