Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to change starter battery by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 03:43 PM
cooky01
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Best way to change starter battery by yourself?

Hello all,
I've changed battery on all of my previous cars, and this 991.2 is the only one w/ battery in the center, instead of towards left/right side of car.
Since the battery is heavy, what's the best way to replace it w/o hurting my back?

Is it safe to step into the frunk, to get closer to the battery? (how heavy can you put stuff in there BTW?)
Or is this really a two-person job (each person grabbing one handle, to pull out old battery & put in new together)?

Lastly, would I be able to replace battery w/o losing the radio or other electronic settings? (does this car have a smaller auxiliary battery?)
If so, within how much time do I need to complete the replacement?
When I replaced battery on a MB W212 E-class within 15 minutes, I didn't lose any settings.

TIA

Last edited by cooky01; 11-24-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:19 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Standing in the frunk seems to be the common practice.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:23 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Use a bar stool

I stand inside the frunk, and place an old bar stool right on the front of the bumper. Lift the battery, place it on the stool, climb out and lower it to the ground. Reverse the steps for installation.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoTexas:
sailorlite (11-30-2023), shyamvenky (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 05:43 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

+1 for standing in the frunk. It's fine.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:06 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

I use a towel between the battery handles to lift the battery into the frunk (easier on the hands and makes lifting a little easier). I then put one foot in the frunk, the other outside on the floor. Lift the battery with the towel.

No memory loss to your presets. The only thing you may have to do is reset your windows. Some people have to, others do not, for whatever reason.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:55 PM
cooky01
Intermediate

Thank you all for your replies.

I noticed there are two really small cables connected to the positive & negative ends (see photo).
They're coiled up in a spool next to the battery.
Anyone know what they are, and their purpose?

Old 11-24-2023, 07:09 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cooky01
Thank you all for your replies.

I noticed there are two really small cables connected to the positive & negative ends (see photo).
They're coiled up in a spool next to the battery.
Anyone know what they are, and their purpose?

Looks as if a previous owner is powering something not original to the car.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:22 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Those could have been to a Battery Tender also.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:02 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

To add...I just did this. I noticed even after a drive my 5+ year old battery was not showing good voltage. Some tips when doing yourself. I basically went to a Car Quest and swapped in the new battery in the parking lot. It's super easy if you prep.

At home:
1. Remove the thin black metal retaining bar that goes across the top of the battery. When doing this place a rag under the bolt to the firewall in between the battery and firewall. This will help you not lose the bolt into no-mans-land if you drop it during removal.
2. To remove the retaining bar lower bolt you have to remove the torx (15) screws holding the horn and Air Pump Box. I removed the box, re-attached the air horn for driving to Car Quest.
3. Pack your tools to be able to remove the terminals and remove/reinstall the battery. The battery is held in place by one bolt at the bottom which secures a metal clamp.

At the Shop (Car Quest or other):
1. Remove the bolt and clamp securing the battery.
2. Remove the Positive Terminal first. Then remove the negative terminal. Be care ful to avoid the terminals touching metal of the body regardless.
3. Lift out by standing in the Frunk as others have stated.
4. Exchange the core for the new battery and reinstall the bolt and clamp.
5. Reinstall the Negative Terminal First and then the Positive Terminal.

At Home:
1. Reinstall the retaining bar and air compressor box.

I had zero issues with loss of power during the swap. Everything works as before.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:48 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
To add...I just did this. I noticed even after a drive my 5+ year old battery was not showing good voltage. Some tips when doing yourself. I basically went to a Car Quest and swapped in the new battery in the parking lot. It's super easy if you prep.

At home:
1. Remove the thin black metal retaining bar that goes across the top of the battery. When doing this place a rag under the bolt to the firewall in between the battery and firewall. This will help you not lose the bolt into no-mans-land if you drop it during removal.
2. To remove the retaining bar lower bolt you have to remove the torx (15) screws holding the horn and Air Pump Box. I removed the box, re-attached the air horn for driving to Car Quest.
3. Pack your tools to be able to remove the terminals and remove/reinstall the battery. The battery is held in place by one bolt at the bottom which secures a metal clamp.

At the Shop (Car Quest or other):
1. Remove the bolt and clamp securing the battery.
2. Remove the Positive Terminal first. Then remove the negative terminal. Be care ful to avoid the terminals touching metal of the body regardless.
3. Lift out by standing in the Frunk as others have stated.
4. Exchange the core for the new battery and reinstall the bolt and clamp.
5. Reinstall the Negative Terminal First and then the Positive Terminal.

At Home:
1. Reinstall the retaining bar and air compressor box.

I had zero issues with loss of power during the swap. Everything works as before.
Actually, battery removal is the opposite of what you said. When removing, remove negative terminal first, then the positive. When re-attaching, do the opposite. Positive first and then negative. Removing negative first takes away the possibility of sparking.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 07:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Actually, battery removal is the opposite of what you said. When removing, remove negative terminal first, then the positive. When re-attaching, do the opposite. Positive first and then negative. Removing negative first takes away the possibility of sparking.
Exactly...this way you do not end up being a welder.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:43 AM
cooky01
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by GoTexas
I stand inside the frunk, and place an old bar stool right on the front of the bumper. Lift the battery, place it on the stool, climb out and lower it to the ground. Reverse the steps for installation.
Thank you everyone for your responses.
I was able to replace the battery within about 20 minutes, and didn't need to reset any electronics.

My initial concern was hurting my back while lifting the old & new batteries in & out of the bay, due to its location.
GoTexas' tip above was a great help - his method worked wonderfully for me, and I highly recommend it, especially if you're doing this alone.

This video also helped (but ignore the part where they removed the positive terminal first; see comments above for reason):

Quick Reply: Best way to change starter battery by yourself?