Sponsored by:

PDK service advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 12:00 PM
myturbo2
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK service advise

I have a ‘12 991.1s and my understanding you should service the PDK every 12 years or 120k miles which includes a clutch and tranny oil service ($$$$). I’ve read here on RL to make sure your local Indy/dealership should be checked out that they’ve actually performed this service before. My question is, does anyone have any experience or recommendations with a local shop/dealership here in South Carolina, specifically Savannah or Charleston area?

Thank in advance

The following users liked this post:
olegd (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 01:19 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

Following.......How many miles are on the car? I have a 2012.5 as well C2S with only 18xxx miles on it and wondering if it's really necessary with such low miles?
Old 11-20-2023, 04:17 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by myturbo2
I have a ‘12 991.1s and my understanding you should service the PDK every 12 years or 120k miles which includes a clutch and tranny oil service ($$$$). I’ve read here on RL to make sure your local Indy/dealership should be checked out that they’ve actually performed this service before. My question is, does anyone have any experience or recommendations with a local shop/dealership here in South Carolina, specifically Savannah or Charleston area?

Thank in advance
I did this service on my own and did a lot of research on this prior. I have a 2016 but hit 100k miles and I just wanted to do it. That said, I first thought it not possible/viable to do on my own and looked into this with the dealer and came away concerned they also don't know too much, and have little experience (which is understandable because for the 991.1 it is indeed 120k miles and 12 years as opposed to the 997.2 which had it at 60k/6.) I don't think any indy shop will have much experience with this either as few cars have gone through this. That said, it is imperative whoever does this understand that there are 2 different fluids in three locations - Clutches is one, and the Differential and Gearbox is another fluid. There are three different drain plugs and only 2 fill plugs (you fill the diff and gearbox from one.) I would also strongly recommend changing the clutch fluid pan with the integrated filter. My dealership (West Broward) Service Tech was pretty confused about what needed changing and when - said the gearbox was 6 years 60k but that they don't change the clutch fluid...very wrong. It is pricey but nowhere near as much as a new PDK. Moreover, it keeps the shifts smooth as you'd expect from these transmissions. I did it myself for under $1,000 total (with new pan and filter, fluids, and ancillary tools/lift time.) The dealer was telling me $1,200 just for the gearbox fluid change. I have a post on some of this from when I was going through it. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
The following 3 users liked this post by dannyk304:
SConn (11-21-2023), tmarino (11-21-2023), ZUFNHZN (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 12:19 AM
Sledge911
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a place in Gainesville, GA called Atlspeedwerks they are one of the few places rebuilding PDKs. I took mine there and had them do the service and had them put an aluminum pan on so next service is easier and cheaper and the aluminum pan lets transmission run cooler.

Last edited by Sledge911; 11-21-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:30 AM
myturbo2
Track Day

This is so confusing. I have just 39.5k on the odometer and just was told through a dealership that the PDK’s need to be serviced every 120k or 12 years. Knowing the PDK’s are complicated and expensive I thought better to have it serviced, right? Then I’ve read a ton here on RL and just like dannyk304 says, not to many tech’s, dealerships or Indy’s actually know much about them. I’ve read all about the different oils, different compartments and then there’s the filter which makes sense to have it changed but again, not many even bring it up which again is scary…so, what do you do and where do you go?
Old 11-21-2023, 10:51 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by myturbo2
This is so confusing. I have just 39.5k on the odometer and just was told through a dealership that the PDK’s need to be serviced every 120k or 12 years. Knowing the PDK’s are complicated and expensive I thought better to have it serviced, right? Then I’ve read a ton here on RL and just like dannyk304 says, not to many tech’s, dealerships or Indy’s actually know much about them. I’ve read all about the different oils, different compartments and then there’s the filter which makes sense to have it changed but again, not many even bring it up which again is scary…so, what do you do and where do you go?
not to further complicate your thought process and research...but I've seen a few folks on here, and service writers at multiple reputable shops tell me the 12 year/120k interval is actually too long if you drive your car hard. I just did a full pdk service, including replacement pan/filter + clutch oil at 60k miles.

As for a shop rec. European Road Racing is a very capable shop. This is a standard service for them. Autometrics in Summerville is also very good. I have close friends that have used both for their 911's and always heard good things about both when I lived in Charleston.

Last edited by jpu1; 11-21-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:35 AM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpu1
not to further complicate your thought process and research...but I've seen a few folks on here, and service writers at multiple reputable shops tell me the 12 year/120k interval is actually too long if you drive your car hard. I just did a full pdk service, including replacement pan/filter + clutch oil at 60k miles.

As for a shop rec. European Road Racing is a very capable shop. This is a standard service for them. Autometrics in Summerville is also very good. I have close friends that have used both for their 911's and always heard good things about both when I lived in Charleston.
I think 60k/6yr is probably too early, unless you're tracking the car. I drive very spirited on every drive, I make aggressive gear changes high in the RPMs, downshift often, etc. My car hit 100k and I wanted to do it earlier than recommended. That said, my fluid was not very dirty, neither the clutch nor the gearbox - definitely used and dirty, but not overly so. Also, the pan which houses the integrated filter also has a couple of strong magnets to capture metallic residue, and these were very lightly covered in metallic powder as you'd expect, not excessive in any way. Could it have gone another 20k miles, very likely, but after making the change I must say that my shifts are smoother and quieter. I used to have a clunk downshifting from second to first pulling up to a light, now it's still there but more muffled, subtle. Yes, do this service. And since your car (OP) has less than 40k miles, you likely won't need the pan/filter replaced. The additives in the fluids break down over time, regardless of usage, and it is these friction modifiers that matter. I don't know any shops, perhaps the ones mentioned by other posters would be good. There won't be too many experienced with the 991.1 as time is just starting to approach, but if the indy shop has worked on 997.2 PDK as they are rather similar, almost the same, perhaps they'll have a good foundation to do this properly. Just ask them to go through the process verbally with you to get an idea they know what they're talking about.
SConn (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:56 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk304
I think 60k/6yr is probably too early, unless you're tracking the car. I drive very spirited on every drive, I make aggressive gear changes high in the RPMs, downshift often, etc. My car hit 100k and I wanted to do it earlier than recommended. That said, my fluid was not very dirty, neither the clutch nor the gearbox - definitely used and dirty, but not overly so. Also, the pan which houses the integrated filter also has a couple of strong magnets to capture metallic residue, and these were very lightly covered in metallic powder as you'd expect, not excessive in any way. Could it have gone another 20k miles, very likely, but after making the change I must say that my shifts are smoother and quieter. I used to have a clunk downshifting from second to first pulling up to a light, now it's still there but more muffled, subtle. Yes, do this service. And since your car (OP) has less than 40k miles, you likely won't need the pan/filter replaced. The additives in the fluids break down over time, regardless of usage, and it is these friction modifiers that matter. I don't know any shops, perhaps the ones mentioned by other posters would be good. There won't be too many experienced with the 991.1 as time is just starting to approach, but if the indy shop has worked on 997.2 PDK as they are rather similar, almost the same, perhaps they'll have a good foundation to do this properly. Just ask them to go through the process verbally with you to get an idea they know what they're talking about.
That's good to know and you very well may be right that 60 is too early. However, when shops servicing cup cars are telling you that the factory interval isn't correct I didn't see any harm in doing it early. Less than $1000 in early service on a 15-20k mistake otherwise is ok with me. And like you said, your car is driving better post service...so maybe you should've done it sooner
Old 11-21-2023, 02:51 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpu1
That's good to know and you very well may be right that 60 is too early. However, when shops servicing cup cars are telling you that the factory interval isn't correct I didn't see any harm in doing it early. Less than $1000 in early service on a 15-20k mistake otherwise is ok with me. And like you said, your car is driving better post service...so maybe you should've done it sooner
If I were running a cup car, or even moderately tracking my car I too would do this service earlier. If it were as simple as a regular oil change I'd do it once a year, I change my engine oil every 3k miles because I can. To be clear, the full PDK service only cost me about $1,000 because I did it all myself. The average owner is unlikely to bother and the full service will likely run in the several thousands - the dealer quoted me $1,200 for the gearbox alone - not even the diff which is ridiculous as it's right there and only an extra half liter of fluid. the clutch is more complicated and time consuming, requiring plugging into Piwis (or bi-directional scanner) to fill properly and of course there's the pan/filter. Perhaps I could have done it at 80k miles but I didn't notice any real degradation to 100k. It is smoother and quieter but not noticeable to anyone but me. Bottom line, the FULL PDK service is highly advisable and timing may differ, but I'm happy with 100k mile marker for my type of driving, and the car was 6 years old at the time. At 12 years I'd do it even if the miles are well below.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Steffner
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sledge911
There is a place in Gainesville, GA called Atlspeedwerks they are one of the few places rebuilding PDKs. I took mine there and had them do the service and had them put an aluminum pan on so next service is easier and cheaper and the aluminum pan lets transmission run cooler.
Sledge911;
I dont live too far away from them and have been to their shop for a PDK seminar. But never asked what they charge for the service. Was it cheaper than taking it to one of the dealerships around here?
Old 11-21-2023, 08:53 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I read somewhere! That Zf who make the gearboxes say 60k 6 years, given this forum is full of people asking about second to first clunk and other misc gearbox rattles and screams, it’s the obvious thing to do, not just if you don’t have a warranty but for your driving pleasure and ocd of getting the absolute best out a car which you quite clearly bought because you enjoy the finer things in life and don’t want to drive a banger around!

I’ve got 49k now and climbing and I’ve been wanting to do it for the last 4k miles but every time I plan it, something else breaks or needs changing and I think well maybe the gearbox will break and I’ll get a new one under warranty 🙈🙈😂
Old 11-22-2023, 12:44 AM
Sledge911
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steffner
Sledge911;
I dont live too far away from them and have been to their shop for a PDK seminar. But never asked what they charge for the service. Was it cheaper than taking it to one of the dealerships around here?
I paid $1800 for aluminum pan and oil change. It will be cheaper next time since since I don’t have to change the pan. I believe the 992s they don’t recommend the 10 year / 120,000 and now it is closer to 60,000 miles. I may be wrong but I thought I read that. For those debating on changing, I would say better safe than sorry.
Steffner (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:34 PM
myturbo2
Track Day

I called AtlSpeedWerks and they answered all my questions and seemed to have the right answers being well versed the PDK. I’ll probably have them do the service along with the aluminum pan exchange…heck it just another $1800 (*&^%$#@!!!!!

Thanks for comments
Sledge911 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Anyone know any shops in NY/LI area?
Old 11-22-2023, 04:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 376 Likes on 225 Posts

The filter is part of the plastic pan and gets replaced every time you do a service and you replace the plastic pan. What about the aluminum?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PDK service advise