Sponsored by:

6 year old tires…

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 07:50 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Googling, I have seen "should" and "recommneded" but that does not mean they have to be replaced. I'd want the dealer or shop to show me that policy in writing from the department of transport for the state or province
yeah, the buyer wasn’t happy. He was buying winters anyway, so he put them on for the safety, then put the summers back on until it was time to switch over.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 08:13 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 278 Posts

The Out of Province inspection is definitely strict in AB. It seems like a make work project for the garages.

They said I had to replace pads with 50% life, as they 'looked' worn.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Don't know about that being 49 years accident-free and claim-free and have never had a tire failure either.
Yes, and I tore the steel belts through the full tread of a brand new set of TrofeoR at the track in one session.

I tore the bead off a brand new Cup2.

We are not the same my friend. I tend to reach the limits of the tyres frequently. It’s different from commuting. I always have fresh tyres, brake pads, rotors and brake fluid. They are consumables and perishables.

I bet you six year tyre veterans have the same fluids in the car as well.

People say they wouldn’t buy a car that has been tracked. Tracked car have everything on them brand new. Its being constantly refreshed. Crusty, commuter cars have old, decaying tyre, fluids and brakes. Again, not a brag that you commute around for 6 years and never have an issue.

It means you are not getting the same driving experience as someone who is chomping through consumables.

I get everyone is not a track rat. But its a 911. You still want it in tip top condition should the mood strike. Or is that the point? The mood never strikes, the speed limit is the speed limit and you set the car in fuel saving mode and putter around? I drive it like I stole it.

As Jerry Seinfield says, “If you get to heaven with the lowest miles on your Porsche, you loose. Failure to enjoy is the biggest sin.”

if you just enjoy commuting at the speed limit, there are better cars than a 911 for that, I’m sure.
spyderbret (11-16-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
People say they wouldn’t buy a car that has been tracked.
Why would I when I can find a car that hasn't been stressed to the limit for its entire life.

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I get everyone is not a track rat. But its a 911.
Exactly and if I had your money, I'd buy a house next to the track and be on it all the time. Ever since I've been on the track since 2021, street driving in my books is a waste of time and my P car street mileage is way down since then. To me being on the track is everything. But growing up on the other side of the tracks, there was no way I would even ask my mom for a 3-day Jim Russell course in a Formula Ford when I was 18. Its tough coming from WWII with nothing.

My tires are doing just fine on my daily driver based on 49 years of "licenced" driving and even longer before that.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Climate controlled garage in Florida

On a non tracked car Im gonna go 8 if no visible cracks. Tires are not made like 20 years ago and even when they do go out catastrophic blow outs have been somewhat engineered out. That being said, I have found very little reason to go much over 140. Exponential increases in danger occur at that level and above. Things happen very quickly.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:44 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,747 Likes on 958 Posts

It's not just a blowout for why you dont want ancient tires. Tires harden up over time and the grip falls off a cliff. That means they break loose sooner and their stopping distance increases significantly.

I had a set of dunlop starspecs that I only replaced 2 tires on once thinking how bad can it be. I put the new tires on the back; drifted every single corner on the track. Car was completely undrivable, so I swapped the tires front to back on that car and now the car had no grip in the front and couldn't turn understeering every corner like crazy. That's how big of a difference in grip new tires vs heat cycled out tires had, and they weren't even very different for age, just 2 at 50% tread vs 2 fresh ones.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:29 AM
aero z
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had quite the discussion with Tirerack/Discount Tire (I dont remember which it was) when I changed my 911 tires. The tires arrived and the date codes were almost 1 year old. They said they will sell tires up to 1.5 years old per the date code on the tires. The date you put them in service is when the change interval begins. Didnt really agree but said if they exchanged them they couldnt guarantee I'd get a newer set.

I saw cracking on tires on my Toyota and they were only 5 years old so I replaced them quickly. No way Id trust visible cracks on the 911. On our Mini the BF Goodrich tires looked fine at 7 years and only 30k miles. I replaced them myself (due to age) and the tires/sidewalls were as hard as concrete (not run flats) so it was a ticking timebomb. Another set of Yokohamas on another car I replaced at 10 years (12k miles) and they felt fine but still piece of mind to change based on age.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:06 PM
PHLY991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Those tire dates are the same as the ‘best used by’ dates on your yogurt… you’re more likely facing death each day you go beyond it.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:09 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PHLY991
Those tire dates are the same as the ‘best used by’ dates on your yogurt… you’re more likely facing death each day you go beyond it.
Do tell. Which flavor is the most dangerous! 😊
911T4ME (11-18-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 11:50 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,747 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by aero z
I had quite the discussion with Tirerack/Discount Tire (I dont remember which it was) when I changed my 911 tires. The tires arrived and the date codes were almost 1 year old. They said they will sell tires up to 1.5 years old per the date code on the tires. The date you put them in service is when the change interval begins. Didnt really agree but said if they exchanged them they couldnt guarantee I'd get a newer set.

I saw cracking on tires on my Toyota and they were only 5 years old so I replaced them quickly. No way Id trust visible cracks on the 911. On our Mini the BF Goodrich tires looked fine at 7 years and only 30k miles. I replaced them myself (due to age) and the tires/sidewalls were as hard as concrete (not run flats) so it was a ticking timebomb. Another set of Yokohamas on another car I replaced at 10 years (12k miles) and they felt fine but still piece of mind to change based on age.
Well, tehy got a point since tires are often made in batches of sizes it seems. Big run of 225x40/18s in feb, but aren't running 245/40/18s until april or something I think is how tire manufacturers often do it, at least the big brand name guys. But I do know from getting containers of tires from China a full container of tires will all be within the same month though regardless of sizes in it (although I also know they didn't run some oddball sizes at certain times).
Old 11-18-2023, 09:42 AM
PhilNYC
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in south NJ at the shore a little north of Atlantic City and will be getting new tires in the next 2-3 weeks. On the car now are P-Zeros: fronts are 245/35x20 date code 3118 and rears are 305/30x20 date code 4620. If they can help you out you're more than welcome to them for free but you need to get here and pick them up on the day I have the new tires mounted, I'm not going pack, ship, or drive them anywhere. Otherwise they go with the TireRack mobile installer or whoever I end up using to mount the new set.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:56 PM
911Mann
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Only thing I would add is to make sure that the new tires you get have date codes that are 6 -9 months old, 12 months max, but try for 6 - 9.

I once bought new tires at my Porsche indy shop, I saw them before they were installed, and the date codes were 3 years old. The shop sent them back and got new ones about 8 months old.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Mann:
sailorlite (11-19-2023), SConn (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:08 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Mann
Only thing I would add is to make sure that the new tires you get have date codes that are 6 -9 months old, 12 months max, but try for 6 - 9.

I once bought new tires at my Porsche indy shop, I saw them before they were installed, and the date codes were 3 years old. The shop sent them back and got new ones about 8 months old.
This is great insight...something I wouldn't have even considered doing! Just put some winters on my AMG GTC this week. Curious how old they are now...

If "new" tires are nearly a year old before they even go into service, that shortens the life even more for those who like to toss them at 5/6 years.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:08 PM
911Mann
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SConn
This is great insight...something I wouldn't have even considered doing! Just put some winters on my AMG GTC this week. Curious how old they are now...

If "new" tires are nearly a year old before they even go into service, that shortens the life even more for those who like to toss them at 5/6 years.
If your Porsche is your daily driver and you drive it 6,000 - 10,000 miles a year or more, the date codes don't matter that much. The tires are going to wear out before they age out. But for most Porsche drivers, at least as far as I can tell, it's a 2nd or 3rd car and it's driven 2,000 - 5,000 miles a year, and in that case, the tires are going to age out before they wear out, and therefore, one needs to be vigilant about date codes and age.

Also, tires age and dry out even when they're sitting in a warehouse. So don't just count age on the car.

Last edited by 911Mann; 11-19-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:11 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Mann
If your Porsche is your daily driver and you drive it 6,000 - 10,000 miles a year or more, the date codes don't matter that much. You're going to wear out before you age out. But for most Porsche drivers, at least as far as I can tell, it's a 2nd or 3rd car and it's driven 2,000 - 5,000 miles a year, and in that case, the tires are going to age out before they wear out.
Right...but I guess I just expected the new tires I buy to actually be new.
I have a 2019 AMG with Cup 2's that are 5 years old now but have under 2500 miles, so this thread has been interesting to me.

Quick Reply: 6 year old tires…