spark plug removal with engine slightly warm or cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 06:05 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Spark Plug Change - Final Follow-Up

Just a follow-up to increase the knowledge base here:

1- I replaced some plugs with a very slightly warm engine, and some with the engine stone cold. All went fine, and no real difference.
2- I used the GearWrench 5/8" Swivel Spark Plug Socket with magnetic insert as recommended by others on this forum. You can get it cheap on Amazon
3- Even with the swivel socket, you will need various extensions with universal joints or wobble adapters to work around the exhaust components. I've never had good experiences with universal joints, and I don't trust torque wrench values put through a universal joint, so I used the wobble extensions pictured below that are also available cheap on Amazon. I think the more gentle radius of the wobble extensions vs. a universal joint should give more accurate torque values, but it's still best to keep everything as straight as possible when measuring torque.
4- It's a pretty easy job, and Porsche did a great job of designing in accessibility given the engine location. I don't know why anyone would ever pay the exorbitant dealer costs for this.

The following users liked this post:
shyamvenky (11-11-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone have the torque value for the 991.2 spark plugs? Thanks

I found it ..... 17 ft lbs.

Last edited by Kelsey; 12-05-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:29 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Warm/hot must be OK since lots of folks drive to the dealership to get this done and are out in a few hours.
obviousluy U dont go to my dealership, nothing gets done in a few hours.

Quick Reply: spark plug removal with engine slightly warm or cold