Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 door check strap replacement how-to with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023 | 11:56 AM
squidge
Pro

Default 991 door check strap replacement how-to with pictures

My 991.1's doors often remind me of the '85 Lincoln Town Car my dad had when I was a kid in the 90s - creeeeaaak. So when I sent my door panels off to Pedro to be reglued, I figured I'd pick up the updated door check straps (aka guide/hinge) from Suncoast, https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1GUIDE.html, since installation requires removal of the door panel. I couldn't actually find any writeups on this process though, so here's my quick instructions. It's a somewhat self-explanatory job if you're handy, but there's an oddball tool requirement that might throw a curveball at you.

Tools you'll need for the check strap replacement specifically, beyond what's needed for the door panel removal:
10mm socket
T25 Torx
M8 triple square -- this is essentially a T40 Torx with double the teeth, but don't try to do the job with that, this is available at a local parts stores in a set or individually at Amazon or Tekton. Sadly, this was not the same size triple square I used on my 993 fan/alternator assy one time and then threw in a drawer, and so I now own another likely one-time use Porsche tool...

Instructions:
• Remove the door panels -- the Musicar video on YouTube is to-the-point
• Open the door all the way and put something heavy and non-abrasive behind it to prevent to the door from opening more than it should, maybe also something on the inside to keep it fully stationary
• Remove the main speaker - T25 torx screws + one easy harness
• On the leading edge of the door, pop out the plastic access panel using whatever tool you did during door panel removal
• Loosen the M8 triple square bolt but don't remove yet
• Loosen and remove the two 10mm screws holding the strap
• Remove the M8 bolt
• Remove the strap by pulling it into the speaker hole
• Reverse steps to install the new strap, and don't forget the plastic access panel, which the strap slides through before you bolt it down
• The part of the strap that accepts the M8 bolt has play up and down before tightening, just center it
• Tighten everything up to close to what it felt like during removal -- probably 30lb/ft on the M8 and 10ish on the 10mm screws. You know, gutenteit.
• This is pretty low stakes since if things loosen up on you, you're going to know it when you get in and out of the car, so I didn't search for specs here.
• Pop the panel back in place

Enjoy your newly silent door!

I also took this opportunity to add a couple of small pieces of sound deadening to the inside of the outer door skin via the speaker hole, as far back in the door as I could get my arm since there's some at the bottom left from the factory, further reducing resonance a little bit and giving the door a subtly better "thunk" when closing. You're not trying to coat the whole inside of the door, just adding a couple of thumb-sized pieces, like putting your finger on a cymbal.

Also the new and old straps are nearly visually identical, but the original part numbers end in .100 and the new ones in .101.

(BTW no affiliation with any of the vendors I mentioned.)

Last edited by squidge; 10-27-2023 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023 | 03:06 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the write up.
Old 10-27-2023 | 04:58 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I just did this. Omg I put up with squeaky doors for too many years!!

Old 10-27-2023 | 08:11 PM
THXSWA
AutoX

Great write up and thank you! Does anyone have the part number for the updated hinge? Do fasteners come with it?
Putting together a list of winter "to do" list, including all the nagging little things I've neglected over the years.
Old 10-28-2023 | 10:30 AM
squidge
Pro

Part number is 991 537 151 01. No new fasteners included or required, just reuse.

Quick Reply: 991 door check strap replacement how-to with pictures