Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW HAS Kit Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023 | 03:55 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Default KW HAS Kit Troubles

I wanted to improve the stance and drivability of my 17’ 911 C2. Like anyone, I researched the options and believed that the KW HAS kit provided the best options. I knew I would the C2 wasn’t going to be tracked so coilovers were a bit overkill but the car would benefit from a better overall stance and suspension. Thinking that springs alone wouldn’t provide the adjustability needed, I chose the next best thing.

I chose a shop near where I live that was an authorized dealer/installer. After 3 days, I got the C2 back and the stance wasn’t where I thought it should be and asked the owner some questions. Why isn’t the front lower? I was told that the front suspension was bottomed out and no further adjustment could be made. The KW webpage promises anywhere from 0.6” to 1.4” adjustment. These kits aren’t cheap so expectations are high. On my C2, I only got 0.37”! Thus begins the search for answers.

Contacting KW was the next step. I did so via the website and within a few days, I got a response. Not a very encouraging or helpful one but nonetheless a response. After jumping through some hoops for KW, like measuring distances from hub to fender, from knuckle bolt to spring perch and so on. I was told that the engineers in Germany said that ‘everything’ was within spec. One particular measurement they used was the knuckle bolt to spring perch. Mine measured 130mm, however, the install manual listed 135mm as the minimum. I never got an answer as to why or how that was within tolerance. I repeatedly asked why the product description listed 0.6” to 1.4” adjustment when that never happened on my C2. Again, no answer from KW.

So now I have a very expensive suspension system that doesn’t work as advertised. Anyone considering KW may want to take a second look elsewhere.

UPDATE: 10/18/23
I wanted to provide more information with respect to KW. After multiple emails and finally reaching a manager. we reached a beneficial arrangement for both sides. KW provided additional hardware that took the suspension to the level intended.

Last edited by ranlor79; 10-18-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2023 | 04:21 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

I have the HAS kit on my 17 Base and had no problem getting it lowered. I think I lowered my front around .75 inch and could go lower.

Old 10-03-2023 | 04:53 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranlor79
I knew I would the C2 wasn’t going to be tracked so coilovers were a bit overkill but the car would benefit from a better overall stance and suspension.

I got the C2 back and the stance wasn’t where I thought it should be…..Why isn’t the front lower? I was told that the front suspension was bottomed out and no further adjustment could be made.

These kits aren’t cheap so expectations are high.

So now I have a very expensive suspension system that doesn’t work as advertised. Anyone considering KW may want to take a second look elsewhere.
Lets be clear, these kits are cheap. You went cheap and they didn’t give you the adjustability or look of a true coilover. You don’t have a very expensive suspension system at all, you have one of the cheapest. Your expectation was that you could get the look and stance of a true coilover without spending the money.

KW has answered your question up front. You are out of adjustment. Thats the end of the storey. If you want more adjustment, actually buy an expensive suspension system called coilovers. Tractive coilovers are threaded the entire length of the tube. Compare that to the amount of thread your HAS kit has. If you still think you have an expensive setup, also compare the price of the two.

You have to pay to play. You spent a little bit of money, and got a small improvement. Your expectation is the problem. You thought you could achieve coilover stance and handling without spending coilover money, You now think what you spent was expensive because it didn’t give you your desired outcome.

I truely thank you for your contribution and honesty.
Let this be a lesson to others not to half *** things.
When you go cheap, it is never as good as doing it right the first time.

I get it. In your mind, you have spent a lot because it didn’t do what you wanted. But in reality, you spent a little and expected it to be the same as if you had actually spent a lot. So now it was an expensive exercise. That is true, because now to get what you want you have to spend more and get coilovers. That is the lesson. Repeat after me, coilovers are not overkill. They are worth the money. They will not only give you the look you want, they will actually improve handing.

Hopefully you can sell them to someone that doesn’t want the car as low and will suit them, so you can recoupe most of your money, and actually buy an expensive setup and know its worth it. Good luck.

Or you can throw good money after bad, buy a 30mm shorter front spring. Then wind them up. (Don’t do this, get coilovers).

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 10-03-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2023 | 05:20 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

If you decide on buying springs, please discuss spring rates so you have some data so your expectations can be met.

Do you have a pic of your HAS kit springs?

There should be three numbers. Height/diameter/stiffness

For example 170 long/height 60 diameter 100 stifness.

Yours are most likely soft.

If you did have 170 long you could drop to a 140 long then you have full up adjustment to reduce that drop.

You could use this opportunity to significantly increase handing with spring rate. But you said you don’t track.
So, I need your use to advise you.
Old 10-03-2023 | 10:21 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

OP, can you post some pictures of the installed parts?
With wheels off. It is possible that the parts were not installed correctly.

This kit is designed for lowering the car (and corner balancing). So it should provide the promised drop. Unless the suspension was modified in some way prior to KW HAS.

Old 10-03-2023 | 11:09 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

When I installed my HAS kit on the front, I unbolted the shock from the upright. When I put everything back together and lowered the car off the jacks, it didn't look any lower. I removed the wheel again and noticed I did not place the shock in the same position in the upright as it was before the install. The shock was too far out of the upright when I tightened the bolt causing me not to get the drop I had hoped for. When I moved the shock down into the upright , I got the 3/4 inch drop I was hoping for. Check to see that the shock is in the correct place.
The following users liked this post:
jesm (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 04:47 AM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Well thank you for letting me know I went half-***. For some reason, I thought just buying springs would qualify for half-***, so again thank you for straightening that out. I guess you could say the same about my choice in 911's, the C2. Certainly not a GT3 and not even a S, I must have some nerve.

BTW, it's just the fronts that didn't 'do' what they were suppose to. The fronts have no adjustment left on the threaded barrel while the rears have plenty of room.

As far expectations, I wanted the kit to perform as advertised - KW states 0.6" to 1.4". I didn't get the 0.6" as a minimum, it only went down 0.375" I considered coilovers, but for $8k on a car that will never be tracked I couldn't justify that. Again, my apologies for being half-***. Now that I have your member id, I can run by any future upgrades to make sure I'm not half-*** it.

My background is in aircraft maintenance so if you think that my first thoughts are cheap, well I hope you enjoy your next flight.
Old 10-04-2023 | 05:15 AM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the install,
I've wondered what the purpose of the 'helper' spring is since it's completely compressed even when the strut is not under load.

Last edited by ranlor79; 10-04-2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2023 | 07:58 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Well thank you for letting me know I went half-***. For some reason, I thought just buying springs would qualify for half-***, so again thank you for straightening that out. I guess you could say the same about my choice in 911's, the C2. Certainly not a GT3 and not even a S, I must have some nerve.

I considered coilovers, but for $8k on a car that will never be tracked I couldn't justify that. Again, my apologies for being half-***. Now that I have your member id, I can run by any future upgrades to make sure I'm not half-*** it.

My background is in aircraft maintenance so if you think that my first thoughts are cheap, well I hope you enjoy your next flight.
Let me leave you with a quote from Bad Boys.

Daughter : Dad, this pool is a piece of garbage.

Father : This pool cost $8,000.

Daughter: How much were the good ones?

i never mentioned your car. But now that you mentioned it, where does the C2 sit in the range? Is it expensive as well?
Old 10-04-2023 | 09:37 AM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised you would quote “Bad Boys" and forgive me for being somewhat cryptic here but given it’s a public forum - 6 21

Last edited by ranlor79; 10-04-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2023 | 10:22 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the install,
I've wondered what the purpose of the 'helper' spring is since it's completely compressed even when the strut is not under load.

Something isn’t right here, like you said, the helper spring is completely compressed without any load. I would send this pic to KW. Maybe this kit is defective? Incorrect for your model? Every part has a number on it so KW should be able to check.

And there is nothing wrong with C2/Base 911! They are all great cars. Base models are lighter, and more reliable! I had a base Cayman for 6 years and loved it.
timothymoffat (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 10:52 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

I'm confused as to why you aren't holding the installer responsible for the end result - they're an authorized dealer for KW right? Did you spec this or did they? Did they order the parts also? Feels like they should be answering these questions but I surely don't blame you for gathering info on RL. IMO this kind of conversion is a great bang for the buck for us normies who don't run huge power or cook brakes in 3 laps.
The following 2 users liked this post by cbredesen:
ranlor79 (10-04-2023), timothymoffat (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 11:53 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

That looks much different than my HAS kit on my base. I don't have helpers in the front nor do I have that black piece at the bottom. That does not seem right. I will look at mine later today and get a picture.
timothymoffat (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 12:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread and looking forward to the final result as I consider my options on this as well. Reminds me of my 993 days...as the cars are now getting out of warranty owners go down the road of modding their cars slightly and issues arise. It's great to inform others of any problems encountered along their various journeys.

I'm not sure I understand the condescending response from one individual. Despite what seems to be implied here on RL, not every 911 owner spends his life "flat out" on the track. Some of us never do.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 10-04-2023 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by timothymoffat:
cbredesen (10-04-2023), ranlor79 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 01:50 PM
ranlor79
Rennlist Member

KW has seen this pic and didn't raise any red flags. But it doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply: KW HAS Kit Troubles