Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Porsche App

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023 | 03:45 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Default My Porsche App

This is a cross post from the turbo forum, nobody has responded.

So, I have a 2017 tts and have been fiddling with the my porsche app. I understand that the wireless technology in the 991.2 is 3G and not supported in the US. Really?

I was able to do a hot spot with my iPhone, but now what? I wanted to be able to get some of the metrics remotely from my car like I do routinely on my BMW.

Is this even possible with our cars? What is needed to make this app work?

I have read Porsche description of the service and it is confusing at best.

Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by mffarrell:
sailorlite (09-13-2023), timothymoffat (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023 | 04:39 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

the porsche connect module is not actually part of the PCM so your hotspot does nothing there, that module connects directly to vodaphone. unless you want to spend a few thousand to have porsche upgrade your 3G module to a 4G you are out of luck.
Old 09-13-2023 | 04:48 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by rensoyka
the porsche connect module is not actually part of the PCM so your hotspot does nothing there, that module connects directly to vodaphone. unless you want to spend a few thousand to have porsche upgrade your 3G module to a 4G you are out of luck.
Thanks! I sort of figured that. Porsche should be installing 5G, as I would expect 4G will be obsolete soon.
Old 09-13-2023 | 07:28 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

I was told that Porsche is planning on 4G lasting 10 more years. Not sure how realistic that is though.
I could have gotten my module upgraded but honestly, the app does not do much. And now I have a car that can be hidden from the internet! Yea! lol....
Old 09-13-2023 | 11:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by spyderbret
I was told that Porsche is planning on 4G lasting 10 more years. Not sure how realistic that is though.
I could have gotten my module upgraded but honestly, the app does not do much. And now I have a car that can be hidden from the internet! Yea! lol....
+1
Old 09-14-2023 | 09:25 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

You can have the module upgraded to 4G but CPO does not cover it and the cost is around 4K.
Old 09-14-2023 | 01:02 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRunalot
You can have the module upgraded to 4G but CPO does not cover it and the cost is around 4K.
They would have paid for it if you were signed up for Porsche Connect when 3G was shut off. The letter I got from my dealer said the cost would be covered by Porsche. Otherwise, yes, it's not covered under any warranty so you are on the hook for replacement.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023 | 02:48 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret
They would have paid for it if you were signed up for Porsche Connect when 3G was shut off. The letter I got from my dealer said the cost would be covered by Porsche. Otherwise, yes, it's not covered under any warranty so you are on the hook for replacement.
I wish I would have known about this when I purchased the car in January. If I did I would have asked for it be completed before signing the paper work.
This is also one job I'm not sure I want an indy shop performing, but at the end of the day it does not seem to be worth the effort. I do kinda like my car not being in the purview of Porsche or the internet.
Old 09-14-2023 | 03:54 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRunalot
I wish I would have known about this when I purchased the car in January. If I did I would have asked for it be completed before signing the paper work.
This is also one job I'm not sure I want an indy shop performing, but at the end of the day it does not seem to be worth the effort. I do kinda like my car not being in the purview of Porsche or the internet.
3G in the U.S. was shut off in 2022 so you would have already been out of luck, it is expected it will be shut off in canada in 2025. I have noticed that whenever I travel down south I get nothing from the app.

Quick Reply: My Porsche App