Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One step away for my first 911. Am I nuts or missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 06:11 PM
GoaterAz
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Exciting Times! I hope this note doesn't give any anxiety, but just a couple quick observations/suggestions:

1. I'd ask the dealership to FaceTime and walk around the car, panel by panel and call out anything that's less than perfect, interior too. I'm only suggesting this because of how disappointed I was with several cars that were verbally in 'great condition.' I would have been heartbroken had I got on an airplane. I'm not saying the car needs to be perfect, it has 30k miles after all, but I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting into before traveling.

1a. Specifically ask about the PPF, is it peeling up on any edges? Is it yellowing at all? unusual wear? etc. Being a one-owner car (huge plus!!) I'm assuming the PPF has been installed since new, being 6-7 years old and being 'full' PPF, this has potential to be a large unexpected expense to replace. However, it can be removed cheaply.

2. Does the dealership have access to a lift on site? If nothing else, for peace of mind, it would be nice to take a look underneath. Even if you don't know what you're looking at, just point at stuff to make your daughter think you're cool

3. This probably goes without saying, but work out the details of the deal before traveling.

Lastly, there is a 2017 that may be worth a look that was just listed (pictures not up yet) at Porsche South Austin:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AA2A98HS106528

It looks like it has changed hands a few times, but it would be really cool to find the car local and possibly even CPO.

Best of luck, keep us posted! Genuinely excited for you.

The following users liked this post:
SConn (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 06:54 PM
slowrey
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GoaterAz
Exciting Times! I hope this note doesn't give any anxiety, but just a couple quick observations/suggestions:

1. I'd ask the dealership to FaceTime and walk around the car, panel by panel and call out anything that's less than perfect, interior too. I'm only suggesting this because of how disappointed I was with several cars that were verbally in 'great condition.' I would have been heartbroken had I got on an airplane. I'm not saying the car needs to be perfect, it has 30k miles after all, but I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting into before traveling.

1a. Specifically ask about the PPF, is it peeling up on any edges? Is it yellowing at all? unusual wear? etc. Being a one-owner car (huge plus!!) I'm assuming the PPF has been installed since new, being 6-7 years old and being 'full' PPF, this has potential to be a large unexpected expense to replace. However, it can be removed cheaply.

2. Does the dealership have access to a lift on site? If nothing else, for peace of mind, it would be nice to take a look underneath. Even if you don't know what you're looking at, just point at stuff to make your daughter think you're cool

3. This probably goes without saying, but work out the details of the deal before traveling.

Lastly, there is a 2017 that may be worth a look that was just listed (pictures not up yet) at Porsche South Austin:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AA2A98HS106528

It looks like it has changed hands a few times, but it would be really cool to find the car local and possibly even CPO.

Best of luck, keep us posted! Genuinely excited for you.
Thank you for all your advice all of that is really good. From what I gather the car is about a 10 as it's on the showroom floor at this point and not outside. It's crazy the one day that I don't look at all the local dealers a car pops up here in Austin. I've been looking for 6 months and have never found anything spec like that. I called them to give me information about that car however I still think I like the Charleston car better mainly because it's single owner it looks to be in very very good condition and honestly I'm very excited for my daughter and I to take a trip together to make memories.

Also I haven't had great luck with Porsche South Austin as I was interested in another 991.2 s and they didn't seem to really care if they sold me a car or if they ignored me.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:55 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrey
Well if you have seen my threads I have been on the quest for my first 911. I wish I had unlimited finances like many of the members here however I don't so I'll get what I can comfortably afford. I live in Austin and it seems like all of the cars here are priced out of sight, probably because of all the tech bro money but alas I have not been able to find what I wanted in the state of Texas and have slowly venturing outside of Texas. Plan is that if I purchased a car out of state, my 11 year old daughter and I would fly out, look at the car, buy it if it feels right and have a nice daddy daughter drive home. Well I found a car however dang it's 1200 miles away. I found some other cars with lesser options and much less miles (11-12K miles) but they didn't have both Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust. They actually wanted the same money as this car. Would have loved to have leather interior but at my budget it's hard to find in a 2017.

It looks to be in very good condition with full Paint Protection Film (PPF) on the front of the car and 4 brand new tires. Single owner car and a very clean CarFax. Also, I spoke with the Porsche dealership that has been servicing the car since new and the records are immaculate. It's had it's major and minor services done and only needs an oil change June 2024. It's in a smaller town and I cannot for the life of me find anyone to complete a PPI so I may just have to go drive, look and use my instinct because the nearest place that could do a PPI is about 3 hours away.

Let me know if you feel that this car is worth driving 1200 miles for and you feel it's a good, bad or neutral deal.

2017 Porsche 911
Mileage: 30k
Original MSRP: $116, 710
Price: Under 90K
Options:
  • GT Silver Metallic
  • Standard Interior with Leather Sport Seats Plus (18-way) in Black
  • Premium Package Plus
    • LED Headlights, PDLS+
    • Auto dimming mirrors
    • Heated/Vented Seats
    • Entry & Drive
    • Light Design Package
    • Adaptive Sport Seats Plus 18-way
  • SportDesign Exterior Mirrors
  • SportDesign Exterior Mirrors (Lower Trim) painted in high gloss black
  • Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
  • Healight cleaning system covers in deviated Exterior Color
  • "PORSCHE" logo painted
  • LED Headlights in Black incl. PDLS+
  • PDK
  • Sport Exhaust
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels
  • Wheels Painted in Black (High-Gloss)
  • Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with memory package
  • Bose
  • Rear Model Designation Painted
We are all nuts here.
The following 2 users liked this post by justbob:
Pb Pedis (09-14-2023), timothymoffat (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 07:05 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Very well specced car and color combination is done with a lot of taste.
Standard interior I think you can live with it, just check if the door cards are not warped.
Since it has the 3.0 turbo engine, ask if there were any water pump coolant leakage and how it was addressed.

Enjoy the trip back with your daughter and post some pictures of the road trip!

Old 09-13-2023, 11:05 PM
slowrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Watson
Very well specced car and color combination is done with a lot of taste.
Standard interior I think you can live with it, just check if the door cards are not warped.
Since it has the 3.0 turbo engine, ask if there were any water pump coolant leakage and how it was addressed.

Enjoy the trip back with your daughter and post some pictures of the road trip!
I did ask the dealer that the car was serviced at and they stated that the water pump had not been replaced but would be covered under the Porsche 10 year warranty.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:17 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 473 Posts

Soooooooo.......when does it come home?
Old 09-14-2023, 12:35 AM
slowrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Soooooooo.......when does it come home?
Well tomorrow I'm selling my 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1 to the dealer and then next Friday morning my daughter and I fly out to see the car. If all goes well, we'll spend 4 days driving it back to Texas, about 1200 miles. Long trip but I think we'll have a great time.
The following 4 users liked this post by slowrey:
jfischet (09-14-2023), spyderbret (09-14-2023), timothymoffat (09-14-2023), Watson (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:45 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrey
Well tomorrow I'm selling my 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1 to the dealer and then next Friday morning my daughter and I fly out to see the car. If all goes well, we'll spend 4 days driving it back to Texas, about 1200 miles. Long trip but I think we'll have a great time.
If you have the time, you could swing by the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta and Barber Motorsports Museum in Alabama.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:06 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 124 Posts

"These days" GOOD 911's are "PRICE FIXED, that is, most dealers will not discount much, if at all on a car that they have not had in stock for an extended period...
I bought a 19 Red/Black Base Cab PDK,(34,000 miles) a few months ago for $ 94, 000 no reduction in the asking price, and there was another guy waiting if I hadn't bought it..
Had everything I wanted except a clock?? folding mirrors and 14 not 18 way seats So far about 1000 miles in, it's great.....
Enjoy the car, Your daughter and the return trip
Old 09-14-2023, 12:19 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

I did this in 2021. After months of searching for the (my) perfect spec, found one at an Audi dealer in Kentucky. After looking at the Carfax and a bunch of photos online, gave them a deposit over the phone and flew out with my son a few days later to pick it up.

The only proper way to bring a Porsche home!
The following 4 users liked this post by awittig:
dak911 (09-14-2023), slowrey (09-14-2023), timothymoffat (09-14-2023), Watson (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:32 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by awittig
I did this in 2021. After months of searching for the (my) perfect spec, found one at an Audi dealer in Kentucky. After looking at the Carfax and a bunch of photos online, gave them a deposit over the phone and flew out with my son a few days later to pick it up.

The only proper way to bring a Porsche home!
I've always said that cool cars build cool memories as long as two rules are followed:

1. DRIVE THE CAR.
2. Share the experience with family and friends.

A zero mile 911R mothballed in the garage may be cool and worth a fortune. But a well maintained 911 of any description with miles and memories is more covetable to me.
The following 5 users liked this post by timothymoffat:
awittig (09-15-2023), cbredesen (09-14-2023), dak911 (09-14-2023), ITALIAMOTORSPORT (09-14-2023), Watson (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: One step away for my first 911. Am I nuts or missing something?