Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO question (Buying long distance)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 10:06 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default CPO question (Buying long distance)

I’m in the process of purchasing a 991.1. Car is advertised as a CPO vehicle on the Porsche dealers website. Carfax also lists it as CPO. The dealer is 2000 miles away from me. When I received the sales contract via FedEx today I noticed that the FTC Buyers Guide has this car listed “As-Is” and that the Manufacturer’s Used Vehicle Warranty Applies checkbox is not checked. Is this normal for a CPO car? How do I obtain proof from the seller that the car is indeed registered as CPO?

i stopped by my local Porsche dealership this afternoon to independently check the CPO status of the car, but was told it wouldn’t show as a CPO vehicle until after the sale. How can a buyer verify the status before signing the contract? I don’t want to rely on hoping the dealer is honest and will honor registering the car CPO vs just pocketing the cost of certification.

ive read on RL that receiving just the cpo checklist isn’t enough. That just tells you that the car would be eligible or not. Not that the dealer actually registered the car. Seems like a chicken and egg problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:16 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

If you have it in writing, via email, that it's a CPO car from one of the dealership's salespeople, you will be fine.
While not perfect, there's no safer way to buy a car, sight unseen, than from a reputable Porsche dealership, with a CPO warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by WP0:
GoTime (08-09-2023), polobai (08-09-2023), Sajan (08-10-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 11:01 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

I think you are good with the CPO but get that in writing. Get their CPO checklist. Get the car inspected by independent with good reputation. Get alignment. There have been a few cars over the years that have been in a wreck and something has been a bit twisted. Best to you!
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 12:52 AM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

I was in the same boat. I live on the east coast, I was in Colorado for work, and I bought my GTS that was in Chicago.

It was a CPO car, documented, talked to the dealer, certified all good to go. Had it 3rd party PPI'd, luckily it was super clean for the mileage. They also did their due diligence and posted Carfax and truecar inspection. I did, almost, everything over the phone/FEDEX. It was nerve racking, believe me. But it worked out great. Turned into a super awesome road trip back home.
Old 08-09-2023, 02:43 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 408 Posts

Make certain you get it in writing from the dealer. There should be a separate document that indicates what the dealer owes you, might be nothing for some buyers, but this is where you could see mention of the CPO. Further, when/if a car gets CPO prior to you purchasing, there are docs that are signed by the seller and buyer. If you’re purchasing one with the clock already started then require them to send something over, using the example above. In any case, I wouldn’t purchase the car without proper due diligence. There are plenty of instances where someone buys a CPO car without eyes on it and or
no PPI…who are then dissatisfied when receiving the vehicle. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:46 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

111 points checkup can be done on any car so it does not prove that the car is CPO as you mentioned.

I would not sign the document without warranty.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:02 AM
Cur
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Ask for a copy of the CPO paperwork. It's a separate sheet of paper listing the VIN, dates, etc.
jt3sd (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 10:00 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

As stated before get the check list for your car. Should be dated recently. Request all maintenance records from dealer. The only real advantage to CPO is ALL MAINTENANCE, tires, brakes must be up to date for it to be CPO UNLESS you are continuing an existing CPO and if that the case you are not getting the full two years. My CPO started on the date the car was picked up from the dealer. Somewhere on your documentation it should say CPO and if its new or if "inherited". Make sure you get two keys. A 911 I was looking at was remainder of CPO but had 1 key. I said it should have two keys and they replied it isn't a new CPO it is has remainder of last CPO. I walked away. They sold the car 2 months later for $3k less, lol.....
Old 08-09-2023, 10:58 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

CPO paperwork should all be part of the sale.

Make sure you know if you are buying a fresh CPO or the continuance of a previous CPO.

Fresh CPO they have to make sure the car is up to the standards and replace wear and tear items as needed. .... 2 years /unlimited miles (could even buy a 3rd year)

Selling a car with a continuance of a previous CPO they are only selling the car with what is remaining and I don't think they have to replace anything even if it is worn out. Remaing months/unlimited miles.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:34 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rephlex71
I’m in the process of purchasing a 991.1. Car is advertised as a CPO vehicle on the Porsche dealers website. Carfax also lists it as CPO. The dealer is 2000 miles away from me. When I received the sales contract via FedEx today I noticed that the FTC Buyers Guide has this car listed “As-Is” and that the Manufacturer’s Used Vehicle Warranty Applies checkbox is not checked. Is this normal for a CPO car? How do I obtain proof from the seller that the car is indeed registered as CPO?

i stopped by my local Porsche dealership this afternoon to independently check the CPO status of the car, but was told it wouldn’t show as a CPO vehicle until after the sale. How can a buyer verify the status before signing the contract? I don’t want to rely on hoping the dealer is honest and will honor registering the car CPO vs just pocketing the cost of certification.

ive read on RL that receiving just the cpo checklist isn’t enough. That just tells you that the car would be eligible or not. Not that the dealer actually registered the car. Seems like a chicken and egg problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Looking at the same form that I got when I bought my CPO'd '15 GTS, the "Manufacturers Used Vehicle Warranty" check box was checked.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:35 AM
rephlex71
Advanced

Heard back from the salesperson. Apparently the car is still quote “going through CPO” and I should hear back when it is completed at the end of the week. I told them I’m not signing paperwork until I have proof of all maintenance being up to date and 2 year CPO being registered.
The following 3 users liked this post by rephlex71:
CSK 911 C4S (08-09-2023), oolor13 (08-09-2023), shammerman (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:36 AM
rephlex71
Advanced

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Looking at the same form that I got when I bought my CPO'd '15 GTS, the "Manufacturers Used Vehicle Warranty" check box was checked.
Thank you! That’s what I would have expected as well. We shall see what happens.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:20 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like your stealership sales person is shady as the rest of them. I would do an independent PPI at this point including paint meter readings.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:36 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Sounds like your stealership sales person is shady as the rest of them.....
That's what concerns me most. Never trust a used car sales man. Ever. Get everything in writing. Always been my policy. I'll wait until the end of the week and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice everybody. Appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

There’s a difference between dealer warranty and manufacture warranty. The dealer is not offering a warranty, which is why that’s checked but the manufacture is. (CPO). This is totally normal. The dealer is not the manufacturer.
Sajan (08-10-2023)

Quick Reply: CPO question (Buying long distance)