Sponsored by:

CPO question (Buying long distance)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 01:45 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye
There’s a difference between dealer warranty and manufacture warranty. The dealer is not offering a warranty, which is why that’s checked but the manufacture is. (CPO). This is totally normal. The dealer is not the manufacturer.
Right, I agree with that. But why then would the "Manufacturer's Used Vehicle Warranty Applies" under Non-Dealer Warranties not be checked? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:49 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 153 Posts

The form you see is pretty much standard in the Industry and required by most States. A one year old car, that still has Factory Warranty will have the same sticker in it quite often. You should be fine and if they are going through the CPO process ( which is quite extensive ) I am sure it will be fine. The process costs the Dealer money to Porsche and they are still responsible for a proper check up, so they would not do a Pre-Owned service on a car that would not pass. Just for your piece of mind, though, there is on reason the Salesperson can not send you a note, email, contract ,etc. saying the car will be CPO'd. Most Porsches Store's know what it takes to CPO a trade in and they will not even attempt doing it if there is any suspect issues. Good luck and I doubt your Salesperson is shady, as he was just telling you from the get go it would be a CPO'd car. If he knew it was going to be done ( likely told in a Sales Meeting ) no reason not to tell you it was nice enough to meet the criteria.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rephlex71
Right, I agree with that. But why then would the "Manufacturer's Used Vehicle Warranty Applies" under Non-Dealer Warranties not be checked? Doesn't make sense to me.
I’m not a lawyer, and maybe it should be checked, but honestly, nobody ever really pays attention to these. Don’t stress over this.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 03:01 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 512 Posts

Just know that dealers have been known to sell a car as CPO without doing an honest inspection and getting the car up to CPO standards. I once had a vehicle I was buying remotely that I had placed a deposit on while it was getting independently inspected and the inspection revealed brakes and tire wear well below CPO requirements. Despite the independent mechanic providing me photographic evidence of the below-standard wear, the dealer insisted that their tech determined it to be ok. Might not have been such a big deal to some, but the idea of buying a car that I would immediately or soon after need to drop $3-4k in new tires and brakes did not sit well with me. This was also before the market was going haywire and people were gobbling up cars at inflated prices so I didn't have to look long before finding the 'right' car.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:02 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Just know that dealers have been known to sell a car as CPO without doing an honest inspection and getting the car up to CPO standards. I once had a vehicle I was buying remotely that I had placed a deposit on while it was getting independently inspected and the inspection revealed brakes and tire wear well below CPO requirements. Despite the independent mechanic providing me photographic evidence of the below-standard wear, the dealer insisted that their tech determined it to be ok. Might not have been such a big deal to some, but the idea of buying a car that I would immediately or soon after need to drop $3-4k in new tires and brakes did not sit well with me. This was also before the market was going haywire and people were gobbling up cars at inflated prices so I didn't have to look long before finding the 'right' car.
This wouldn’t matter, as you have recourse with Porsche CPO. If anything is not up to spec when you receive the CPO car, document it with photos, and take it to the local dealership, and request it to be properly updated to CPO requirements. If they refuse, you can file a CAP Motors claim, and you get arbitration at their expense.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:30 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

I just went through his very same thing last Feb and As is No Warranty Box was checked even though car was still under Porsche Warranty + 2 year CPO and I was buying the car remotely

My salesman explained all the reasons and I felt very comfortable with responses they provided. This is part of the reason why you buy a used car from a reputable P dealer.

All CPO docs were provided to me as well as "in service" date for the car and I felt comfortable.

Needless to say, car was delivered to me in the condition they stated which was later on confirmed by my local P dealer as well.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:33 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTG
I just went through his very same thing last Feb and As is No Warranty Box was checked even though car was still under Porsche Warranty + 2 year CPO and I was buying the car remotely

My salesman explained all the reasons and I felt very comfortable with responses they provided. This is part of the reason why you buy a used car from a reputable P dealer.

All CPO docs were provided to me as well as "in service" date for the car and I felt comfortable.

Needless to say, car was delivered to me in the condition they stated which was later on confirmed by my local P dealer as well.
That's great to hear. I'm waiting on the CPO docs before mailing back the signed contract.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:27 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
CPO paperwork should all be part of the sale.

Make sure you know if you are buying a fresh CPO or the continuance of a previous CPO.

Fresh CPO they have to make sure the car is up to the standards and replace wear and tear items as needed. .... 2 years /unlimited miles (could even buy a 3rd year)

Selling a car with a continuance of a previous CPO they are only selling the car with what is remaining and I don't think they have to replace anything even if it is worn out. Remaing months/unlimited miles.

Good luck with your purchase.
See above!
This is key, the paper doesn't mean much, you need to ask the question.
Where was the CPO inspection done?
Dealers will do what is called a pass through CPO, and PCNA also recognizes this and will not be of much help should something not be right.
I purchased what I thought was a "CPO" done by the dealer...the key is the amount of warranty.
A true CPO done by the dealership you are purchasing it from will have 2yrs from the date of SALE.
If it's less, then it is most likely a pass through CPO.

Be sure to get a PPI no matter where/who did the CPO inspection...even it was done yesterday!
You should also have the owners manual, as that is part of the inspection....I don't have mine, and was told it is on order...from the moon I guess. I purchased the car in May!

Apparently my car has aftermarket parts on it, which is not acceptable on a CPO car, all parts must be OEM. Hence get a PPI is a must.
I talked with PCNA and it was useless, nothing but excuses and was told to work with the dealer. The dealership is terrible, and its a Porsche Dealership, my temp plates actually expired!
The car has been in another dealership 3 times now, and my warranty expires in Nov.
I wish I knew what I know now when I purchased the CPO...do your homework, and at minimum get that PPI done.
My car is a 2012 CS and had 63,000+ miles on it.
I'm driving it every chance I get in case something is about to go, I can still get it fixed under warranty.

On another note, I did see a work order from the previous owner, and he told me the control arms are adjustable GT3 CA, and the PDK is new as of 58,500 miles.
I didn't get to ask him why, the CA and PDK was replaced...I hope it wasn't due to racing on the track, but the car runs just fine other than some little issues here and there.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:38 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Roon
See above!
This is key, the paper doesn't mean much, you need to ask the question.
Where was the CPO inspection done?
Dealers will do what is called a pass through CPO, and PCNA also recognizes this and will not be of much help should something not be right.
I purchased what I thought was a "CPO" done by the dealer...the key is the amount of warranty.
A true CPO done by the dealership you are purchasing it from will have 2yrs from the date of SALE.
If it's less, then it is most likely a pass through CPO.
Thanks for your feedback. The CPO the dealer tells me is being done as we speak at their dealership. It is the full 2 year CPO beginning with the sale of the car to me, as you stated. I'm waiting for official documentation from them about all required maintenance having been completed plus the 111 point CPO inspection sheet.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:07 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rephlex71
Thanks for your feedback. The CPO the dealer tells me is being done as we speak at their dealership. It is the full 2 year CPO beginning with the sale of the car to me, as you stated. I'm waiting for official documentation from them about all required maintenance having been completed plus the 111 point CPO inspection sheet.
Great!
Sounds legit, I purchased the wheel and tire package and used it on the third day of owning the car...those tires are expensive, they also replaced the valve stem...more $$$

Because of what I went through, I'd still have a third party do a PPI, so when I hear those squeaks and rattling I won't be too concerned. Be sure they check the door panels.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:00 AM
KaizerWilhelm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Seattle and bought my car CPO from West Palm Beach, FL. I validate that it feels sketch seeing "As-Is No Warranty" but my car also said that. I received a copy of the CPO paperwork, called my local Porsche Dealer to verify that it was under warranty, then I pulled the trigger. As long as you get the CPO paperwork and can verify on your own, you should be good.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:18 AM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 153 Posts

Again, the used vehicle Governent window notice is required and the reason it says " As Is No Warranty " is primarily to state two items:
1. The Warranty statement is to note to the consumer the Dealer does not provide a warranty. This is often because the vehicle is still under factory warranty and with newer cars this concerns the buyer even more because he/she is aware the factory warranty should still be in effect. Semantics, but keep in mind the warranty comes from the factory and not the Dealer in all those cases.
2. With a CPO vehicle , we are again caught in the middle of a wording issue caused by the mandated form, as any warranty for the car is now coming from Porsche ( or who they contract for Ext. Service Coverage ) and not said Dealer.

If the car has met the strict CPO guidelines, and they show you it is covered, you are in great shape. Hope this helps a bit more and enjoy your weekend.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:03 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 39 Posts

Bought my CPO car long distance as well. As others have said, get everything in writing - the commitment to CPO the car, the CPO inspection report, and the date the CPO term starts and ends. Do all of those and you should be fine. The dealer should provide you a separate agreement to sign for the CPO warranty. You may notice your purchase agreement also may not mention the car has a warranty. The CPO warranty is separate. I’m a lawyer, and this is all very confusing and nonsensical to me too. But it’s how they do it.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:31 PM
rephlex71
Advanced

Quick update. Car is still going through CPO. Sounds like they did quite a bit of maintenance work to get the car to CPO status. Four new tires, alignment, oil and filter, spark plugs, drive belt, serpentine belt, AWD controller oil, new PDCC reservoir.

Car needs a new active spoiler wiring harness which needed to be ordered from Germany. It’s currently in Tennessee waiting to go through customs.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:35 AM
ABQSpeedster58
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 991 came with a document called Porsche approved CPO which describes the warranty, the length and start date. It is signed and dated by myself and the dealer. I also received the CPO inspection sheet.

Quick Reply: CPO question (Buying long distance)