Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wear & Tear Replacing Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023 | 02:55 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

Default Wear & Tear Replacing Shocks?

Has anyone had to replace shocks on their car through wear & tear?

My car has 109k on it and so far so good
Old 08-07-2023 | 03:34 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Msgm1
Has anyone had to replace shocks on their car through wear & tear?

My car has 109k on it and so far so good
What is your current set up?

Regular conventional shocks that come on the base model or the PASM system shocks?

For me just as long as the seals are not leaking they should be good to go.
Old 08-07-2023 | 04:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I think the answer is, it depends. Obviously if you track the car hard and or drive over more bumpy roads they will wear faster as they experience more up and down cycles.

If they are not leaking and they don't pogo they are still "working", but I wouldn't be surprised with 109K if you replace the shocks the car will probably feel tighter in the rebound control. It's one of those things of super slow degradation. Personally I would look at replacing the shocks at around 100-120k miles just to maintain the tighter suspension feel.
Old 08-07-2023 | 04:38 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

PASM
Old 08-07-2023 | 04:39 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
I think the answer is, it depends. Obviously if you track the car hard and or drive over more bumpy roads they will wear faster as they experience more up and down cycles.

If they are not leaking and they don't pogo they are still "working", but I wouldn't be surprised with 109K if you replace the shocks the car will probably feel tighter in the rebound control. It's one of those things of super slow degradation. Personally I would look at replacing the shocks at around 100-120k miles just to maintain the tighter suspension feel.
Ah thx!
Old 08-07-2023 | 04:58 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Agree with the above, shocks are a wear item. If you are sensitive to handling changes, have money to burn, and time to have them changed, go for it. FWIW, I replaced the front shocks on my MB at 100k miles and didn't really notice too much of a difference (but one of mine had developed a squeak, prompting the replacement).
Old 08-08-2023 | 08:30 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

My SPASM rear dampers were shot when I bought my CPO car with 27k miles on them. They were both squeaking and rattling. The rear rebound was also horrible, like an old Cadillac. I had to crank up the rebound in the DSC until I get a new

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-08-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2023 | 10:49 AM
Sajan
Pro

Wish the PASM shocks would tell you when they have lost their effectiveness...
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sajan
Wish the PASM shocks would tell you when they have lost their effectiveness...
during service just have the tech throw the car in the air and check. Also its relatively easy to tell while driving when they actually die. The car pogos with minimal damping control.
Old 08-08-2023 | 04:54 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500

+1. I noticed the rebound after 2 miles after replacing shocks at 61,000 miles. Personally, waiting until 100k miles is too long, but if not used for really sport driving it wouldn't matter. If they start leaking due to age they should have been replaced a long time before. YMMV.
Old 08-21-2023 | 07:07 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

As a data point, my '13 4S PASM with about 55k driver rear started leaking. Interestingly, the driver front CV boot just went too.
Old 01-25-2024 | 08:59 PM
Rapter
Racer

I am having the following symptoms with my 911.

76,000km
5 track days a year for the last 3 years.
The ride is suddenly VERY harsh and uncomfortable. I have noticed the ride quality getting progressively worse over time - currently at the limit of what I am ready to accept.

My front end currently feels as it has ZERO suspension travel ... as if the compression is MAXED out and not allowing the springs to compress and the car hops after encountering road imperfections at low speed.
Another way to describe the feeling is the rebound is hyper-active as if any bump shoots the shock back to full extension without any control.

Cannot tell yet if there are any leaks, but I have been reading on the forum that the shocks may be dead well before they start to leak.

The rear end feels somewhat damped .. maybe a bit bouncy.

I have the DSC installed and have their latest file (the one released after the gt3 touring file).

What is the general opinion/ signs of when the shocks are dead?

In the old days.. the car would bouncy up and down a number of cycles and/ or the shock oil would leak out of the seals. These days it appears the shocks electronics could be dead meanwhile no leaks...
Old 01-30-2024 | 03:30 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rapter
I am having the following symptoms with my 911.

76,000km
5 track days a year for the last 3 years.
The ride is suddenly VERY harsh and uncomfortable. I have noticed the ride quality getting progressively worse over time - currently at the limit of what I am ready to accept.

My front end currently feels as it has ZERO suspension travel ... as if the compression is MAXED out and not allowing the springs to compress and the car hops after encountering road imperfections at low speed.
Another way to describe the feeling is the rebound is hyper-active as if any bump shoots the shock back to full extension without any control.

Cannot tell yet if there are any leaks, but I have been reading on the forum that the shocks may be dead well before they start to leak.

The rear end feels somewhat damped .. maybe a bit bouncy.

I have the DSC installed and have their latest file (the one released after the gt3 touring file).

What is the general opinion/ signs of when the shocks are dead?

In the old days.. the car would bouncy up and down a number of cycles and/ or the shock oil would leak out of the seals. These days it appears the shocks electronics could be dead meanwhile no leaks...
My car was in the shop to get the front axle boot replaced, as soon as the car went up in the air on the lift, a significant amount of oil came pouring out of the rear strut. Unsurprisingly the ride went from ok to bouncing all over the place as you described. I then realized a little bit of buildup on my garage floor was the rear strut weeping, not just water and road grime.

I wonder if the DSC is somehow trying to compensate for what I assume is at least 1 worn strut.
Old 01-31-2024 | 08:44 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Whats the best replacement or an upgrade

For a .1 pasm S car. I replaced other shocks with billstiens and its always a major upgrade but I dont track (spirited street driving). Àny chance the DSC causes the shock to wear faster through instant adjustments (Im considering the unit for 2 cars but have not pulled the trigger) ?
Old 01-31-2024 | 10:13 AM
JimEb
Racer

Bought my non-PASM car with 92k miles and the PPI stated weak front shocks. I never replaced them as the car feels tight with hardly any bounce.

Replacing shocks on these cars aren’t as straight forward as other cars. Seems with all the upgraded performance and other options it’s hard to find just a simple affordable OEM replacement. I don’t really know what I should buy.
The following users liked this post:
zinca (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Wear & Tear Replacing Shocks?