Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SS braided brake lines question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 08:49 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 512 Posts

TWO questions for those who've personally done this installation before...
These images are from the Essex website.

1) On the front caliper, when replacing the hardline that connects directly to the caliper (as seen on the left side of this photo), are there any washers or other parts that are needed or just thread the hose connecter directly into the caliper? It doesn't look like there is anything else that comes with the hoses. Assume using stock/OEM calipers. Do you use Loctite?

2) Can anyone tell me what this 3-hose cluster is in front of the rear brake line connection farthest from the caliper? Seems to be a little in the way of the brake line connection.

Old 09-05-2024, 09:14 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 275 Posts

1) The hardline goes directly into the caliper without a washer, if I remember right. The SS lines should do the same. All parts needed will be in the kit you buy. Do NOT use Loctite!! Upgraded calipers use a banjo bolt that utilize a washer on each side of the connection. If using that type of line, the washers will be included in the kit.

2) No need to worry about the wire bundle. It sits in a small open bracket, so simply push it up out of the bracket and move it out of the way and then slide it back in when you are done.

Last edited by jakermc; 09-05-2024 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (09-06-2024), Tier1Terrier (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 09:47 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
1) The hardline goes directly into the caliper without a washer, if I remember right. The SS lines should do the same. All parts needed will be in the kit you buy. Do NOT use Loctite!! Upgraded calipers use a banjo bolt that utilize a washer on each side of the connection. If using that type of line, the washers will be included in the kit.

2) No need to worry about the wire bundle. It sits in a small open bracket, so simply push it up out of the bracket and move it out of the way and then slide it back in when you are done.
Thank you @jakermc . Super helpful as always!!! That wire bundle seems VERY difficult to lift out of that rounded metal clip with the open top end. I've tried to carefully (but firmly) lift it out of that to move it out of the way to no avail. I feel like I'm going to break something if I pop it out and I can't get my fat head back there to see if there's something else that's keeping the bundle secured to that clip. Am I missing something or should that bundle just lift out of that rounded clip?

Old 09-05-2024, 11:07 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Thank you @jakermc . Super helpful as always!!! That wire bundle seems VERY difficult to lift out of that rounded metal clip with the open top end. I've tried to carefully (but firmly) lift it out of that to move it out of the way to no avail. I feel like I'm going to break something if I pop it out and I can't get my fat head back there to see if there's something else that's keeping the bundle secured to that clip. Am I missing something or should that bundle just lift out of that rounded clip?

It should lift right out. The molded rubber around the bundle has an indent in it, that's the part that slips into the clip. It has raised edges around that section that make it fit snug. You could hit it with a little WD40 or other lube and see if it helps you feel more confident pushing it out.

Alternatively, follow that bracket back to the body and unbolt it. Should be an 8 or 10mm bolt.
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (09-06-2024), Tier1Terrier (09-05-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 10:12 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone here particularly @jakermc for some of the finer details, I was able to bang this out in a couple of hours today. I’ve never changed brake lines before so I was a little intimidated until I realized how simple it was. A bit messy, but simple. Before I set out to do this, it wasn't exactly clear to me the benefit of the extra line up front. Now I see why changing out the hard line going into the caliper (on the front only) makes pad changes easier with less risk of damaging the hard line. I definitely recommend the 6 line kit if you're planning on doing brake maintenance more frequently.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 09-06-2024 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jakermc (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: New SS braided brake lines question