Sponsored by:

Resolving dusty brakes that are screeching

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 08:49 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka
I have had my 2017 C2 for a year and not a peep out of my OEM brakes. I'm not a racer but these brakes are perfect.
Fortunately the OEM pads (to be replaced with Endless MX72+) on my 2019 GTS have been quiet their whole life.

To the OP, get them HOT.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:51 AM
mangu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I always got screeching on my 991.2 Targa GTS, stock rotor/pads and otherwise. The only thing that has worked for me (which does require wheel and brake pad removal) is to spray clean the back of brake pads and contact points on calipers, then grease back of break pads and caliper contact points using the same technique and products used in this video:
So I guess, I also vouch for the CRC products that others have recommended.

This is the only "permanent" squeal fix I have found. I say "permanent" because I find that I need to do it about every 6 months. Luckily, I swap b/w summer/winter wheels so I take advantage and do it at the time of wheel change-over. I highly recommend trying it, and/or have your trusted indy do this every 6-months or so.

​​​​​

Last edited by mangu; 07-16-2023 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:47 AM
Moms_spaghetti
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This used to bug me on my 3 BMWs, then my Audi, then my Tesla 3P. Then my 981S and now my 991.1S.

Basically, it's normal for performance car brakes... given the brake dust generated. It used to bug me but now I just ignore it.

But yes, washing the brakes helps temporarily. And so does slamming on the brakes every once in a while.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:56 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I wash my car every 4-6 weeks. I spray Michelin wheel cleaner on the wheels, including brakes, and spray off with a high pressure cleaner. Never had a problem, even though I have read it is quite common.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:01 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

10+ years ago I did a BBK conversion on my Audi UrS6, the Porsche brake pads used to come with a thin backing plate that went in between the pad and the pistons and had clips that inserted into the pistons to keep them in place. No squeals or noise at all from them. Do they still make those? IIRC they cost about $30 a caliper
Old 07-22-2023, 11:02 AM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mangu
I always got screeching on my 991.2 Targa GTS, stock rotor/pads and otherwise. The only thing that has worked for me (which does require wheel and brake pad removal) is to spray clean the back of brake pads and contact points on calipers, then grease back of break pads and caliper contact points using the same technique and products used in this video:
https://youtu.be/ZVZI784Y-Jg
So I guess, I also vouch for the CRC products that others have recommended.

This is the only "permanent" squeal fix I have found. I say "permanent" because I find that I need to do it about every 6 months. Luckily, I swap b/w summer/winter wheels so I take advantage and do it at the time of wheel change-over. I highly recommend trying it, and/or have your trusted indy do this every 6-months or so.

​​​​​
Yes, I always drive me porsches daily and always put Nickel Anti-seize on the areas I highlighted orange (on the Rh pad in the pic). I haven’t had any excessive noise in 13 years of daily driving.
You don’t have to paint the back like the video just a good cover on the contact points. Look at the pad to see where it has rub points and put a few smears of anti-seize. You have to make sure you lube:
1) the nipples that press against the springs
2) the rectangles that ride the slider pins
3) the back of the pads that contact the pistons

I also cover the hub if I’m installing new rotors to keep them from corroding onto the hub. I have a jar of the stuff, but this tube should work for small projects.

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 07-22-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Resolving dusty brakes that are screeching