991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T - SetUp and mods reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024 | 10:19 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

The AP setup with the DS 1.11s was phenomenal, they felt the same on the last lap of the last session as they did on the first lap. I was able to brake later and later each session without a hint of fade. These brakes allowed me to forget about the braking and just drive. On top of that the modulation was great, trail braking with these brakes is phenomenal. On the last session I was finally saw the corner worker you were telling me about, no way I could brake at that point in the past. To brake at that point on PS4s was shocking to me, I've never braked that deep in that corner lap after lap in any of my cars. On top of that I ran 4 30 minutes sessions pushing harder each lap and never backed off, Only had stop 2 sessions a few laps short as I was out of gas. I was using around a 1/2 tank each session. I think I can improve the braking a bit with a few damper tweaks. I made a few at the track but have a few ideas for the front end through the final sector. I'm probably going to raise the car 1/4 inch as I rolled my front fender lips from tire rub, I may also add a quarter degree of negative front camber to put me at -3.25ish. I can't wait to try this setup with Cup 2s!

Bummed you could not drive this weekend, I really wanted to see if those damper settings helped your front end. Once that front end is settled and has a bit more bite it may reveal some issues in the rear end.

I have to say that @4 Point 0 is dead on with the spring rates. 100/140 is great for street/track, and it fixed my outside rear track out issue, and without the 100NM front springs my bumper would have been in the asphalt. I have never pulled 1.38G with PS4s, I'm sure others have done more but for me that is a high new water mark on PS4s, and there was more grip available. With Cup 2s and more power I see 120/170 in my future. These Tractives are amazing.

Now it’s time for the turbo upgrades, so I can get past the 992 Turbo S on the straights and not get stuck behind them through the turns only to have them pull me in the middle of the straights. This was even more annoying when I had to switch to the 93 tune from 103 tune I started the day with.
The following 5 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (06-26-2024), jakermc (06-24-2024), jwoodmor (09-22-2024), spdracerut (06-26-2024), Tier1Terrier (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 10:27 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I have been reading every post in this thread over the last year just trying to soak it all in. After my first track day with my own vehicle (yesterday), so much of what I have been learning in this thread began to make a TON more sense to me. The first and most glaring thing I realized yesterday was how bad brake fade is with stock brakes. Never knew what it felt like before nor should I really have expected to experience it in normal day to day driving. I noticed the fade setting in after only a few laps in each session and the lack of confidence going into the corners toward the end of each session was real. Seeing @jakermc 's stepwise approach to building a perfectly balanced dual purpose 911 Carrera is illustrated beautifully and in a very logical order in this thread. I too appreciate making incremental improvements over time while getting to enjoy the fruits of each change along the way. It would be easy (not on my wallet) to just buy a base Carrera and just drop $20-30k on it all at once to make the ultimate track-day sleeper. In no way can you discount the driving expertise needed to fully realize all the benefits of this build. I'm just here to say thanks and I'm looking forward to continuing to watch the progression of this build.

I literally just spent the last few hours reading it almost entirely again from the very beginning. There are several very knowledgeable individuals here who through trial and error have built out some very impressive machines out of their 991.2 Carreras. Anyone who's thinking about modding their 991 (particularly the .2) should be pay close attention.
You have been bit by the track bug

You looked like you were having a good time!
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024 | 05:00 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by IRunalot
The AP setup with the DS 1.11s was phenomenal, they felt the same on the last lap of the last session as they did on the first lap. I was able to brake later and later each session without a hint of fade. These brakes allowed me to forget about the braking and just drive. On top of that the modulation was great, trail braking with these brakes is phenomenal. On the last session I was finally saw the corner worker you were telling me about, no way I could brake at that point in the past. To brake at that point on PS4s was shocking to me, I've never braked that deep in that corner lap after lap in any of my cars. On top of that I ran 4 30 minutes sessions pushing harder each lap and never backed off, Only had stop 2 sessions a few laps short as I was out of gas. I was using around a 1/2 tank each session. I think I can improve the braking a bit with a few damper tweaks. I made a few at the track but have a few ideas for the front end through the final sector. I'm probably going to raise the car 1/4 inch as I rolled my front fender lips from tire rub, I may also add a quarter degree of negative front camber to put me at -3.25ish. I can't wait to try this setup with Cup 2s!

Bummed you could not drive this weekend, I really wanted to see if those damper settings helped your front end. Once that front end is settled and has a bit more bite it may reveal some issues in the rear end.

I have to say that @4 Point 0 is dead on with the spring rates. 100/140 is great for street/track, and it fixed my outside rear track out issue, and without the 100NM front springs my bumper would have been in the asphalt. I have never pulled 1.38G with PS4s, I'm sure others have done more but for me that is a high new water mark on PS4s, and there was more grip available. With Cup 2s and more power I see 120/170 in my future. These Tractives are amazing.

Now it’s time for the turbo upgrades, so I can get past the 992 Turbo S on the straights and not get stuck behind them through the turns only to have them pull me in the middle of the straights. This was even more annoying when I had to switch to the 93 tune from 103 tune I started the day with.

Love it! What track settings for DSC are you using now? Still the "stock" ones, or have you evolved it?

Old 07-18-2024 | 06:02 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Not 991 related, but we are starting out next build at the shop. A 2014 Cayenne S Overland project. Stay tuned here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...and-build.html

The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (07-18-2024), Tier1Terrier (07-18-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 10:18 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Default A new PB at Sebring

It's been a while since I've been on track, 2 1/2 months, primarily due to a shoulder injury. And even longer since I've been to Sebring (April). So this Sunday I decided it was time to knock the rust off and battle the 90+ weather at Sebring so that I could properly test the latest changes.

Since my April visit to Sebring, the following has happened:

* APR Tune changed from 91 octane to 93 octane
* Tial turbo intake and elbows installed in place of stock
* DSC box was retuned, courtesy of @IRunalot
* New Sport Cup 2 tires installed with only highway miles on them

Despite the high heat that negatively impacted engine performance, the results were outstanding. Logged a 2:22.5 versus a previous best of 2:23.7! And perhaps more telling, I was consistently putting down 23s in all three sessions. So how did the car and driver get there?

1) The tune and Tial upgrades worked flawlessly in the heat. Yes, power was down (max mph was 146 versus 150 in January), but no limp mode or paralyzing heat soak. The car breathes so differently with the Tial piping, I can literally hear the engine change its intake when the wind switches direction. It's another input into the driving experience that not just makes the car faster, but more enjoyable to drive.
2) The car is significantly more compliant with the DSC changes. Some challenging parts became effortless and the parts that remained challenging I was able to attack with increased confidence. And I mean really attack!!
3) This set of Cup 2s were the best Cup 2s I've ever been on. Having done this for many years, I've noticed EVERY manufacturer has some variance in their production. Sometimes you get a set that feels like garbage, sometimes they feel like magic, and most fall in between. This set was fantastic! This was evidenced both in the grip levels and also in the consistent and 100% predictable rise in pressure. I think the DSC had a lot to do with this also, and the tires and suspension where simply in harmony with one another.
4) I put down an "angry" lap. I drove like a quali lap, tires screeching from start to finish. It wasn't a pretty or precise lap (I did make mistakes), but I leaned on the tires to their maximum grip level. Traction control off, manual shifting, and tires at their limit is so much fun!!

Next steps will be nothing more than perhaps a little more tuning to the DSC. @IRunalot is simply a genius when it comes to that box on this platform. There are very few people I'd give my car to and say "do your thing" without overseeing the process. Over the years, when I got a new crew chief, I have to admit it took several races before I could relax in the trailer as opposed to secretly looking over his shoulder. With Max I don't give it a second thought.

The following 5 users liked this post by jakermc:
4 Point 0 (08-13-2024), enzotcat (08-13-2024), IRunalot (08-12-2024), MingusDew (08-12-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 10:37 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

That was a really nice lap and happy to hear the car is handling better. I still see a few things we can work on to pick up a tenth in a couple spots especially in the low speed corners.
4 Point 0 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 11:34 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

@jakermc

I love this update and happy to hear about the discernable improvements in airflow with the tial tubing. It's definitely on my shortlist for upcoming upgrades.

Were your tires Cup 2 "R"s? Just curious.
IRunalot (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 11:45 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@jakermc

I love this update and happy to hear about the discernable improvements in airflow with the tial tubing. It's definitely on my shortlist for upcoming upgrades.

Were your tires Cup 2 "R"s? Just curious.
Just regular Cup 2. The R version is super fast, but degrades quickly. Not worth it unless trophies and prize money are on the line. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (08-12-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 07:08 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IRunalot
That was a really nice lap and happy to hear the car is handling better. I still see a few things we can work on to pick up a tenth in a couple spots especially in the low speed corners.
Are you guys logging the suspension movement or just adjusting based on video and driver feedback?
4 Point 0 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024 | 07:10 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Are you guys logging the suspension movement or just adjusting based on video and driver feedback?
At the moment by feel. Going to start looking at the velocity data next.
Even looking at video you need feedback from the driver, brake, throttle, and steering input to get an idea of what the car is doing.

Last edited by IRunalot; 08-12-2024 at 07:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (08-13-2024), enzotcat (08-13-2024), jakermc (08-13-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-12-2024)
Old 09-07-2024 | 07:18 PM
joe'sdad
Advanced

So I’m missing some key points regarding tunes.

- the choice of 91 rather than 93. Just to save on gas prices?

- Cobb has other adjustments where APR is just the tune big deal?

Like the idea of trying different maps and unsure if there is a single platform that supports this. If I’d like to try both, am I getting an ultralink as well as an accessport? I thought I heard somebody installed an APR tune with their access port.

Last edited by joe'sdad; 09-07-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2024 | 12:19 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joe'sdad
So I’m missing some key points regarding tunes.

- the choice of 91 rather than 93. Just to save on gas prices?

- Cobb has other adjustments where APR is just the tune big deal?

Like the idea of trying different maps and unsure if there is a single platform that supports this. If I’d like to try both, am I getting an ultralink as well as an accessport? I thought I heard somebody installed an APR tune with their access port.
The 91 octane is if you live in California or other states that don't offer 93. My car came from Cali so it was originally tuned for 91 octane, so while I was pumping in 93 since I've owned it I was not getting the full benefit of the tune. They claim an additional 25hp for the 93, but honestly, it feels like more!

APR does more than just add hp. It turns off the auto start/stop and some other nice little changes. I think Cobb does the same. I personally think the APR is a better performing tune, and with the Ultralink, you can change back and forth between different octanes, stock, etc. just like the Cobb. Only advantage I see of the Cobb is the handheld device also also acts as a code reader, which is nice.

Old 09-08-2024 | 12:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Default Car continues to get faster!

On Friday I had my first opportunity to drive Homestead since the recent changes, and knocked another second off the lap time! More importantly, I was able to turn laps like that consistently, one after another. Remember when I said the car was intended to be a GT beater? Here is the current leaderboard from Garmin Catalyst:

The Carrera T is sitting in 13th place out of 92 registered users, basically in the middle of the GT cars. Not bad for the little turbos on the base engine and completely stock suspension hardware other than lowering springs!!

The car's success is all in fine turning the little things. The APR tune is amazing, pulls so strong now that is had the 93 tune. And the Tial inlet pipes and elbows keep the power at full blast all day long. This last track session was 90+ degrees Fahrenheit and power NEVER fell off. The alignment has created a perfectly balanced car, and although limited on Camber, it is so predictable at the limit that I can skip along at that limit safely, and thus match or beat cornering speeds of more capable cars. And finally, and perhaps the most important variable, the DSC with a custom tune is so spot on that I can jump on the throttle on corner exit much earlier than most.

And I can't say enough about how much fun this car is to drive. The power and chassis are evenly matched, and her manners make for a very willing dance partner. The GT-like interior of the T provides the same race car environment one enjoys in the higher end models and also provides and easy way to add the necessary safety items (harness and Hans). I fall more and more in love with this car every time I get to enjoy it. I hope the upcoming Panorama article captured that excitement. It should be published very soon .....

Last edited by jakermc; 09-08-2024 at 12:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jakermc:
defiant2 (09-08-2024), IRunalot (09-09-2024), thesaintusa (09-08-2024), Tier1Terrier (09-09-2024)
Old 09-08-2024 | 01:26 PM
joe'sdad
Advanced

Amazing! Agree about the platform and thanks so much for validating real, demonstrable, incremental upgrades vs cosmetic and acoustics. Don't forget that the driver is part of that kick *** lap time too ;-)
Old 09-08-2024 | 04:24 PM
defiant2
Instructor

This was a great thread. I enjoyed infiltrating this 991 T story to learn a bunch; thanks! I hope someone repeats this with a 992 T so I can learn for mine. If you stumble across an intercooler sprayer kit that will work for the 992 T, please keep me in mind. Had one on an early STi and would routinely drain that tank. With the intercooler where it is (above the exhaust?) on mine, I think the sprayer will be a benefit for hot SW FL. Thanks all!
xiulaba (09-17-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T - SetUp and mods reviewed