Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T - SetUp and mods reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:22 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I have a set of S turbos lying around in the garage, and if I could get Tial to do a swap with both the S turbos and my currently-installed GTS turbos, I rather suspect I'd be very tempted to go to M800s as well!
They accept the S turbos for the remanufactured M880s for around 5.8k. I got the M660s as a "gift”, so I'll send in my S turbos and get the M800s and sell the 660s. Probably be a few months considering I'm now adding , Vektor headers, Tial intercoolers, Tial intake and elbows, and Vektor Cats. Of course an M-Engineering tune for 93/100/103 octanes to cover me on the street and most tracks.Ouch my wallet hurts LOL

After this its the GT3 front bumper and under body aero.

Just ordered the 100/140 springs so I'll be over at @jakermc getting those installed very soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (04-04-2024), spdracerut (04-03-2024), Tier1Terrier (04-16-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:00 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 180 Posts

I just found something else that might help with the heat soak and improve ventilation within the engine compartment. As I was ordering stuff last night, I came across this vented under body panel that is made ti increase airflow to the engine compartment. Now if course we are getting more air in there it will just build up high pressure at the inside of the rear bumper. I think a possible solution to this is to remove the reflectors on the bumper and the material behind them. Then cover the area with a back mesh. I have seen a few project cars at E-Motion have this area cut out for intercooler (GT3 bumper on a Turbo) clearance, but Joey mentioned this helps airflow through the engine compartment.

I think I will give this one a try when the new turbos and stuff gets installed.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718TUNNEL.html

The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
jakermc (04-15-2024), Tier1Terrier (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 10:49 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
I just found something else that might help with the heat soak and improve ventilation within the engine compartment. As I was ordering stuff last night, I came across this vented under body panel that is made ti increase airflow to the engine compartment. Now if course we are getting more air in there it will just build up high pressure at the inside of the rear bumper. I think a possible solution to this is to remove the reflectors on the bumper and the material behind them. Then cover the area with a back mesh. I have seen a few project cars at E-Motion have this area cut out for intercooler (GT3 bumper on a Turbo) clearance, but Joey mentioned this helps airflow through the engine compartment.

I think I will give this one a try when the new turbos and stuff gets installed.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718TUNNEL.html
Very interesting find! Though you are right, it seems it would produce lift unless the air had an escape route. The mods mentioned to do that are very similar to what we use to do on the air cooled cars for the same reasons.
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (04-15-2024), Tier1Terrier (04-16-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:35 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Back on 3/31 I said this was discussing the Dunlop:

So quick summary – a faster and more consistent tire. Breakaway characteristics were a bit quicker than the Nankang, but not in a bad way. Just something to be on top off. Also the front end of the car was noticeably more ‘darty’ on this tire. I think this was due in part to the tire being more responsive and in part due to a potential alignment issue on my right font corner. I think the curbs have done a little tuning of their own and I’ll need to get back on the alignment rack for a tune-up. Longevity remain to be seen, but will continue to report back on that.

So in preparation for a visit to Sebring tomorrow I put her back on the rack, and just as I thought, the RF was toed out excessively. Kind of proud of myself for finally getting the sensitivity to identify a very specific issue on a single corner. My coaches would be more proud, this was something they always tried to teach me to do.

Lesson for us all, alignments need to be done FREQUENTLY on track cars. In competition it was before every race, at a minimum. Sometimes multiple times in a weekend. For frequent HPDE, probably every other or third event is a must.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
scan_20240418130822.pdf (250.7 KB, 13 views)
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

IRunalot (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:55 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Jealous of that front camber! My shop could only get to about 1.8 degrees with all stock parts. Interested to see what direction you go to get more dialed in.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:03 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Jealous of that front camber! My shop could only get to about 1.8 degrees with all stock parts. Interested to see what direction you go to get more dialed in.
1.8 is excellent if completely stock, so they did good! I only got the extra amount through lower springs.
IRunalot (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 03:04 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

1.8 is excellent if completely stock, so they did good! I only got the extra amount through lower springs.
Ah right OK I thought I recalled that you had been fully fully stock!
Old 04-28-2024, 10:50 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Default Dunlop Sport Max Race 2 Update

Quick recap, I was reasonably impressed with the initial day of testing on this tire which encompassed 4 heat cycles. This past Friday, I completed cycles 6-10 and thought it was a good time for an update.

At Homestead, my fastest lap for the day declined from 1:37.7 to 1:38.5. Not horrible, a lot of factors can come into play for that. But while driving, I could not get over the fact that grip in the braking zones had dropped dramatically. And the feel of the brakes was vague, at best. It would go from not braking hard enough right into the ABS, without that happy spot in between. This not only affected braking distances in the hard braking zone, but more importantly it really screwed up my ability to release effectively in the corners that require finesse. Cornering grip was also lower, but not nearly as much as what I felt under braking.

Back home I dove it the data and discovered that my braking g’s had dropped from 1.33 previously to 1.19 on the most recent heat cycles. While track conditions can certainly come into play, I’ve done this long enough to know it was the tires, not the track.

Unlike the Nankang which got faster and faster as it aged, the Dunlop clearly falls off after the initial heat cycles. I see this as a good tire for those doing time trials with a big budget, but really not the best tire for an HPDE driver that is looking to balance speed with consistency and longevity.

I probably have another 6 – 10 cycles left on this tire, so we will see if anything changes in the future sessions. But I suspect this will be the last set I put on this car.
911T4ME (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:01 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Quick recap, I was reasonably impressed with the initial day of testing on this tire which encompassed 4 heat cycles. This past Friday, I completed cycles 6-10 and thought it was a good time for an update.

At Homestead, my fastest lap for the day declined from 1:37.7 to 1:38.5. Not horrible, a lot of factors can come into play for that. But while driving, I could not get over the fact that grip in the braking zones had dropped dramatically. And the feel of the brakes was vague, at best. It would go from not braking hard enough right into the ABS, without that happy spot in between. This not only affected braking distances in the hard braking zone, but more importantly it really screwed up my ability to release effectively in the corners that require finesse. Cornering grip was also lower, but not nearly as much as what I felt under braking.

Back home I dove it the data and discovered that my braking g’s had dropped from 1.33 previously to 1.19 on the most recent heat cycles. While track conditions can certainly come into play, I’ve done this long enough to know it was the tires, not the track.

Unlike the Nankang which got faster and faster as it aged, the Dunlop clearly falls off after the initial heat cycles. I see this as a good tire for those doing time trials with a big budget, but really not the best tire for an HPDE driver that is looking to balance speed with consistency and longevity.

I probably have another 6 – 10 cycles left on this tire, so we will see if anything changes in the future sessions. But I suspect this will be the last set I put on this car.
That pretty much concurs with my opinion of the tire - I'm waiting to finish mine off before either going back to Cup 2s or trying out the CR S version 2 tires. I had a couple of good sessions on it, but I'm 1-2 seconds slower at the same track, same conditions than I am with the Cup 2s. My cornering grip was also down from about 1.45G to about 1.3G - granted that depends on your driving, but I was previously consistently able to hit 1.4G with the Cup 2s. Without going to a Trofeo R or a Cup 2 R, I haven't yet found anything that provides me with better grip than the Cup 2 tires - and in particular the N2 spec; I'm not quite as big a fan of the K1 Ferrari spec, but I still prefer it to the Dunlop. Part of me is hesitant to try the CR S. I've heard some people love the Nitto NT-01, but again, not sure about that tire.
IRunalot (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:10 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
That pretty much concurs with my opinion of the tire - I'm waiting to finish mine off before either going back to Cup 2s or trying out the CR S version 2 tires. I had a couple of good sessions on it, but I'm 1-2 seconds slower at the same track, same conditions than I am with the Cup 2s. My cornering grip was also down from about 1.45G to about 1.3G - granted that depends on your driving, but I was previously consistently able to hit 1.4G with the Cup 2s. Without going to a Trofeo R or a Cup 2 R, I haven't yet found anything that provides me with better grip than the Cup 2 tires - and in particular the N2 spec; I'm not quite as big a fan of the K1 Ferrari spec, but I still prefer it to the Dunlop. Part of me is hesitant to try the CR S. I've heard some people love the Nitto NT-01, but again, not sure about that tire.
I reviewed the Nankang CRSv2 earlier in this thread and really like the tire, even better than the Sport Cup 2 IMO. And at a lower price. Unfortunately Nankang is still battling customs issues and we are waiting for new containers to arrive after the last shipment was sent back overseas. Could still be a little while before product is available on a consistent basis.
IRunalot (04-29-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:49 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 155 Posts

Have a base not a T, but got an alignment and was able to increase front track by 1.4 inches with E-Motion front a arms and shims. Neg 2.5 front and rear camber.

The following 2 users liked this post by F355bob:
IRunalot (04-30-2024), thesaintusa (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:24 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Have a base not a T, but got an alignment and was able to increase front track by 1.4 inches with E-Motion front a arms and shims. Neg 2.5 front and rear camber.
Nice to get that camber and track width! What suspension are you on? Looks a little lower than stock.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:36 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Nice to get that camber and track width! What suspension are you on? Looks a little lower than stock.

KW HAS from Litchfield in England. They have KW springs to their specs. Front E-Motion caster arms and a arms. Rear E-Motion lower control arm with spherical bearing in the upright.

Last edited by F355bob; 04-30-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:37 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob

Love those wheels.

Is it an option to run the control arms / tension arms and a arms without the KW HAS? i.e. stock height with wider track/more camber?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T - SetUp and mods reviewed