Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$500 deductible does not mean $500 out-of-pocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023 | 01:39 PM
abz260
8th Gear

Default $500 deductible does not mean $500 out-of-pocket

Progressive only pays prevailing wage on mechanical labor. Right now that's $85/hr out of my pocket, and I'm looking at ~20 hours. Progressive won't pay to have the steering column replaced, add another $2500. Progressive won't pay for the diagnostic scans. Tack on another $200. Add up all the other little things they won't cover and I'm looking at about $6500 out-of-pocket before deductible.

Anyone ever used their appraisal clause to deal with something like this?
Old 06-29-2023 | 01:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Wow, sounds like a scam.
Old 06-29-2023 | 01:56 PM
Cur
Instructor

<edit>

I thought we were talking about aftermarket warranty type coverage... not insurance payout.

I hit in a deer in my A7 Competition, and took it to the best body repair shop in MA (they are 'approved' for all the high end marques) and I never heard a word other than "it's completed", well into a 5 figure repair.

Last edited by Cur; 06-29-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2023 | 02:07 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Most people don't read their policy UNTIL they have a claim. Most warranties are not a viable financial option...
Old 06-29-2023 | 02:15 PM
abz260
8th Gear

I'm not familiar with any warranties that would cover repairs from an accident. I've used progressive for many years without issue. Albeit I've only ever made glass claims, my family hasn't had issues with their accident repairs. Its difficult to research insurance providers dealings with claims since most are going to pop up with bad stories.
Old 06-29-2023 | 02:58 PM
WJGreer
Racer

I'm not clear whether we're talking about insurance here or warranty coverage, based on the comments. I don't think Progressive has a warranty offering, so I assume it's insurance.

No - I've never had an insurance company balk at costs like you describe. Ever. The policies I have address returning the car to pre-accident condition - there might be arguments to be made about OEM vs. aftermarket parts, but something as broad as replacing a steering column seems beyond argument. Unless the argument is whether the steering column is actually damaged.

Really, we don't have much information here - you've just complained about things Progressive wants you to pay for that you think you shouldn't, with no context at all. We don't even know what happened to your car.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:03 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WJGreer
I'm not clear whether we're talking about insurance here or warranty coverage, based on the comments. I don't think Progressive has a warranty offering, so I assume it's insurance.

No - I've never had an insurance company balk at costs like you describe. Ever. The policies I have address returning the car to pre-accident condition - there might be arguments to be made about OEM vs. aftermarket parts, but something as broad as replacing a steering column seems beyond argument. Unless the argument is whether the steering column is actually damaged.

Really, we don't have much information here - you've just complained about things Progressive wants you to pay for that you think you shouldn't, with no context at all. We don't even know what happened to your car.
this ^^

tell us what happened.

normally after an accident we argue about how much diminished value should be tacked on to the claim not the basics of coverage.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:06 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Sounds a little wonky to me. Cannot tell if it's the OP or Progressive.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:15 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I assumed OP was in an accident, but in re-reading, now not sure.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:40 PM
abz260
8th Gear

My fault, I thought it was clear this was a collision repair since I referenced Progressive. The merits of the repairs aren't really worth the debate. I've already had that with Progressive using the documentation provided by the Porsche certified collision center I am using. I was just hoping to find someone who had been in a similar situation and had to resort to invoking their appraisal clause.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:45 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

I used Progressive for my F-Type SVR back in 2017 and they covered everything, nearly 12k in repairs.. The dealer even waved me paying them the detectable which would have been 1k. If something has changed in the last 5 years I'd like to know and will leave Progressive.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:47 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by abz260
The merits of the repairs aren't really worth the debate. I've already had that with Progressive using the documentation provided by the Porsche certified collision center I am using.
Appears Progressive doesn't agree with you, and that's your issue. One thing I have learned about the insurance game is that there's little subjectivity in claims - what your policy says is what you get.

This does remind me of the Allstate "mayhem" guy who says "if you bought cut rate insurance, you might be paying for this..." Though before now I have never heard report of someone being denied coverage like you described in your OP after an accident. The details are probably in your policy which you [reasonably] did not read closely before you bought it or didn't figure the limitations would come into play for you.

Sorry you're going through this.

Last edited by WJGreer; 06-29-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:52 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

@abz260 - can you elaborate the issue with the steering column? What is the damage to it and how was the rest of the car damaged? Are they saying the damage is not related to the incident? I am sure that you have had detailed conversations with the Progressive adjuster by now - why is he/she saying it is not covered if damaged?
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:58 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

As the owner of a repair facility (though mechanical, not body), we are seeing this all the time now. In particular, insurance companies try to get out of paying market rates on labor. And not just cut rate insurance, State Farm is one of the worst offenders in this regard. I can't remember this being an issue 5 years ago, but lately its been frequent. Might have to do with the fact that the labor market is so tight in this industry, we have all raised our wages dramatically in the last 2-3 years, and thus our billable labor rate has jumped accordingly. Insurance companies are still working with pre-pandemic labor rates.
The following 4 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (06-29-2023), jfischet (06-29-2023), justabout (06-30-2023), Larson E. Rapp (06-30-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 03:58 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Just like all extended warranties are NOT created equal, all insurance companies aren't either. The race for the next best insurance premium deal usually results in situations like there

All insurance companies may cover all brands, but not all of them treat premium brands with exceptions, Geico has been amazing for us over the last 16 yrs. never any issues with labor costs, diagnostics or when we insisted on Original factory parts (Porsche and Audi)
sorry that you are going through this.

Quick Reply: $500 deductible does not mean $500 out-of-pocket