Sponsored by:

Loose Turbo Plumbing or Failed Diverter Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 08:06 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Loose Turbo Plumbing or Failed Diverter Valve

2019 - 991.2 GTS. Had my Spark Plugs changed at 33,500 miles last week at my local Porsche dealer. Took the car out for a PCA drive today (first chance to drive the car other than home from the dealer). Noticed that it was missing some low end "grunt", and was generally sluggish to what I normally experience. So I displayed the Turbo Boost in the MFD to see what was going on. It shows 0 Boost unless I get into the throttle, then it build to about 7psi and dumps back to 0. Even going uphill 1/2 throttle 4000rpm shows 0 boost.

I am open to your thoughts on what is going on?
Old 06-04-2023, 08:12 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Happened the same thing to me some time ago after I took my car to service….. it was some loose plumbing. Took it back to the dealer and problem fixed.

Either way, you should take it back to the dealer for inspection. Work should be guaranteed.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:25 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Yes, I will call the Dealer on Monday morning. Yet my issue is I'm planning on driving from SC to CA at the end of this week for the PCA Parade in Palm Springs. My Dealer's service dept is full this week, yet I will politely force my issue that they get this sorted out this week, so I can drive the car to CA. Just trying to get ahead of the BS that might come my way......

Last edited by 981KMAN; 06-04-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:53 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Yeah, should be a simple matter of a loose hose after the turbo compressor outlet. They messed it up, they should fix ASAP. I mean really, they should have checked their work before they gave the car back to you. On the flipside, you know they didn't rag out your car before handing it back.... so there's that.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 103 Posts

There is alot of plumbing and vaccum connections that could easily get missed doing the job. Im sure they will be quick to fix
Old 06-05-2023, 04:56 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Update: So my Porsche Dealer got me in 1st thing on Monday Morning. The tech who originally performed the Spark Plug change was there and took great interest in my explanation of the cars behavior and asked a handful of questions before pulling the car into a service bay. I was a little surprised as the Service Manager and Tech gave my car 1st priority before anything else they had scheduled, and in retrospect this is what we should expect from a Porsche Service Department.

While I was there, first the Tech plugged in the Diagnostic Tablet and search for any fault codes. Nothing important, yet 1 that might indicate a water pump vacuum issue, where water could goes up the vacuum line into the "COV" system and floods some of the vacuum valves, which include the ones that control the Turbo Diverter Valves. Once the car was up on a lift, we checked the Water Pump Vacuum hose and it was dry, so no issue there. We then checked the Turbo plumbing for anything loose or disconnected, we did not find anything obvious. Next we went for a drive with the Tech having his Diagnostic Tablet connected to the car. He was monitoring the Actual Turbo Boost, the Desired Turbo Boost and the Diverter Valve position and Wastegate position, plus a few other items (lots of stuff on the screen at one time being recorded). We drove around for about 30 minutes, placing the car in different boost conditions and monitoring the Actual vs. Desired Boost levels. Well all work as it should and the car drove perfectly... WTF? Classic "Can't replicate the issue in front of the Tech"......

So the Tech cleared the couple of minor codes (ignition on - no key found, etc..) and we discussed the possibilities from a "Software Glitch" to "some Bad Gas" to "Temporary stuck Diverter Valve" to "Who the F--K know?".....

The bottom line is, I drove my 991.2 Targa 4GTS home and it was running perfect... So I have no idea what the issue was - only that it appears to have gone away.

So off we go on our planned 6K mile trip to California and back...... fingers crossed all the way!!
Old 06-05-2023, 07:22 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Murphy's law.... I've been in that situation many times when I go to the dealer and I can't really replicate the problem.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:55 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

Interesting. Are you still CPO? The 19s had the waste gate mod (like mine) that prevented a stuck gate and replacement of the gates and the turbos. Quite the expense. Supposedly we don’t have this issue. Been reading about disconnected hoses just below the Y inllet duct below the fans but you wouldn’t think they would reattach themselves.

Last edited by vanlieremead; 06-05-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:31 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Interesting. Are you still CPO? The 19s had the waste gate mod (like mine) that prevented a stuck gate and replacement of the gates and the turbos........
Car is a 2019 991.2 Targa GTS, delivered in October of 2019. One of the last 991.2's manufactured. It's still under warranty until this October. We are heading out on a 6K mile trip from SC to CA , then to CO and IN, finally back to SC. So i'll find out if all is OK.... I'm still thinking it was a stuck Diverter or as you question a Waste Gate issue, yet my late model 991.2 should have the upgraded Waste Gate.

Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Loose Turbo Plumbing or Failed Diverter Valve