Sponsored by:

991 Buying Decision Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 02:25 AM
checkmate1996
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 991 Buying Decision Help Needed

Hi! Looking into getting a 991. I have a couple of options on the table and need some guidance on which one and pricing given current market conditions. Also, I'm somewhat agnostic on manual or PDK. I have a couple of other MT Porsche's to get my fix on so I don't want to get too hung up around that discussion. Here's what I have:

2015 - Agate 4S - PDK - Fully Loaded - Red Interior - original MSRP around $135k. 29k miles. I know the owner and maintenance history. (local) Brand new set of PS4S, new PPF on full front clip of car and mirrors, fister exhaust mod. $97k. Super Clean. Owned outright. I have test driven this car and it screams and sounds great.

2017 - Yellow 4S - MT - Fully Loaded - FAL - Burmeister - Fully Loaded - original MSRP $155k. 37k miles. I don't know the owner but have spoken with him over the phone several times and in good communication. 10 hours away. Newer Pirellis (within last 6k miles). Clean from what I can tell in pictures. Clean carfax. $105k. Car has a Bank lein. I have not test driven the car yet.

Thanks for the guidance in advance!
Old 03-09-2023, 03:40 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I wouldn't own a PDK 911, so my bias is towards the 2017. I have a '19 C4S MT that I ordered and perfectly happy with after 22k trouble-free miles (except for three ruined tires due to nails).

The other item is the red interior, which isn't my color.

Al that said, knowing the local car's history and ownership is a big plus.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2023, 05:14 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Model, colour, equipment…all personal choice. For me, tinsel compared to the gearbox. If you must have PDK, buy a BULLETPROOF warranty
Old 03-09-2023, 06:48 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate1996
Hi! Looking into getting a 991. I have a couple of options on the table and need some guidance on which one and pricing given current market conditions. Also, I'm somewhat agnostic on manual or PDK. I have a couple of other MT Porsche's to get my fix on so I don't want to get too hung up around that discussion. Here's what I have:

2015 - Agate 4S - PDK - Fully Loaded - Red Interior - original MSRP around $135k. 29k miles. I know the owner and maintenance history. (local) Brand new set of PS4S, new PPF on full front clip of car and mirrors, fister exhaust mod. $97k. Super Clean. Owned outright. I have test driven this car and it screams and sounds great.

2017 - Yellow 4S - MT - Fully Loaded - FAL - Burmeister - Fully Loaded - original MSRP $155k. 37k miles. I don't know the owner but have spoken with him over the phone several times and in good communication. 10 hours away. Newer Pirellis (within last 6k miles). Clean from what I can tell in pictures. Clean carfax. $105k. Car has a Bank lein. I have not test driven the car yet.

Thanks for the guidance in advance!
The sure bet is the local car since you’ve driven it and know the owner and history of the car.

The 2017 is the change over year from naturally aspirated to the 3.0 liter turbo engine. The whole feel and sound of the 2017 car (991.2) is different than than the 2015 (991.1) car. If the 991.2 is a serious consideration, I would take the time to visit the other seller to test drive the car before making your decision. For the money you may spend, it’s worth a visit!

I am sure my fellow forum members will comment on the other differences between the 991 generations. Enjoy your search… it’s a very big part of the fun!

Last edited by Thor's; 03-09-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:14 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

A lot of variables here. Agree on the difference between NA and the 3.0l turbo has to be considered for your tastes. Definitely drive both close to each other in time. Then the intangibles are a red interior verses a yellow exterior. Usually I agree with get the latest model you can afford. The .2 does have a better entertainment system. But you didn’t say how you plan to drive the car. Traffic, weekend warrior, etc.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:52 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Model, colour, equipment…all personal choice. For me, tinsel compared to the gearbox. If you must have PDK, buy a BULLETPROOF warranty
A warranty costs the same amount as a PDK repair, which is statistically unlikely to be needed.

A couple years ago when they couldn’t be repaired I would have agreed with buying a warranty, but now, not so sure it’s worth it.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-09-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:10 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Have not heard once that the PDK is subject to failure such that it behooves the buyer to buy a warranty for it specficially. all that said, if you like the sound of the exhaust and you take into consideration that the pirellis dont last much longer than the mileage already on them, and you're close with the buyer, it seems pretty obvious
Old 03-09-2023, 10:27 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,144 Likes on 3,010 Posts

If everything was equal, the answer is the manual transmission car. The added bonus here is that the MT car is a 991.2, which aside from the grunt of the turbos, gives you the Apple CarPlay PCM. I have owned a PDK car. They’re great. I am not a manual snob per se, but truth be told, the MT cars will hold their value better and will always be preferred by enthusiasts. Surprisingly, younger buyers want them even more. One big caution flag, don’t buy a used modern manual 911 without a DME/overrev report.

With that being said, things aren’t equal here. You know the owner and provenance of the 991.1 car. You know that it wasn’t in some accident that’s been covered up. There’s also the matter of the bank lien. Personally, I hate dealing with sellers that don’t have free and clear title. It’s one thing to wait on a dealer, but it’s quite another to deal with some rando’s financial decisions to complete the transaction. Title in hand is so much simpler and safer.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:31 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Both of those prices seem way too high IMO. Definitely drive a 991.2 and 991.1 back to back before you commit to one of these cars.

NF.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If everything was equal, the answer is the manual transmission car. The added bonus here is that the MT car is a 991.2, which aside from the grunt of the turbos, gives you the Apple CarPlay PCM. I have owned a PDK car. They’re great. I am not a manual snob per se, but truth be told, the MT cars will hold their value better and will always be preferred by enthusiasts. Surprisingly, younger buyers want them even more. One big caution flag, don’t buy a used modern manual 911 without a DME/overrev report.

With that being said, things aren’t equal here. You know the owner and provenance of the 991.1 car. You know that it wasn’t in some accident that’s been covered up. There’s also the matter of the bank lien. Personally, I hate dealing with sellers that don’t have free and clear title. It’s one thing to wait on a dealer, but it’s quite another to deal with some rando’s financial decisions to complete the transaction. Title in hand is so much simpler and safer.
Excellent point about the title. I'd be VERY uncomfortable handing over payment and then waiting for the title. In fact I would probably pass and look for another car.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 10:52 AM
CFM3
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
A warranty costs the same amount as a PDK repair, which is statistically unlikely to be needed.

A couple years ago when they couldn’t be repaired I would have agreed with buying a warranty, but now, not so sure it’s worth it.
I think a fidelity platinum is sub 4k, no? That's pretty well short of the replacement cost for pdk if I recall, although it also factors in the probability of a failure to be fair.
The following 3 users liked this post by CFM3:
Ironman88 (03-09-2023), pkalhan (03-10-2023), shammerman (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:28 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,992 Likes on 948 Posts

Tough call.. I dislike PDK with a passion but also prefer N/A over the turbo era cars..

That said, Manual will always win as far as driving pleasure/driver engagement s concerned.

I vote MT hands down, in spite of turbo .2 car

my 2 cents and subjective input
Old 03-09-2023, 11:33 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

The pricing between these two is pretty insignificant. So for me it would come down to these things:

Manual vs pdk (I know you say you don't care, but you must have even a slight preference for one. When you envision yourself driving your new car, are you shifting gears or paddles in your dreams?)

NA vs Turbo (essentially sound vs low end tq)

Red interior vs Yellow exterior (for me, not a fan of either, though the agate/red would be my choice between these two)

Mileage/maintenance/familiarity with the car (obviously the agate wins this round)

The other options (seems the yellow may be the better equipt car)

If you were to have built the car yourself, which is the closest to your ideal spec? If you can't say either one is...then keep looking. $100k is a lot of money for a used car. Find one that you just KNOW without a doubt is the one.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:52 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 123 Posts

I always look at resale value. Yellow will take FOREVER to sale, sorry it will. MT always win. As far as Lien, obviously nobody wants to lose a penny but if $100k can affect your well-being neither car is appropriate and in the end the car will own you. You can always hire a local inspector for $350 who will take hundreds of photos of the car and give you an evaluation. Neither car is CPO that hurts value. 2015 should be upper 80's and the 2017 because yellow, low 90's. Yellow just doesn't sale.....
Old 03-09-2023, 04:44 PM
checkmate1996
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 102 Posts

Great advice everyone! Much to think about. I have a 981 cayman S 6 speed for a manual experience. I was looking to have a fun daily driver. I am leaning toward the local car since the seller is a local PCA member and just overall good guy. I am trying to test drive the 991.2 today or tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-09-2023)

Quick Reply: 991 Buying Decision Help Needed