Sponsored by:

Sport/Sport+ Pops/Crackles

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 11:13 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Sport/Sport+ Pops/Crackles

Stock PSE you get more pops/crackles with Sport vs Sport+. It's been documented here many times with comments.

What's the experience with this, with aftermarket exhaust? I personally like it, and always drive in sport. Never really has the urge the drive in Sport+ with the exception of trying out the Launch Control a couple times.

I have the AWE Switchpath exhaust that deletes the rear PSE muffler. I noticed that the pops/crackles are still there with Sport+ and sounds exactly like Sport. Is this the same across the board with you guys?
Old 05-15-2023, 12:07 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,177 Likes on 594 Posts

Of course it’s there with aftermarket exhaust, it’s artificial and due to the engine tune. Engine fuel management used to be more limited, if you tuned a car for high performance you would get some pops. Now the engine management is so good you can make tons of power without excessive pops. Somewhere along the way the pops became “cool” and people would add aftermarket tunes just for the pops, so now manufacturers provide a factory tune to do this. It serves zero purpose and offers no performance benefit but some people like it.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:16 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 292 Posts

Sorry, maybe I was asking the wrong way.

I have a 991.1 NA motor. When PSE is enabled for me (with the aftermarket exhaust) it essentially bipasses the side mufflers and goes through the rear-muffler-delete and out the exhaust pipes, essentially a "straight pipe" past the cats. I've noticed that with my NA motor the pops/crackles sound the same in Sport or Sport+ mode, where it shouldn't according to stock exhaust PSE holders. Car is not tuned, all stock other than AWE rear exhaust (headers, cats, side mufflers, all stock).

Do you NA motor guys have the same pops/crackles in Sport or Sport plus when stock? With your aftermarket exhaust?
Or is this Sport/Sport+ sound different just a 991.2 turbo car characteristic?

My car came with aftermarket exhaust when purchase so I do not have a control to compare to. TIA
Old 05-15-2023, 12:25 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a full SOUL exhaust (headers/200 cell cats/valved exhaust) on my 991.1 na and the "burbel" (aka pops/crackle) are the same in both modes. I prefer them to be honest as they are not obnoxious but stylish in my mind. My car isn't tuned either but I'm looking into it as I would like to hear it more often then I do. I was told it's hard on the cat's though (eventually will burn them out) with the excessive fuel? Not sure if thats truly the case bit I guess we'll find out...LOL
The following users liked this post:
RP4S911 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 06:49 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I stand to be corrected, but the 'backfire' in SPORT mode is not related to the PSE, but rather to the engine timing.

My previous 982S had SC but not PSE, yet there was a noticeable difference in exhaust note in S or S+.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:18 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I also have center muffler delete and I do not notice a difference with afterfire between sport and sport plus when the valves are open and it is straight piped.
The following users liked this post:
RP4S911 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 02:42 PM
jsurf44
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't notice any sound difference between sport and sport+ until adding an after market X pipe (yes I realize it is in the tuning and I believe just adding fuel during the exhaust stroke) but for me in a 2013 C4 I do NOT hear pops and crackles as described when using sport+ just in sport mode.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:43 AM
Canes78
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Of course it’s there with aftermarket exhaust, it’s artificial and due to the engine tune. Engine fuel management used to be more limited, if you tuned a car for high performance you would get some pops. Now the engine management is so good you can make tons of power without excessive pops. Somewhere along the way the pops became “cool” and people would add aftermarket tunes just for the pops, so now manufacturers provide a factory tune to do this. It serves zero purpose and offers no performance benefit but some people like it.
No offense but I think your argument may be flawed. My experience, though anecdotal, is that removing the cats or a muffler delete creates more pops. At least it did with my 911 TT. I also saw more flames with the cat delete and the aggressive tune. I am assuming it is because the maps are designed not to let you go lean and grenade a motor but I would love for Sam from ByDesign to weigh in on this topic as he is a preeminent tuner. Just an opinion and not designed to create a flame war.
Randy
Old 05-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Canes78
No offense but I think your argument may be flawed. My experience, though anecdotal, is that removing the cats or a muffler delete creates more pops. At least it did with my 911 TT. I also saw more flames with the cat delete and the aggressive tune. I am assuming it is because the maps are designed not to let you go lean and grenade a motor but I would love for Sam from ByDesign to weigh in on this topic as he is a preeminent tuner. Just an opinion and not designed to create a flame war.
Randy

Agreed, the less restriction in flow the better for the car to breath, but the point was in adding additional fuel for flames/burbble, it's more for enjoyment then performance. Yes No kind of sort of.(LOL)....when tuning especially with an "aggressive tune" they are optimizing the fueling/timing and when you have more air flow (exhaust) you'll need more fuel (intake), the more fuel (when tuned right) the more power....... thats my armchair mentality........

Last edited by Viper1000; 05-18-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:52 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Hey guys. I didn’t get a chance to read the whole thing, but I can tell you there are tables in the ECU mapping to adjust these things. You can increase or decrease in different modes as well as mess around with a Flat controll. A different Exhaust will definitely make it react differently. Not always the same because they can be different and back pressure can be different. Hope that helps.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Quick Reply: Sport/Sport+ Pops/Crackles