Sponsored by:

WING

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 11:01 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by yosshaa
Different strokes but I much prefer the OEM look versus the 'wing on a wing' hot boy look.
That is OEM.

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I never understood how adding wing#2 on an existing ducktail made any sense at all, vs just another GT3/Techart style wing. It's like a cheap ebay 3m add-on afterthought. Just my personal preference though. Too busy.
I am sure the Porsche engineers, who do massive aero testing, didn't just "3M add-on afterthought" that. The Aerokit Cup front spoiler is engineered differently. I am pretty confident there is a chance they thought about it, engineered it, tested it, and understood it. So it probably made sense to them.

Seriously? I understand it is not your taste, but these statements make no sense.
I think the deployable spoiler looks goofy, but that is my preference. I will however acknowledge that it was properly aero engineered, tested, and actually makes a difference. Otherwise it wouldn't be there.
IMO it ruins the lines of the car when deployed, looks silly, and reminds me of the Chrysler Crossfire, but I don't doubt it works. On top of that, there is a close to 100% chance the spring mechanism that retracts the spoiler will break at some point. It is well documented on this forum as a weakness.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
bradthe (05-19-2023), gc88 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 11:53 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of you smart porsche people know if it's actually possible to change the speed at which the active wing deploys?
Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
That is OEM.

I am sure the Porsche engineers, who do massive aero testing, didn't just "3M add-on afterthought" that. The Aerokit Cup front spoiler is engineered differently. I am pretty confident there is a chance they thought about it, engineered it, tested it, and understood it. So it probably made sense to them.

Seriously? I understand it is not your taste, but these statements make no sense.
I think the deployable spoiler looks goofy, but that is my preference. I will however acknowledge that it was properly aero engineered, tested, and actually makes a difference. Otherwise it wouldn't be there.
IMO it ruins the lines of the car when deployed, looks silly, and reminds me of the Chrysler Crossfire, but I don't doubt it works. On top of that, there is a close to 100% chance the spring mechanism that retracts the spoiler will break at some point. It is well documented on this forum as a weakness.
I agree. When I was in the middle of my NA 991.1 search I didn't want the standard wing because of the deployed look on a light color (I wanted white), and the Aero Kit Cup wing like I mentioned looks to me like an add-on, which it is. That's why I searched for the SportDesign/Ducktail. The ducktail provides no downforce, it was originally just to lower lift caused at high speeds. Porsche did not want to add the GT3 spoiler to the Aero kit so they just developed an add-on to the ducktail to try and give it some downforce. I remember a Porsche tech explaining that the reason the Aero kit cup car has holes in the lower front bumper vs the GTS bumper is to combat the funky aero of leaving the ducktail still there. Apparently there isn't much air that travels between the two wings so in order for it not to become an air brake the air forced back under the car helps to put back alittle lift into the rear. I hope I'm reiterating that correctly. It's really interesting. Essentially it takes away some top speed but gives you a couple mph in extremely fast corners. The engineering behind anything Porsche does is so extensive. But yes, it is a "stick-on afterthought" but one that works the way it should! It's a rare option to have so anyone that does it'll be a unicorn in the wild in the future, for sure.
The following users liked this post:
bradthe (05-19-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 01:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

I have a ducktail only and have tracked my car at speeds of 150MPH plus. I am still alive.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:04 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I agree. When I was in the middle of my NA 991.1 search I didn't want the standard wing because of the deployed look on a light color (I wanted white), and the Aero Kit Cup wing like I mentioned looks to me like an add-on, which it is. That's why I searched for the SportDesign/Ducktail. The ducktail provides no downforce, it was originally just to lower lift caused at high speeds. Porsche did not want to add the GT3 spoiler to the Aero kit so they just developed an add-on to the ducktail to try and give it some downforce. I remember a Porsche tech explaining that the reason the Aero kit cup car has holes in the lower front bumper vs the GTS bumper is to combat the funky aero of leaving the ducktail still there. Apparently there isn't much air that travels between the two wings so in order for it not to become an air brake the air forced back under the car helps to put back alittle lift into the rear. I hope I'm reiterating that correctly. It's really interesting. Essentially it takes away some top speed but gives you a couple mph in extremely fast corners. The engineering behind anything Porsche does is so extensive. But yes, it is a "stick-on afterthought" but one that works the way it should! It's a rare option to have so anyone that does it'll be a unicorn in the wild in the future, for sure.
@RP4S911 Well said. A unicorn indeed, especially if it is not black, white, or silver.

Quick Reply: WING