Sponsored by:

Have you added a ducktail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:52 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you added a ducktail?

See my other post re. the seller of the ducktail (hoping to receive it soon). Anyway, I know I should get the active wing deactivated. Based upon the shape and angle of the wing, I don't think it'd hit anything if it went up. I've read conflicting things about the wing raising for cooling purposes, but that seems odd to me because the factory ducktail cars (sport design cars) don't have active wings, right? Anyway, I don't think it'd hit anything if it went up, so in theory, I could elect not to have it deactivated. I'm trying to imagine what it'd look like for the ducktail to be in the up position. Not sure what it'd do to the car's aerodynamics. Nothing good, I'd imagine.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:02 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I could elect not to have it deactivated.
Then you'd get errors I believe from your car's computer.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:03 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Why would it give me errors? It would just raise and lower the ducktail. It might look funny to see the ducktail raising, but I can't see why it'd even know that i swapped out the flat stock wing with a ducktail.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:53 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTSPD2
Why would it give me errors? It would just raise and lower the ducktail. It might look funny to see the ducktail raising, but I can't see why it'd even know that i swapped out the flat stock wing with a ducktail.
It will look very goofy when deployed and could be unsafe at track speeds. You should get your spoiler de-activated.

I assume the seller is just re-selling the NR Auto ducktail, since it replaces the flat painted top of the normal actuated spoiler? https://nrauto.com/products/porsche-...cktail-spoiler

Old 05-08-2023, 10:56 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

The seller told me that he supplies NR Auto with their spoilers.

and I agree, it’d likely look goofy.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:04 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The seller told me that he supplies NR Auto with their spoilers.

and I agree, it’d likely look goofy.
Strange; IDK what's true, but NR Auto sells that tail to others (https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-9...-p-479603.aspx), under their own name, and the NR Auto website clearly shows them being the manufacturer of custom parts (https://nrauto.com/pages/about-nr-auto).

You'd think if they sold it to NR, they'd be able to sell it cheaper than NR sells it retail???
Old 05-08-2023, 11:04 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

If you’ve taken apart your OEM spoiler, there are 3 big components - the top spoiler (painted part visible from outside), the plastic undertray that the top spoiler sits on and the base with the motorized assembly.

The factory ducktail (the top spoiler equivalent) comes with its own undertray. And that undertray needs its own base (non-motorized). Unless you want to drill holes to mount the undertray on your OEM base, you will need to buy the right parts. Using the right parts will mean that you avoid the problem of guessing if something will break if the spoiler raises etc

But if you’re looking at aftermarket ducktail spoilers, they come with the top spoiler and undertray and you’ll just replace the OEM equivalents of those. And in this case, if you don’t program the car as a fixed wing, you’ll have a raising ducktail 😊 You can skip coding so long as you drive like a granny because the downforce difference of a raised ducktail is not insignificant 😁

Old 05-09-2023, 11:28 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

See my other post re. the seller of the ducktail (hoping to receive it soon). Anyway, I know I should get the active wing deactivated. Based upon the shape and angle of the wing, I don't think it'd hit anything if it went up. I've read conflicting things about the wing raising for cooling purposes, but that seems odd to me because the factory ducktail cars (sport design cars) don't have active wings, right? Anyway, I don't think it'd hit anything if it went up, so in theory, I could elect not to have it deactivated. I'm trying to imagine what it'd look like for the ducktail to be in the up position. Not sure what it'd do to the car's aerodynamics. Nothing good, I'd imagine.
Sounds like there is some confusion here. When you add a ducktail it removes and replaces the wing that will open/lift. It's not an add-on to the existing moving one. Nothing will move once you add this ducktail. You WILL get errors because the car will try to send a signal to lift the oem wing but it will be completely missing so it will tell you there are malfunctions. That is why you get it reprogramed. More importantly, get it programed BEFORE adding the ducktail, since the ducktail slides in place and then is bolted down, last thing you need is any old wing mechanism trying to work under the ducktail and everything becoming a mangled damaged mess.

I'm assuming you have a 991.1 to be going this route, since it doesn't work with the 991.2 . Make sure you're aware that with the ducktail you require the wider horizontal (standard) engine cover slats. Even the GTS when spec'ed with a ducktail gets that standard cover from the factory, the GTS and 50th Anniversary oem grille's do not work correctly with a ducktail. If you have the standard grille, you're golden already.

Last edited by RP4S911; 05-09-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:05 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

The aftermarket ducktails do not attach as you've described them. They could still go up and down...
Old 05-09-2023, 01:21 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

I have seen an aftermarket version that connects like the OEM one, so you have to buy that OEM mounting plate I know @AdamSanta85 had one, but sold it
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:52 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have seen an aftermarket version that connects like the OEM one, so you have to buy that OEM mounting plate I know @AdamSanta85 had one, but sold it
I had this one, but right when I was about to drop the car and spoiler off at the body shop, an OEM one painted my color already at a fair price popped up on RL, so I sold the 9XX Teile version. It did look like a nice part, it was molded from the OEM part because it had all the same stampings, etc. It needed a trip to the body shop for sanding and professional painting to make it install-worthy.

https://www.9xxteile.com/en/ducktail...mk1-acc911001p

Regarding the error codes, yes, the car will throw an error on deploy and retract events, but it doesn't affect driving.

You can deactivate the errors pretty easily by coding the spoiler out with a PIWIS, X431, Autel, etc., without going to the dealership. I can do it for anyone in Tri-State.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 05-09-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:03 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Thanks Adam. If you ever find yourself in Maryland, let me know!

Quick Reply: Have you added a ducktail?