Sponsored by:

lowering springs rear perch setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023 | 08:57 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Default lowering springs rear perch setting

Hello all,

I have a small situation that I was hoping to get some guidance on.

~2 months ago I had my 991.2 lowered using Eibach springs at a well known motorsport shop in the DMV. They typically specialize in BMW's, but do have experience working on 911s, including this exact install etc.

When I scheduled the work, and when I dropped it off, I reconfirmed multiple times that the rears would be set on the lowest setting. Based on all my research, with the conservative drop Eibach provides, this was pretty much needed to give the rear an even drop.

The long story short here is they did not do it and they did not ask me if it was ok to not do it. I got the car home and shined a flashlight under it immediately and was able to see the setting and then e-mailed them to confirm.

The response to my question of if it was set on the lowest setting is below.

1. I respectfully disagree about the opinion regarding stance, I think the car does have too much rake right now in current form.
2. Is there any validity to the comments regarding control arm angle...or should I just take that as a scare tactic so I didn't push back harder on the work being redone properly?

What I was hoping to get from the wise ones here is there any truth to #2?

I am at the point where I am ready to stand firmly on them doing this work the way I asked and confirmed multiple times, but I don't want to be jerk about it and I don't want to play myself if there's some truth here. I have not seen anyone in my research mention any of this. I understand the shops apprehension to admit it was a miss by them, because taking the rears out and realigning the car is a decent bit to eat....but I'm not really happy with the stance now that I've gotten to drive the car for a couple months and I think they fed me nonsense.

Thoughts from the crowd?

Thank you all.

pictures of car/height for reference

Last edited by jpu1; 05-03-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2023 | 10:17 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

So for reference, I've owned a few general repair/tire shops for the past 16 years. If the shop is not admitting fault, and making an excuse like this, I would take it as a grain of salt and move on. Find someone to adjust the rear, have an alignment done, and move on. Forcing a shop to do something that they clearly don't want to admit fault for or do, smells of a mess waiting to happen in my opinion.

Its a shame people cant just admit fault. Human error happens. As I tell my clients, mistakes will happen, but it is how we deal with and address the issues is what really matters.
Old 05-03-2023 | 10:26 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pappagray
So for reference, I've owned a few general repair/tire shops for the past 16 years. If the shop is not admitting fault, and making an excuse like this, I would take it as a grain of salt and move on. Find someone to adjust the rear, have an alignment done, and move on. Forcing a shop to do something that they clearly don't want to admit fault for or do, smells of a mess waiting to happen in my opinion.

Its a shame people cant just admit fault. Human error happens. As I tell my clients, mistakes will happen, but it is how we deal with and address the issues is what really matters.
Well said and why I'm confused. I have no issue naming the shop as I'm not here to bad mouth them. It's RRT racing, and from everything I can tell they're a knowledgeable shop, and this shouldn't be anything outside of their wheel house. However, I also agree with everything you've said above. Sucks but I do agree, having to push to get something done that should've been done the first time and giving the car back to a salty technician eating a few hours of work is never good.
Old 05-03-2023 | 10:32 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I don't know what your communication is with the shop, but they did say they would be willing to lower it more if you want, so I do not see them wanting to avoid anything unless I am missing something?
Old 05-03-2023 | 10:38 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I don't know what your communication is with the shop, but they did say they would be willing to lower it more if you want, so I do not see them wanting to avoid anything unless I am missing something?
Good point...

That may be on me for overall reading comprehension, but I was left feeling like the first part of the reply didn't support the 2nd if that makes sense? I.E. if their justification and reasoning is legit, then lowering it would be not a good idea as they seem to imply...like yeah we could do that but we don't want to because of X and Y....well if X and Y are actually BS then you're just telling me what you think will make me not take you up on the offer.

See what I'm saying? Not exactly a hey we're sorry bring that back right now and we'll make that right...if they fed me BS they really don't want to IMO, so before I were to press I wanted to vet the technical piece of their reply ya know?
Old 05-03-2023 | 10:54 AM
polobai
Drifting

I would not be happy and would take it back to get it done at the shop. Mainly on principle as it was clearly asked to be done.
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:05 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Originally Posted by polobai
I would not be happy and would take it back to get it done at the shop. Mainly on principle as it was clearly asked to be done.
I hear ya...and to not be done without any heads up or prior approval, had I not gotten home and checked and asked, they obviously never would've told me the work wasn't done as requested.
Old 05-03-2023 | 12:06 PM
polobai
Drifting

Yep…plus the car has a noticeable rake. My car is lowered on h&r springs on the lowest perch and there is no problem with the control arms. That’s more of an issue up front where you can experience bump steer from going really low. Here is how mine sits:

The following users liked this post:
JuanK20 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 12:13 PM
jpu1
Instructor

Yep…plus the car has a noticeable rake. My car is lowered on h&r springs on the lowest perch and there is no problem with the control arms. That’s more of an issue up front where you can experience bump steer from going really low. Here is how mine sits:

yeah...the rake is killing me. Going to try and pin them down today on a solution....
Old 05-04-2023 | 09:38 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Eibachs here with rears on lowest perch setting.

polobai (05-04-2023)
Old 05-16-2023 | 10:25 AM
jpu1
Instructor

Cars back @ the shop today to have this corrected. First thing the service advisor said to me when I walked in and he looked out the window "I think thats going to be too low in the rear"

I'm done with this place...haven't been able to back up that take with anything but words, don't have any good reason why they're the only people saying that...all while ignoring that the tech art instructions call for it to be set lower!

Craziness...

Last edited by jpu1; 05-16-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2023 | 01:09 PM
polobai
Drifting

Nice. Please keep us posted-show them pics of ours if it helps.
Old 05-16-2023 | 04:07 PM
Harsany
Racer

Car looks great

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Eibachs here with rears on lowest perch setting.

Old 05-16-2023 | 06:31 PM
jpu1
Instructor

Nice. Please keep us posted-show them pics of ours if it helps.
my next step was actually to show them your car and post…

but all is well that ends well. The rear was adjusted and the car was realigned. It looks undeniably better in my opinion. I also don’t know how you could say that too low in the rear either but I digress…

Before

After
polobai (05-17-2023)
Old 05-16-2023 | 08:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I think the rear looks too low.

Ha, ha. Just kidding.

Car looks great!

Quick Reply: lowering springs rear perch setting