Sponsored by:

Sold my 911 for a Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 10:38 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
I've been contemplating making this move instead of a 991.2 or 992 GTS. The AMG TTV8 is a great platform, and I personally am a fan of the mercedes electronics and switch gear. I just really like having a back seat area for my dog.
i found the cabin to be the same size as the 911 if not a little tighter..
Old 04-24-2023, 10:48 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
I've been contemplating making this move instead of a 991.2 or 992 GTS. The AMG TTV8 is a great platform, and I personally am a fan of the mercedes electronics and switch gear. I just really like having a back seat area for my dog.
AMG GTS would be a sweet ride...I noticed they have come down a lot on pricing.
Basically anything not a 911 is coming down... but there is a reason why Porsches hold their value.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:22 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Druid1
Getting an Italian car and a car with a V12 are both on my wish list. But I only have room for one fun car in the garage for now, so I wanted a relatively reliable and modern car that I can take out on weekends without worry. One of the things I loved about my 911 was the rock solid reliability and engineering. In my 7 years of ownership of my 911, I had no issues and only needed routine maintenance. I was concerned about Aston's historical reliability issues but took some comfort in the fact the new Vantage's engine and most of the interior electronics are now from AMG/Mercedes. Some old time Aston owners consider this to be a negative but I prefer it with the German parts. The interior is also from the last gen Mercedes (that's Aston's deal with Mercedes to get only the last gen) and I like all the buttons and switches compared to touch screens.
The biggest pain with owning an Aston is the parts availability and there are some things that only the dealer can diagnose because they have their own proprietary software. I had an emissions leak code on my car and my usual indy shop couldn't find anything wrong and figure it out, they said I had to take it to the dealer. $500 diagnostic and many hours of diagnosis later (making the $500 a "good deal" really) it needed a new purge valve and gas cap. There were zero aluminum gas caps available anywhere in the world, there was only one plastic one available. I paid $180 for a plastic gas cap and it cost me about $2000 to get everything fixed, and altogether it took about a month to get the parts. I'm sure if those items were fixed on a Porsche it would have cost me 50-70% less. Pretty frustrating for something so simple but I really loved driving the car.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:28 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Druid1

Neighbor of mine has one the same color, but wheels are nowhere as nice as your spec. It's wild how wide it looks from a distance, looks much wider than my WB 911.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

What beautiful styling!

I always liked the long nose with the rearward seating position a-la-Ferrari Daytona from way back and the mint and low mileage Ferrari 550 Maranello that was advertised on Rennlist over the years that I almost bought. I ended up with my 991 GTS instead.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:54 PM
czechchamp
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Also interested in hearing about the shift action / feel in Aston.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:45 PM
Druid1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by czechchamp
Looks great! Also interested in hearing about the shift action / feel in Aston.
The Vantage has a dog leg 7 speed, which takes some getting used to. You need to think before shifting every gear, and finding the right gear on downshifts is harder for me for some reason. It does not have a gated shifter, but still makes a satisfying mechanical click with every gear change. The clutch is easy to use. You can also flat shift (shift w/o taking your foot off the gas). It seems unnatural so I haven't tried it yet.

Quick Reply: Sold my 911 for a Vantage