Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO 991.2 availability and pricing - What’s worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023 | 02:19 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by HardRider
I agree 30K miles seams to be the cut-off for many with high disposable income. IN MY OPINION ONLY most 911 buyers are not mechanically inclined. They rely on dealer guidance. They know of BMW/German nightmares. Sooooo they buy with low miles and CPO to hedge their bets. I am mechanically inclined, I have taken mine apart to find rattles. In the end its just nuts and bolts, triple square fasteners. As I have said before my next 911 doesn't need to be CPO. Porsche charges what they know people will pay. Porsche tax is very real. If I had to do it again from an investment perspective I would have bought the 2013......... If money isn't a concern I would have bought the one I did. Again the 991.1 and 991.2 are very reliable vs other "exotics". If you are on a budget buy a base 991.2 without 4 wheel steering, without PASM (if I got that right) and I suspect you won't will have an extremely reliable car. For example Porshe is happy to charge $700 for a battery, which is the same battery in my boat I paid $129 for. I not even going to discuss the lithium batteries in the new 992 4 S's. There was a gorgeous 2017 911 manual 4S on BAT with 50K miles, sticker was $150K? it went for $88K deal of the year. I have no clue why it didn't go more. It had some higher revs in the ????? report. Complete BS to me. That was deal. My only guess all the option scare some away......
It is funny how 30k seems to be that "scary" number. I purchased my '14 TTS with 50k last July, but like you mention, we do a lot of our own wrenching too.

Would I have liked fewer miles? Of course! But I got a better deal for a slightly higher mileage car and a TTS at that! Been rock solid so far and if not, we can fix it or the 3rd party warranty will hopefully kick in.
Old 04-23-2023 | 04:17 PM
HardRider
Racer

Letting my 15 year old daughter drive my 911 (manual transmission) with student driver placard taped to rear window is priceless. The looks I get are worth it all day long...... Amazingly 95% of drvers give more room with the placard, so worth it when she is driving. Then I make her drive it up and down the street while I watch it.
The following 4 users liked this post by HardRider:
Cur (04-23-2023), Levy (04-23-2023), SConn (04-23-2023), shammerman (04-25-2023)
Old 04-23-2023 | 05:10 PM
Levy
Racer

Letting my 15 year old daughter drive my 911 (manual transmission) with student driver placard taped to rear window is priceless. The looks I get are worth it all day long...... Amazingly 95% of drvers give more room with the placard, so worth it when she is driving. Then I make her drive it up and down the street while I watch it.
that's awesome! thinking i'd be willing to pay a couple bucks to see this =). love it!

and i thought my dad was awesome letting me drive his new caddy/land yacht back in the 70's when i got my DL....not even close!
Old 04-24-2023 | 03:16 PM
Atheist
Racer

. 991.2 prices peaked last June, dropped till end of December than stabilized and now increasing.
I did shop for cars during the time frame you mentioned. Bought my 991.2 gts on December 27th 2022. Had been watching the prices since summer and they always seemed a little high but in the end I wanted a car and felt like the end of the year was a good time for the best deal I was going to find, since I found one specked the way I wanted. Although the number of 991.2 gts CPO cars out there was low and the prices were a little crazy in the summer it did seem like they had dropped slightly and stabilized. Also I have been watching the market since I purchased end of the year and have noticed they are still about the same. I think basing a purchase decision on where you think prices will be in six months is pretty difficult and the difference between a overheated market and a cooler one is rarely going to make up for time lost behind the wheel if you find a car you really like. My GTS ticked all the boxes for me. Low 18K miles Carmine red, PDK, GTS interior package, carbon fiber package, 18 way seats, RAS, Sport Exhaust, Premium Package .... I paid $121K but by the time tax, license, and an additional 5 year 60K warranty on top of the CPO was added I was in the $135K neighborhood out the door. I didn't expect to add the extra warranty but considering it can dropped for a pro rated refund at any time for the unused portion. It is transferable upon resale which will help resale value (I don't intend to sell and drive it daily) I thought the gamble was worth it as I can assume from past Porsche experience if the warranty doesn't pay off completely at least a good portion of it most likely will be. Typically I self insure but a warranty sure paid off on my Cayenne, and I can put a lot of miles on with peace of mind.
Old 04-24-2023 | 10:05 PM
HardRider
Racer

I have purchased many cars on the lower end of the market. These had more bumps and bruises, more wear and tear. After I get them and piece meal what I can as far as replacements parts, I pamper them in the garage but the bumps and bruises don't disappear. In other words my fixed cost (space consumed) stays the same with a rusted car or a Porsche. In this case I wanted a 9 out of 10, paid a little more, and never thought about price again. I did determine a glove compartment for a 2013 911 is $1K from Porsche (this was a learning which helped me spend a little more for one in better shape). Color, Transmission/Model and then price, if you go off just price you will not be happy. Case in point I found 2017 911 manual with 6K miles and I don't think it was ever driven in rain. It showed as new, 3 miles from my house. it was YELLOW. The deal was so easy, no shipping, clean Texas title. It was Yellow. I checked what a wrap would cost to go silver. Guy said $8K and I would be much better off buying a different car. I am so happy I didn't take the easy route and buy the yellow one. Nothing against Yellow I just don't want it. I am sure some loathe silver, cool.
Old 04-25-2023 | 07:13 PM
HardRider
Racer

Everyone buy MSFT??? I should have bought GTS......

This week should be interesting I bought msft and amazon they are both reporting. from my post above. So much easier to make money than to save money......

298.22+22.80 (+8.28%)
After hours: 6:13PM EDT

Last edited by HardRider; 04-25-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2023 | 07:14 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Unrealized gains are unrealized.
Old 04-26-2023 | 04:18 PM
HardRider
Racer

Funny I always realize losses immediately. The MSFT gains were realized at 10:48 am this morning.
Old 04-26-2023 | 06:18 PM
Frankfurt1470
Advanced

For whatever it's worth: 2018 C2, CPO, PDK, 22k miles, $91.5k asking (Porsche Dealer)

https://www.porschefortmyers.com/use...7FLVG6,281ZD,1
Old 04-27-2023 | 12:34 AM
sr2002
Instructor

I'm curious though if people are actually paying these list prices. I'm seeing so many base 992s from 2020 listed around the $115k mark with original MSRPs at $105-110k. Its hard to determine if the markup on the 992 is a better deal or if the markup on the 991.2 is a better deal. Most 991.2s on the market are at or around the 5 year mark in their age with older generation interior (even though this is subjective, its safe to assume newer interior is more desirable) and prices still in the low to mid 90s. Its kind of tough call. I don't absolutely need a 911 now, but I said that two years ago, waited and things got worse now lol.
Surprisingly the base Taycans are available at very attractive prices, one thought is to buy a Taycan for now at around $80k, drive that for 2-3years, get in line for the 992.2 order list and trade it in when that arrives. Downside being, two seperate transactions = more loss, so might work out the same as overpaying now for a 992. Analysis paralysis
Old 04-27-2023 | 11:01 AM
HardRider
Racer

This 4 or 5 year old variable doesn't affect my purchase analysis as much as it does for others. All the 911's I looked at were stored in garages, not daily drivers. I have seen 1 year cars with more bumps and bruises than 10 year cars. Then again my Tundra has less rock chips than my 911, the Tundra has zero. It all gets back to the owner and how they cared for it. Its like renting a house, the most important factor is the renter. You get the right renter everything else is easy. As far as prices only F150's have more option packages than 911's. You will be in the 80's for 991.2 if you want less than 30K miles. You will be upper 80's to mid 90's if you want 991.2 with manual transmission. Now that I have done it, on a $100K 911 I would credit CPO with $2K. It is not a new car warranty. Its more legend than reality. On the flip side the 991.1 have bottomed and fully depreciated in my opinion. Max I would go for a 991.1 with manual transmission is $75K, PDK $70K. The 991.2 will always be worth more than the 991.1 even with all the NA BS. The 991.2 torque delivery is exponentially better than the 991.1 for regular driving. Oh if you are a race car driver go GT3, 991.2 you looking at $180K plus. Why buy a GTS? you can buy a 991.2 for mid-80's throw in $8.5K in new porsche turbo and tune and you have GTS for mid-90's which is $25K? below GTS market.
Old 04-27-2023 | 01:30 PM
Atheist
Racer

This 4 or 5 year old variable doesn't affect my purchase analysis as much as it does for others. All the 911's I looked at were stored in garages, not daily drivers. I have seen 1 year cars with more bumps and bruises than 10 year cars. Then again my Tundra has less rock chips than my 911, the Tundra has zero. It all gets back to the owner and how they cared for it. Its like renting a house, the most important factor is the renter. You get the right renter everything else is easy. As far as prices only F150's have more option packages than 911's. You will be in the 80's for 991.2 if you want less than 30K miles. You will be upper 80's to mid 90's if you want 991.2 with manual transmission. Now that I have done it, on a $100K 911 I would credit CPO with $2K. It is not a new car warranty. Its more legend than reality. On the flip side the 991.1 have bottomed and fully depreciated in my opinion. Max I would go for a 991.1 with manual transmission is $75K, PDK $70K. The 991.2 will always be worth more than the 991.1 even with all the NA BS. The 991.2 torque delivery is exponentially better than the 991.1 for regular driving. Oh if you are a race car driver go GT3, 991.2 you looking at $180K plus. Why buy a GTS? you can buy a 991.2 for mid-80's throw in $8.5K in new porsche turbo and tune and you have GTS for mid-90's which is $25K? below GTS market.
I would have to respectfully disagree a bit about the Why buy a GTS. Nice low mileage 991.2 base cars with CPO are typically in the mid $90's from what I see. So add your $8.5K turbo and tune and you're around 100K and you have the HP of a GTS? What about the center lock wheels, what about the GTS interior pkg? What about the Carbon Fiber trim or the suspension difference and RAS you are likely to find on a pre owned GTS. What about the fact the a base 911.2 does not have the wide rear end many prefer? What about killing the warranty with a tune? Regardless of the statement "it's not a new warranty" it is pretty good in my experience. By the time you make the base car ALMOST a GTS the difference is negligible at best. As I was looking at cars it became clear to me that I wanted a GTS and that the GTS represented the best value for the package of options I liked, and found on almost every pre owned GTS. Personally I don't buy a car I think I have to immediately modify as I would just buy what has what I want from the beginning. Also I don't think comparing a modified base car to make it closer to a GTS makes any more sense than modifying a GTS and adding a tune to get to Turbo S power. It is not an apples to apples comparisson. If that was the desire I would have just bought the Turbo S. The thing about purchasing a Porsche is that resales are directly related to the badge. I judge the price of car ownership on the overall experience through the end. If you buy a base car which is a wonderful car, and modify it to be a wanna be GTS you will most likely find the mods will not return the value on resale as a stock car with the badge. I think paying more for an S or GTS going in just means a higher resale upon exit. Pretty much a wash. The main value of a GTS is the options package comes at a significant discount to begin with. JMO
Old 04-27-2023 | 03:41 PM
HardRider
Racer

I agree there is no way to make a 991.2 into a GTS without exceeding the cost of just buying a GTS. I was suggesting you could get a ton of additional performance out of a 991.2 base for not a ton of money. I passed on a 2017 991.2 with 22K miles for $83,500 in very good condition. So theoretically i could have had 500hp for under $95K. Again I had to have a manual transmission. Truth be told the one I passed on must have had a tune because it was much faster than mine. I did drive a manual like mine with a tune and it was a different beast. I loved it, but I was scared when I bought mine about repairs and got CPO. Now I am handcuffed if I want to keep CPO and can't put a tune on it. truth be told I WANT A GT3. Just another $100k lol.
Old 04-27-2023 | 06:23 PM
Atheist
Racer

I agree there is no way to make a 991.2 into a GTS without exceeding the cost of just buying a GTS. I was suggesting you could get a ton of additional performance out of a 991.2 base for not a ton of money. I passed on a 2017 991.2 with 22K miles for $83,500 in very good condition. So theoretically i could have had 500hp for under $95K. Again I had to have a manual transmission. Truth be told the one I passed on must have had a tune because it was much faster than mine. I did drive a manual like mine with a tune and it was a different beast. I loved it, but I was scared when I bought mine about repairs and got CPO. Now I am handcuffed if I want to keep CPO and can't put a tune on it. truth be told I WANT A GT3. Just another $100k lol.
I do agree with you in theory, but performance is not just about HP and why I own a Porsche instead of a Dodge Challenger Hellcat, which is my point regarding the non engine/ power aspects of what comes with the GTS. Truth be told unless I was using it on the track, a GT3 wouldn't be for me. I have a friend who sold a GTS and got a GT3 and he is regretting it. His wife hates it. It's too harsh for driving on most roads, and really needs to be at high revs to enjoy it as it was designed. Great on the track for what it was designed no doubt, but on the street not so much. Ironically chasing horse power is incongruent with the notion of saving money. My main point is the cheapest way to get a higher HP car is to just buy one that is higher in the stock form. It's cheaper in the long run and the warranty issues don't exist. You can always add a tune and mods after the warranty expires. Also just out of curiosity, if speed and performance is so important, why do you have to have a manual? Please don't take this as argumentative, I am curious. I'll assume it is because the manual provides you with driving pleasure that outweighs the downgrade in performance. Doesn't having the CPO add to the driving enjoyment by eliminating a lot of worry about repairs? Trying to increase performance while at the same time worrying about the cost is very counter intuitive. A person cannot really expect to get to 500 HP on a budget because no matter how successful you are at getting there, buying the lesser price base car and modifying it, the budget gets blown when you are actually out enjoying your horsepower because it comes with the high cost of tires, brakes, wear and tear etc. In the end the old saying you get what you pay for tends to hold true. I believe the lack of anxiety about repairs provides greater pleasure than the extra HP would if you tuned and lost the coverage in any real world street driving scenario. Just like the pleasure you get from a MT is worth the performance trade off.

I personally find the least enjoyable part of owning my GTS has nothing to do with the money as much as that I drive it as my primary driver while at the same time I need to:
Have it clean and looking perfect all the time, worry about door dings, rock chips, pot holes, people getting in it and dragging their feet across the door jams, interior parts... I could go on but I'm sure we all go through that especially in the early stages of ownership of a car that for many is their dream car. It isn't the money as much as just pride in ownership. Keeping it stock and the CPO and extended warranty in place, reduces the anxiety to some extent, but still I am on public roads and surrounded by lunatics.
I was the same way with my Cayenne for years while using it as my car for everything. Now it is my extra car for surfing, cargo, more than one passenger etc. Still in great shape but I find I enjoy it now more than ever, as my insanity has transferred to my 911 and use the Cayenne as the utility vehicle with much less worry which has increased the fun aspect tremendously.
Old 04-27-2023 | 09:15 PM
HardRider
Racer

I wanted a manual for the shear entertainment of changing gears. It adds the same entertainment as another 200hp in my opinion. The auto-rev is just to cool. In reality it has the perfect power for my style driving. Very predictable and simply won't get out from under me. I will not own a "toy" car without manual transmission. My last toy was a Superformance Cobra. 550hp in 2,600lb car. It was a blast from 0 to 100 and with tires costing $89 you could boil them off for all but free. The 911 is diametrical different, it is a blast from 70-120. The problem with the Cobra is weather in Houston is do deplorable with heat, rain actual usage is very low. The 911 can be used anytime. I owned over 30 cars the one that checks all the boxes and does the most "perfect" is the 911. The closest second Toy car is a Superformance Cobra. One huge advantage the Cobra has financially is they just keep going up. I had three and everyone I sold I mad $10-15K and now they're worth another $10-15K what I sold them. I would not own a Cobra unless you are a decent shade tree mechanic. They are alway needing something and something is always coming loose.......

Quick Reply: CPO 991.2 availability and pricing - What’s worth it?